Forums > Board Games & Tabletop Games

Battletech

Posts (241)

• DarthDidious

DarthDidious

#4295233 - 13 years ago

Since there isn't a thread here for Battletech, I thought there ought to be.

Well I'm a long time fan of Battletech. Its an awesome game, and the universe that surrounds it is awesome too. So here's the thread for it. I'd like to offer up some linkage though to some sites that you really should check out if you are Battletech fans (and don't already know of these sites):

Battletech Universe- This is the number-one fansite for Battletech. Its a great place, and it has an active forum community. Sign up for it, and be sure to fill out the REFERRAL FORM and select "General Edwin Amis" off of the drop down menu. I'd really appreciate that.

In fact, I'll give 5 mods to everyone who signs up to their forums and fills out the referral form. You also have to make at least 10 posts for it to count. Give me your username so I can check that you signed up. I'm not kidding, I will give you 5 mods if you do this. Thanks.

The other really cool thing about that site is that they have system that's sort of like the mod point system we have here, only its C-Bills, and the great thing about it is that YOU CAN ACTUALLY USE C-BILLS TO BUY STUFF (only catch is 150 000 C-Bills = $1.00 USD). You get 1000 C-Bills every time you post, and you also get bonus C-Bills for rewards and winning contests and stuff. They have Mech Design contests, fiction-writing contests, painting contests. Its really a great site. You can even have games with people using a special program called MegaMek that is basically a computer version of Classic Battletech. The computer does all the dice rolls. Its pretty good. You can play against other players or against bots.

So anyway, its not just some forum. There's lots of features and its just plain awesome! JOIN UP! ....and please fill out the referral form! smiley0.gifsmiley0.gifsmiley0.gifsmiley0.gif ....c'mon now, 5 mods.

There's also FanPro's Official Classic Battletech Website. Its pretty good too. They have an online store where you can still buy many Battletech products like Technical Readouts, Sourcebooks, Scenarios, Minis, Mapsheets, etc. They even accept PayPal. There's even some new publications coming out, so all of you who thought your beloved Battletech was out of print, IT AIN'T TRUE. You can still buy most things. Battletech is alive and well.

So, check those links out.

And as for this thread, I'd like it to be just a nice discussion of all things Battletech related. I'd prefer if it remained centered around the actual game itself and not the computer games. That's for a different forum, and this thread is likely to get locked if it starts to be nothing but a discussion of the Mechwarrior computer games.

That's all.

• Shura0107

Shura0107

#4296513 - 13 years ago

I've never played the board game, but I read the books and played the computer game. I have a computer version of the board game, but since having never played it, I am quite clueless as to what to do. Anyways, I hope this thread will have more people posting in it.

• DarthDidious

DarthDidious

#4296589 - 13 years ago

Is that program called MegaMek? You can use it to play people online apparently. That's why you might want to have a look at the Battletech Universe site. You could probably find people on the forums. But I guess if you don't know how to play the actually boardgame it makes things a bit difficult! You should consider getting into it. Its pretty fun.

• Shura0107

Shura0107

#4296697 - 13 years ago

I have no one to play with. And I think it is MegaMek. Someone else from the RvB forums told me about it. I forgot who it was.

• aaerith

aaerith

#4299826 - 13 years ago

I tried MegaMek out a while ago - didn't much like it. Oh well, I love the board game and I've played all of the PC games that I can get my hands on.

I have a question: Does anyone else feel that Mechassault and Mechassault 2 are almost an affront to the whole B-Tech Universe? It just seems that when I play it (which I try not to), I'm playing a retarded version of Mechwarrior 4.

• DarthDidious

DarthDidious

#4300383 - 13 years ago

I never played Mechassault so I can't really say.

But remember I don't want this to be a discussion of the video games, this is the Tabletop games forum, so we should talk about the tabletop game. We run the risk of getting locked unless we do so. I guess MegaMek is technically a videogame, but its just a computerized version of the table top game meant to allow you to play against bots and other players online, so its not really the same.

Maybe I could start things off by asking people what their favorite factions are. I've been a fan of the Eridani Light Horse from day one. They just kick ass.

• Scragman

Scragman

#4300446 - 13 years ago

I've played some table top battletech, it's one of my favorite games. I'm a fan of using light/medium energy based mechs with lots of small, fast vehicles.

I don't nessesarily have a favorite faction, unless you count being a Merc as a faction (don't have a favorite Merc faction either).

Post edited 4/17/06 8:56AM

• DarthDidious

DarthDidious

#4301410 - 13 years ago

smiley9.gifsmiley9.gifsmiley9.gif LOOKY HERE smiley9.gifsmiley9.gifsmiley9.gif

I just found a petition to get a Mechwarrior/Battletech movie made. Everything for a movie is set to go, they just nee to convince the Hollywood big-wigs to fork over the cash, and if we demonstrate that there is enough demand from fans that will help get it made. There's also work on a short film that will be used to help convince the studio execs to finance the film.

So if you want to see a mechwarrior film, SIGN THIS PETITION

• Irondragon

Irondragon

#4303465 - 13 years ago

signed on to battletech universe as Irondragon388

• aniyn

aniyn

#4308765 - 13 years ago

It would be a dark age movie, so thumbs down from me.

• DarthDidious

DarthDidious

#4310871 - 13 years ago

Well even so I'd be all for it if it was well-done and not some cheese-fest.

• aaerith

aaerith

#4312630 - 13 years ago

Yeah, if it was well done, I wouldn't care too much.

SO who else thinks that Dark Age has definetly gone down teh tube?

• Scragman

Scragman

#4312866 - 13 years ago

I never much cared for it myself. I'm stuck in the 3030-3050ish time span. Those were, in my opinion, the best years of battletech.

• Crickett

Crickett

#4313683 - 13 years ago

In reply to aaerith, #12:

No, mostly because I thought Dark Age started off down the tube and I tried not to pay much attention to it.

• DarthDidious

DarthDidious

#4314099 - 13 years ago

I also didn't really like the direction the story had taken, what with the Word of Blake Jihad and all. The New Star League got canned and everything went to shit. I find it really hard to believe that the Word of Blake was able to mount such a devastating offensive, but apparently they used nukes. In any case, I myself think the best period of Battletech was 3025-3060. My favorite books took place then, and that's when stuff was the coolest. I read a few of the DA books too, but they just weren't the same. The game was fun enough on its own, but it was so over-simplified that it had some really stupid and easy to exploit rules.

I actually played DA when it first came out. I didn't like how they simplified it and made mechs have less significant a role to play. In Battletech mechs reigned supreme, but in DA that wasn't the case. And with Battletech it was pretty much a one-time expense and that was it. With DA you'd have to constantly buy boosters which all had randomly inserted units, so you'd end up with a bunch of crappy units you'll never use and a few really good ones. Trading with people was kind of neat, but in Classic Battletech you weren't limited by anything. To make things worse, Wizkids would release a new expansion series every 6 months, and they very quickly started "retiring" older sets, so you couldn't use them in tournaments, thus forcing you to buy the new sets. Plus they'd always come with rules expansions so even if they didn't retire old sets, if you wanted to stay on top of things you needed the new unit types. God it was annoying.

So yea, DA wasn't too great, and where the story has gone isn't too great either.

• aaerith

aaerith

#4315456 - 13 years ago

Definetly. I never went to any tournaments anyway - I think the closest I came to anything like that was playing it on a table at my school during study hall >_<

As for me, I really enjoyed the 3060 -3067 time period, mainly the Steiner-Davion civil war. That was just so well put together, i thought.

• DarthDidious

DarthDidious

#4316303 - 13 years ago

Hmmm....when Battletech went on hiatus for me was pretty much right when the Steiner-Davion Civil War began, so I'm not too familiar with it. I did read Measure of a Hero and Operation Audacity, which took place at the start of the Civil War (though Operation Audacity didn't have much to do with the Civil War).

• aaerith

aaerith

#4317244 - 13 years ago

Yeah, it was pretty good overall. There were a few books that werten't too great, but the story was good.

• DarthDidious

DarthDidious

#4317653 - 13 years ago

I can't remember what the outcome was though, or did the Jihad occur midway through and both sides decided to forget their differences to fight off the WOB?

• aaerith

aaerith

#4318274 - 13 years ago

No - Jihad was post 3067, which was when the Civil War ended.

Davion and Federated Suns came out ahead - Katrina was removed from power.

• Scragman

Scragman

#4318369 - 13 years ago

What ever happend to her anyhow? I wasn't able to catch all the books from the FedCom civil war, so I have no idea what happened. Can anyone fill me in? Thanks!

• aaerith

aaerith

#4318398 - 13 years ago

If I remember right, after the took back New-Avalon, Victor put her out on some back-water planet near Clan Wolf territory to keep her away from things, but Vlad (Wolf leader) took her away - I think as a bondsman....

• DarthDidious

DarthDidious

#4318404 - 13 years ago

In reply to aaerith, #20:

Aha. Excellent. That's what I figured. I hope Katherine died a horrible death.

EDIT

A bondsman you say? HA! Even better!

Post edited 4/18/06 9:18PM

• Scragman

Scragman

#4318483 - 13 years ago

Damn, I was hoping that he would have been able to bring her up on murder charges for killing their mother and have her executed or stepped on by a 'Mech. Thanks for the info aaerith.

• Crickett

Crickett

#4319733 - 13 years ago

In reply to DarthDidious, #17:

Measure of a Hero is one of my all-time favorite Btech novels. Blaine Lee Pardoe was da man. smiley0.gif