Forums > A World Fractured

CH 4: R&R

Posts (284)

• AJF117

AJF117

#32720562 - 4 years ago

May 26th, 2070
    Ellsworth AFB VMC Barracks

I start placing my folded clothes into my olive green dufflebag. We were being given some time for R&R after that mission in Ukraine. That mission was pretty stressful so I'm glad that we are finally being given some time off. We were going to the Denver area since I always wanted to visit, and Saphire has family there. "I wonder how we are getting there.. Could always take my HMMWV down to colorado." I spoke to myself as I placed an AKMS into a long gun case alongside a supressor, and several mags. The AKMS is a pretty old gun design, but it was cheap, and reliable. Good enough for self defense if it comes to it.

I close the case, and place it against the wall next to my dufflebag.

fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/017/3/e/kalashnik...

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720563 - 4 years ago

Sitting out along the balcony of the barracks overlooking the VMC flight line i think of returning to Denver with Alex.

Denver, despite not really caring about the people there, there was still a few interesting places i had come to know and i am sure he'd be happy to take a tour.

Being used to traveling light, and having my civilian clothing at home, i didnt have much to pack.

• AJF117

AJF117

#32720564 - 4 years ago

I grab the gun case, and my dufflebag, and walk out to the balcony. I am wearing my usual civilian clothes: A pair of tan cargo pants, a black T-shirt, and my specially made combat boots. I notice Saphire sitting out on the balcony. "Hey Saphire. Hows it going?"

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720565 - 4 years ago

I look over, "good morning Alex, and good, been making arrangements for denver, your? "

The roar of two Albatross' flying off the distant flight line catches my eye as they rise into the sky and angle towards the neighboring city, probably just training.

• AJF117

AJF117

#32720566 - 4 years ago

"I've actually been wanting to go to Denver. That's why I have all this stuff packed."

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720567 - 4 years ago

"Awesome. Well there is a flight taking new cadets back to denver for reserves training and there are open seats for us. Its tomorrow."

• AJF117

AJF117

#32720568 - 4 years ago

"We'll have to rent a car when we get there then. Unless there's room for my HMMWV on the plane."

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720569 - 4 years ago

"doubtful, i doubt they want that crammed on it. And they have some taxi businesses going again in denver so a rental or getting a ride home houldnt be an issue."

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720570 - 4 years ago

"doubtful, i doubt they want that crammed on it. And they have some taxi businesses going again in denver so a rental or getting a ride home houldnt be an issue."

• AJF117

AJF117

#32720571 - 4 years ago

"Alright sounds good. When does the flight leave?" I sling my dufflebag over my shoulder.

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720572 - 4 years ago

"6am in the morning, we'd arrive by the afternoon."

• AJF117

AJF117

#32720573 - 4 years ago

"So how is Denver? I've never actually been there before."

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720574 - 4 years ago

"There is good and bad about it. There is a lot of poor people and the western edge is considered off limits due to the by-products of scientific engineering, pollution and such. It effectively makes the mountain basin off limits, alongside the graves of the UC there. Its also where they dumped off ordinance, IED's, and debris that couldnt be salvaged. Outside of the pass, the western district is a landfill.

The better part is the mall and revival of the city itself, which has tons of things- modern universal fit clothing, holographic advertising, and the near complete restoration of 2020 infratructure, including cellphone networks and internet access. There is good education, and for the smart ones, excellent job opportunities."

• AJF117

AJF117

#32720575 - 4 years ago

"Sounds nice. I've got protection if he venture into the... Seedier parts of Denver.." I lift up my gun case. "So will I be welcome there? I haven't been out much so I don't know how people will react. The Germans were nice enough." I walk over to the edge of the balcony, and look out towards the base.

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720576 - 4 years ago

"I think you'd be and oddity no matter where you go, some may accept you, many may not. The culture of denver is conservative to a degree unlike those of nevada and the west coast. You dont have to worry about violence, like getting mugged- you do have to worry about druggies though, and not getting involved with gangs. We still have drugs moving up from south america and denver being a big as it is, is a destination point. Interesting thing though, is that the intelligence that makes the city strong, also washes into the gutters- and there is particularly high quality synthetic drugs in the black market... its popular for military use out on the field."

• AJF117

AJF117

#32720577 - 4 years ago

"Alright. Might have to get some of those form fitting clothes. I don't have many options right now."

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720578 - 4 years ago

"They are really quite interesting- they use the equivalent of a 3D weave printer and elastic threads. Something some of the university students dug up from california. Sponsored a caravan to track one down, invested in repairing and reproducing it, and now its quite the popular thing... a bit pricey though."

• AJF117

AJF117

#32720579 - 4 years ago

"Well if Europe, and Russia go to war we'll have plenty of work."

The next morning.

I get up from my bed, excited. Today is the day we catch the flight to Denver, and I can't wait. I quickly collect my bags, and head out to the barracks balcony.

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720580 - 4 years ago

Waiting at the strip in the cool morning air, i wait by for aj to join up with me. The other boot cadets where waiting by, excited to be going home, or to thier next station. Some though stole glances at my direction trying to check me out. Despite that, i had worn modest clothing unlike those in denver who had less to show.

The flights like these where now more efficient- using renovated commercial aircraft that survived the crisis, and this morning, we'd be taking a small airbus.

• AJF117

AJF117

#32720581 - 4 years ago

I walk over to Saphire, wearing the same clothes as yesterday. "One of these days I've gotta convince Alex to let me drive his Ferrari. Roll around in style." I looked towards the other cadets, and the airbus as it's taxied over by the ground crew.

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720582 - 4 years ago

Most of the cadets looked clean cut and straight from training, they still had that motivated air about them.

I chuckle a bit, "Wait until we have to listen to them talking about thier boot camp stories... im going to put my music going the second we take off."

• AJF117

AJF117

#32720583 - 4 years ago

"Same here. I lived through it I don't want to hear about it again." Soon the airbus is taxied over, the stairs are brought over to the plane, and boarding can begin.

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720584 - 4 years ago

i load up first so i could grab a seat near the front- away from the noisy and so we could get off quickly. Taking the window seat i lean back and link my ear buds to my collapsable datapad. The interior looked to be in good shape despite being what must have been 40 years old or more.

• AJF117

AJF117

#32720585 - 4 years ago

I follow Saphire in, and sit down next to her as the cadets file into the plane. I plug my headphones into my smartphone, and turn on the music. Once the cadets were onboard the plane is taxied onto the runway, and begins taking off. "Much better than the seats in the C-5. Metal benches are painful to sit on for extended periods of time..."

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32720586 - 4 years ago

"it's probably the reason why you could pack hundreds of people on it with combat loads and still have space."

I lean back in my seat as the aircraft roars off the runway and lurches into the air as we make our climb higher in the sky, then angling towards denver, giving us a view of Rapid City.