Forums > A World Fractured

The Ring of Steel

Posts (156)

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772504 - 4 years ago

Warsaw, Poland,
    3rd Guards Tank Division Command Post

I kneel on the back of my T-80BV, all around me all my tools are carefully laid out as I preform scheduled maintainace on the engine. During the initial assault on the German defenses in western Warsaw we pushed our tanks pretty hard while trying to the make a breakthrough so command is having us do maintainace while awaiting orders from high command. All the tanks are lined up in the parking lot of the warehouse we were using as the battalion CP. All the crews were either performing maintainence or trying to get some rest before the best major push. The officers walk down the line of tanks keeping an eye on things while music plays out of a nearby portable radio.

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32772505 - 4 years ago

As the crews are working on thier tanks are running inspections, i take a break to open a can of beans we had been supplied. There wasnt enough time to heat it, but non the less they tasted fine.

The tanks power was stressed, but there was nothing wrong with its performance, and the sighting calibrations where completed before the mission. Additionally we had taken no hits, although word was that engagements to the south had resulted in the loss of some people we knew in training. Despite that, word was that the war was easily in our favor.

I look over to stukov, "Irony that germany will be repeating its surrender at russian hands a second time huh."

Command had said that the germans where underpowered, a strategic smash would lead to a quick victory, and that the south was to be our example.

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772506 - 4 years ago

"Our next victory day parade will be in Berlin at this rate comrade." I lean down into the engine compartment, and continue tuning the engine, my hands turning black from the grease, and oil getting on them. "I heard our comrades in the south have smashed the Italian defenders, and are just mopping up the rest of them before the eventual push into France."

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32772507 - 4 years ago

"Seems more like they're more likely to lose a track hitting a rock than anything those weak southerners can do. It was clear germany wanted to create another fascist empire. There is a reason why russia stayed united, and why our people survived, and why europe didnt."

The checklist was done, the tanks condition was all perfect. The next mission was going to be our first major armed engagement with the germans not far from Warsaw, and the mission was- there was a defensive gauntlet around a major urban crossing, and if we cant take it, we cannot secure a safe crossing to invade germany. The light armor elements would draw thier tanks, the reserves would flank to the left and right, we'd be with the left element.

The captain says not to be too cocky, but i think its well known that the germans arent equipped to fight us. Thier best allies to the north arent even capable of attacking the motherland alone, and thier counterparts to the south are in full retreat.

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772508 - 4 years ago

"The captain is right. To underestimate our enemies is to give them an advantage. The Germans are going to fight tooth, and nail here. They can't hold us forever, but I'm sure they'll make us pay for every inch of ground we take." I climb into the commander's hatch of our T-80BV, and take my position inside. I put on my helmet, and test my headset real quick to make sure the internal comms are working properly.

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32772509 - 4 years ago

I get into the drivers seat and plug in my headset, "radio check over."

The gunner, viktor responds, "Radio check roger, radio check?"

"loud and clear."

The diesel turbine roars to life and all systems are running. A few miles away was the river crossing, as soon as we muster up into formation, it will be go time.

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772510 - 4 years ago

"Alright keep your head on a swivel. We are fighting in heavy urban terrain so we cannot afford to be careless." I get comfortable in my chair, and await the order to come down from divisional command to move on Warsaw.

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32772511 - 4 years ago

Over the radio the general gives the call to make formations. We'd make a column and cross the northern bridge and flank south where the German armored defenses where expected to be defending. There was moderate tree lines and the enemy tanks would be defending with augmented urban infantry, accompanying us in the rear was the mechanized infantry, three platoons alongside upgraded APC's.

I shift gears and we rumbl onto the main road, where now, there was over a dozen tanks, flanked by APC's off to the shoudlers.

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772512 - 4 years ago

I look out the commander's parascope, and watch the convoy roll towards the bridge. "Hey if we do good they might upgrade us to a T-90 or one of those shiny new T-14 tanks."

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32772513 - 4 years ago

"If we got a T-14, it'd eat my pants Stukov... we'd have to kill half thier armored corps to get that sort of recognition."

Currently we had the standard division unit, a T-80, not even a squad lead tank like the dozen T-90's with us. With resupply coming, a few good marks would get us a tank though.

The convoy begins moving and as we continue forward i look to the distance of the low empty fields and distant treelines. The sky was empty and blue, and everything was green around us.

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772514 - 4 years ago

"Then we just have to try really hard won't we Rolf?" I chuckle at the mental image of Rolf eating his pants.

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32772515 - 4 years ago

After half an hour, we begin crossing over the bridge. There was already chatter about the initial force hitting the center, and a few aircraft dogfights. The german tanks should be drawn away enough for us to get the jump now.

The commander radios, "A units to your formation staging area, we have a few minutes, and the light armor cant last long, lets not let them die for us."

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772516 - 4 years ago

"Confirmed. Rolf move us up to the forward staging area. We should be moving in soon."

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32772517 - 4 years ago

Our squad, Sierra 4 would be forming a diamond formation, and the T-90 taking the rear, we would be on the left point. With a radio check and report to the T-90, we are all green. After a few minutes, the entire column formation is ready. Now, we where moving for battle.

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772518 - 4 years ago

"Alright I need everyone to stay on their toes, we can go toe-to-toe with some of the earlier leopards, and light armor, but those A7 will tear us to shreds."

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32772519 - 4 years ago

"got it. Vik, you those trees for tanks understood?"

He replies back,"Got it, Rolf."

The lead elements where now approaching a tree line, and the target area was only about a mile from it. That tree line and afterwards would be the combat zone.

(you commanded the tank forces, you may want to fill the commanders shoes and give orders.)

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772520 - 4 years ago

"All units are to proceed forward as planned, maintain even spacing, and keep your eyes peeled out there. We have reports of forward Anti-Aircraft batteries in the area. Your primary objective remains unchanged, but if you can remove those AA batteries forward air can provide air support. Command out." I look through the parascope, and scan the treeline. "You heard the man. Our order of engagement is Leopard A7, other Leopards, Anti-Aircraft batteries, and finally light tanks."

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32772521 - 4 years ago

With the orders we continue on. The first elements of the tank column disappear into the treeline as we skirt around it just to the south.

It was quiet- and then- just ahead of us, there is a flash and an explosion- I cant see from the viewing port, but our tank rumbles from the ground and the radio from the team lights up- "Airstrike! Sierra 1-1 is hit."

"Status report!"

"damaged badly. still operational."

"We must continue, we cannot fail."

"Understood!"
    From the tree line ahead, the lead tank elements had begun to engage. The T-90 lead radios to us, "Marking tank locations, there is a defensive line of 2A5's, they are slugging it out with the lead strike elements."

Overhead German fighter jets roar, clashing with our comrades in the sky. "Are we getting air support like they said?"

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772522 - 4 years ago

"We are on our own until those batteries are taken out! I'll radio battalion command, and see if they can divert some mobile AA our way! This is Sierra 4-1 to command we've got German fast movers engaging us we need some Anti-Aircraft support immediately before we start taking some serious casualties!" After radioing command I turn to Vik. "Engage those leopards as they appear! We need to draw some fire off of our comrades in the center!"

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32772523 - 4 years ago

As we skirt around the forested area, the battlefield quickly becomes evident- there was a defensive line of leopard tanks engaging the spearhead. I drive towards them and viktor fires the first round, which glances just off one of the tanks. The squad leader radios, "to our flank!"

As he says that, two leopards emerge from the forest accompanied by AT mounted IFV's.

"Vik! To your 10!"

"Got it, traversing to target!"

The T-90 already aiming to return fire- fires and the grass around round us flattens with the shock- and the round hits the leopard, but to little effect.

Seeing it, i update lead,"Negative to hit, its still active!"

The lead T-80 is hit by one of the AT- IFV's but it fails to penetrate, "Sierra 2-1, status report it yellow. Engine power is flickering. Requesting to- "

As he's radioing- the Leopard fires and the transmission is cut short as Sierra 2-1 catches fire and a jet of fire blows the turret off, which crashes to the ground nearby.

I realize that the hit had punctured straight through the tank, and the leopard had glanced off one of our own rounds, "Thats a.... i yell to Stukov, "Thats one of the A7's! Theyre using them to flank us! We need to break off from the flank and face them!"

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772524 - 4 years ago

"Fuck! Sierra 4 break off from the main line, and engage those A7! Hit the fuckers with the 9M119M Refleks now!"

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32772525 - 4 years ago

Locking on, Viktor fires one of the guided rockets which hits one of the IFV's and disables it. Quickly, he adjusts to aim for the leopard and fires- but the round is narrowly off and misses into the trees behind.

A returned shot glances off our armor and there is a loud shreik as the uranium slug shears off part of our armor. "We are hit! Systems all still green!"

The second leopard fires and hits another tank squads T-80 that was flanking with the main force, which was now advancing on the leopard defence line. There was smoke rounds going off, which would allow the rest of the force to overpower the leopards with numbers.

I yell up to stukov,"The main force is out of their range, we should try to move back before we take another hit."

At this point the engagement had been going on for about an hour, and the main defense line was about to break.

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772526 - 4 years ago

"We need to take out that A7 or we are going to get knocked out while we pull back! Vik! Aim for the turret ring of the A7, and fire!"

• ShitsBroke51

ShitsBroke51

#32772527 - 4 years ago

Vik shouts back, "I got it"

We fire another found and the shell hits the targeting camera on the turret and there is a shower of sparks and the round tears off and flies overhead. The two A7's and the remaining IFV's move back into the woods, but it'd be suicide to pursue.

There smoke had concealed the rest of the field and the assault head was regrouped and prepparing for another assault, this time to finish off the remaining leopards. I look over, "We should rejoin the others."

• AJF117

AJF117

#32772528 - 4 years ago

"Alright fall back, and regroup with the others. Command will want us to move again soon."