Forums > A World Fractured

CH3: Mud and Iron

Posts (62)

• AJF117

AJF117

#33331616 - 2 years ago

I stand at the observation deck of our corvette as we finish our jump into the system, just as I had hoped the coordinates I had were still good, and we were able to jump right to the planet Sigma 3. The planet which is the third orbiting this blue dwarf out of twelve is right smack dab in the star's habitable zone, but due to the contents of its atmosphere it is perpetually humid, covered in huge marshes, and rich in a mineral vital in the refining process of ship fuel. The planet used to be a vital resupply hub for BAN ships in the outer rim but it was quickly taken during the early days of the conflict, and forgotten about over the years. Fragments of destroyed BAN ships, and orbital platforms still orbit the planet, and an old space elevator still stands after being abandoned for so long.

"Prepare a VTOL for departure. The refinery is right next to the elevator on a rock plateau. We're searching that first."

• ginko13

ginko13

#33331624 - 2 years ago

(what kind of gear are we packing? and how many troops, just soi know?)

>>Recon

I give AJ a nod, "gotcha."

I run a pre-check on the flight controls and everything runs green, all mechanics and the engine run good. "Everything looks good here."

• AJF117

AJF117

#33331635 - 2 years ago

((Gear for traversing dense mud, gear for recovering stuck vehicles, gear for cutting through metal, and around 20-30 people. Engineers are required. Oh and vehicles that can hover if we have any.))

"Alright once we land we need to secure the refinery. The refinery is sitting on the only ground hard enough for heavy lift VTOLs to land on. If we got any hover vehicles we better pack them. Tracks and mud don't mix." I get into the VTOL, and walk over to recon. I use a holographic projector with data I uploaded onto it to show the huge refinery complex. It is about 10 square miles in size with huge concrete perimeter walls, automated defenses that are currently offline, and near the wall are the quarters for the staff of the facility. On the northern end are the storage tanks, and two pipelines to the elevator one for bringing in unrefined fuel, and one for sending fuel out. In the center, taking up most of the space is the large refinery itself feauturing large smoke stacks, miles upon miles of pipes, office buildings, maintenance buildings, and landing pads for VTOL aircraft. "We'll need to get those defenses online as soon as possible. There are some extremely hostile local wildlife that come out at night so when the day ends we better get inside. Every day on this planet is 8.25 hours long, and the nights are 12.75 hours long this time of year. So we'll need to use our time carefully."

• ginko13

ginko13

#33331672 - 2 years ago

(im fairly certain we'd have some land vehicles in the Panz considering its a ground combat operations corvette. We will go with amphibious capable APCs. How about something like LAV's fitted with railguns? Engineers and utility gear should be in easy supply so i wouldnt worry about that. 

Is there a team layout you want? It may make the mission in game easier if i run with my own team. Also makes it easier for you to give me in-game problems to deal with.)

"sounds like we are going to be in for a thrilling mission AJ. I thump him on the shoulder."

The engineers are busy loading fuel and ammunition into the VTOLs hold and the loadmasters are towing the MAAPCs (med armor, anti-personnel carrier) and connecting them to the undercarriage of the VTOLs. Everyone is busy staging gear or ensuing last minute checklists.

"Just like old days."

• AJF117

AJF117

#33331698 - 2 years ago

((Unless it uses pumpjets it'll get its props caught in the swamp plants and shit as for team comp I want 10 engineers, 3 heavy gunners, 12 infantry, 2 medics, and 3 demolitions expert.))

"Thrilling doesn't even cover it. The mission on this god forsaken rock was pure hell for me. Taking that refinery while fending off those creatures at night was a nightmare, but command wanted that refinery taken in tact.

• ginko13

ginko13

#33331722 - 2 years ago

(i imagine the propulsion method would be a turbine/pump method given its way into the future and most equipment should be swamp tolerant by a amphibious perspective.)

"Damn, what exactly are we up against? Any prospect of getting that space elevator running you think?"

• AJF117

AJF117

#33331727 - 2 years ago

"Imagine earth crocodiles and alligators but 15 feet long, and really really territorial. Lucky for us they are nocturnal and vulnerable to UV light, but you'll need floodlights to scare them off. As for the elevator it took no fire, and they are built to last. Get power flowing, grease the gears and it should work.

• ginko13

ginko13

#33331735 - 2 years ago

"Jesus. Well at least we will be able to work inside the facility and not venture outside far... hopefully"

One of the corporals reports, "the preparations are ready for the flight."

• AJF117

AJF117

#33331757 - 2 years ago

"Let's just hope nothing leaked out. I don't want to know what happens when you mix ship fuel along with 15 foot killing machines and let it sit for a couple centuries." I take my seat, and strap in. The forecast for the season was raging thunderstorms, although even with the cloudy weather they still only come out when the sun sets. "Hope you guys don't mind getting wet. Because on this planet it rains most of the time. And when it rains it pours.

• ginko13

ginko13

#33332398 - 2 years ago

I buckle in as well. I look over at the other VTs also packed with equipment and supplies. "I bet flying with gear through a tropic storms gonna be hell ha."

• AJF117

AJF117

#33332404 - 2 years ago

"They'll have to deal with it until we can secure the elevator." I look out the window at the planet below. "There's going to be some turbulence."

• ginko13

ginko13

#33332522 - 2 years ago

The plans look ready to me, most of the ship crew had taken a safe distance from the aircraft and everyone else was seated in. 

I grin, "let's do this"

• AJF117

AJF117

#33332572 - 2 years ago

The VTs lurch forward, and begin descending into the atmosphere of the planet. As the VTs enter the cloud cover they begin to shake, and get buffeted by sheets of heavy rain. Lightning is flashing all around them as they get closer, and closer to the ground until.. The clouds fade away, and the thick forested swamps are made visible. Directly ahead is the massive walled off refinery complex, and the orbital elevator stretching off into the sky. Visibility is poor, the rain combined with dense fog has limited significantly, but luckily the instruments are able to guide them to the landing pads in the center of the complex. The VTs set down, causing a long drawn out metallic creak from the platforms. The ramps are lowered, and I step out. 

"Alright we've got 3 objectives. The control room of the facility, the generators, and the barracks. Recon you can choose what we do first."

• ginko13

ginko13

#33332624 - 2 years ago

"Want me to lead a team to the genies, you take the facility, or stick together?"

With the low lighting we'd need IR. With the cold rain and lack of any power, we'd likely pick up nothing, and reptiles here wouldn't show.  

• AJF117

AJF117

#33332626 - 2 years ago

"It's up to you. Sticking together could be a smart move considering we don't know if there's any hostiles within the walls 

• ginko13

ginko13

#33332644 - 2 years ago

"True." I think for a second, "I'm confident in our men's capabilities. I'll take 2 engineers, 4 grunts, a heavy gunner, and myself. I we get in trouble we will radio you ASAP. Are any of the guys here able to lead our element to the generators?"

• AJF117

AJF117

#33332666 - 2 years ago

"Jack over there was part of the team assigned to guard this place during the occupation. He can lead you there." I point at one of the infantry units, an old medium frame with JACK written on his shoulder in white blocky military letters. "I'll take 2 engineers, and 3 infantry to the control room. That way we can tell you immediately if there's a problem.. Oh and we never found some of the BAN personnel after we took the place over. So keep an eye out for some dead bodies so we can give them a proper burial."

Jack gets up, and looks around after wiping some water off of his optical lens. "The generators are in a hardened basement near the barracks. I know of an old manual service door we can go through since most of the other doors need power to open." Jack walks down the old rickety metal stairs. Once at the bottom he sticks to the concrete path between patches of mud. In the mud there are a few half sunken rusted out BAN vehicles, one of which is an old Mark I precrisis main battle tank which has a hole from a sunsteel Sabot round in the turret ring. Just ahead is a series of single story bunkhouses, a cafeteria building, an old armory, and the concrete bunker leading down into the service tunnels, and generator room.

• ginko13

ginko13

#33333050 - 2 years ago

Leading the element I direct the team with the grunts leading the front and one in the rear, the heavy gunner in the rear and the engineers guarded in the middle. 

"1 watch our 12, 2, at 10, 3 at 2."

The leading three combat frames take a combat stance with their weapon trained in their sectors. 

"7 watch our rear, 6, you support him."

With a full perimeter watch on the patrol, we move cautiously through the bogged area. The heavy gunner, myself, and the guide are all in the center.

• AJF117

AJF117

#33333059 - 2 years ago

So far everything is quiet, but you get the feeling something is watching you. Nothing is showing up on thermals as you approach the main blastdoor Jack goes to work opening it, but strangely enough there's no dust on it meaning it was opened recently. 

"Recon we are in the control room now. We've got emergency power, and from the looks of it there's a breach in fuel tank 3. It's reading critically low, and the ground water monitors show dangerous amounts of chemicals polluting them. Stay on your toes."

• ginko13

ginko13

#33333068 - 2 years ago

"Roger that." I radio back.

I look around for a security perimeter. Taking into account the likelihood of the wildlife hunting us, we'd want the HMG on a vantage. "Gunner, get up on the roof with 7 watch this approach for movement. 7 watch his back."

" 1,2,3 , storm the door, clear your sector. Engineers don't stray from the grunts, find the tank and figure out the danger level, we don't need a stray round blowing all of us away. 

I stick with the team.

• AJF117

AJF117

#33333076 - 2 years ago

The inside of the bunker is adorned with crude tribal symbols made out of scraps of metal, and scavenged rags. They seem to resemble three long claw marks. On the walls themselves there are long deep cuts from razor sharp claws. Leaned up against the wall is a rather crude sword fashioned from bits and pieces of metal with strips of cloth wrapping the grip. It seems to vaguely resemble an old earth broadsword rather than a simple machete.

At fuel tank three the engineers find a hole in the tank near ground level, and craters where fuel collected before eventually fully seeping into the ground over the centuries.

• ginko13

ginko13

#33333169 - 2 years ago

"You two repair the tank."

The rest of us stand guard around them. I look over the wall art, "seems we've got sentient life here." I upload the feed to AJ to look over. "Look familiar AJ?"

I point out to the others, "you see anything that doesn't like like an alligator, hold you shot unless it's coming for you."

• AJF117

AJF117

#33333181 - 2 years ago

"I haven't seen anything like that before. There was no sentient life here besides BAN settlers." I scratch my head, and take a closer look. "There might be mutants down there. Stay alert."

As they approach the main chamber they finally run into the inhabitants. Several large reptilian humanoids are manning a mounted machine gun emplacement. They have large horns protruding from their heads, and they wield old BAN equipment salvaged, and jury rigged back to somewhat working order. The humanoids cautiously eye Recon, and his team. They are on guard but none of them are aiming their weapons at them. The one behind the gun with dark green scales speaks in a deep voice. "Identify yourselves!" They can see other reptilian humanoids including women and children behind the barricade in a makeshift village of tents and scrap structures. The generators seem to be in one piece, but the fuses have burnt out.

• ginko13

ginko13

#33333227 - 2 years ago

I look them over and glance over my own troops, "at ease troops." They lower their arms slightly.

I look at the reptile, "We are Vali, no longer Opval if that means anything to you. We are here to repair this place and salvage some gear to bring home, we are here for peace. You can relax, if there is anything we can reasonably help you with, let us know."

I look at the 200 year old machinegun covered in tarnish.

"And also, that machinegun is more likely to explode than fire, I'm just saying for your safety..."

• AJF117

AJF117

#33333240 - 2 years ago

The reptilian look at each other, and relax. "BAN left us to die here, and their shoddy fuel tanks poisoned our water turning us into this." The largest reptile, one with sleek black scales leans on the sandbags, and spits on the ground. "If you can help us we can help you. If you take us in we can show you the location of an old OVPAL Mark I tank frame. We would've salvaged it sooner, but we haven't been able to gain access to the maintenance buildings. That's why we have yet to replace the fuses." He adjusts the strap he used to sling his rifle over his shoulder, it's made up of the skin of the large creatures of the swamp. "There's an industrial frame in the garage along with fuses. It can be used to pull wrecks from the mud. OVPAL changed the door codes on us so we couldn't get the door open."