Ooooh... How do I start this one off?
I made another thing, technically two things, a pair, if you will. These don't actually serve any practical purpose, like the apron, they were just fun to make.
Started off by deciding on a pattern, I picked one I used for a previous build and cut out the blanks. That was the easy part. Creating the central design took me the better part of a day before I had something that pleased me.
When it comes to creating original designs that are intended to capture the essence of a culture, the various Nordic art styles throw me for a loop. I'm used to the Northwest coast native art where they have basic guidelines and shapes that are used in almost all their art. The Nordic styles either have very intricate and complex guidelines or none at all that I can tell. Being my own worst critic, I'm never sure if what I've cooked up captures the look I want.
I spent the next day and a half bashing my head against the wall in an effort to dream up a boarder design. Eventually I settled on a simple braided knot thing.
I did the tooling, punched some lace holes, and scored the edges for stitching later.
Choosing what colors to dye this.
Didn't do anything really dazzling as the color goes, stuck with only two, dark and light brown. Ideally I would have used an antique gel to make the designs pop more, basically weathering, but I don't have any of that (yet). To try and replicate the antique finish I applied the dark brown dye to all the little nooks and edges and then quickly wiped it away. There was not a whole lot of improvementamd I risked completely fucking it up.
Next step was sewing on a liner to the underside (which may have been a mistake) and setting the grommets for the lace holes.
That's pretty it for this, I'll do another pair of bracers at some point later on. Next though I think I'll be making a new bag.