Forums > Books

Dexter Series

Posts (33)

• jackiebot

jackiebot FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold me irl

#8352378 - 11 years ago

The Dexter series.. .

Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Dearly Devoted Dexter

and the newly released...

Dexter in the Dark

A series by Jeff Lindsay about a serial who works as a blood spatter expert for the Miami-Dade Police, ironically, helping to catch other serial killers. Dexter lives by a "code" handed down to him from his adoptive father, Harry [it's referred to as the Code of Harry]. He claims to have no real emotions, and tries to fake things like sincerity and love in order to fit in and avoid suspicion.

This series has gained popularity more recently because it's now a show on Showtime in its second season.

Personally, I think the storyline is interesting and imaginative. However, I find Lindsay's writing style to be quite amateur.

Any thoughts on this series? I'd love to hear what other people think about it.

"One of the most likable vigilante serial killers"

-The New Yorker

• CALLmeCRAZY

CALLmeCRAZY

#8352405 - 11 years ago

it sounds pretty interesting from what you say. i don't have cable, but i'm sure i can find some episodes on the web to check out

• jackiebot

jackiebot FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold me irl

#8352407 - 11 years ago

In reply to CALLmeCRAZY, #2:

We're talking about the Books, darling.. the Books.

Post edited 10/13/07 12:46AM

• Templar895

Templar895

#8353188 - 11 years ago

Awwh, how sweet.

• jackiebot

#8353218 - 11 years ago

Sweet?

• Darkeye

Darkeye

#8353682 - 11 years ago

Sounds like something i might read, but it must have death and destruction or some thing of that nature.

• mystyka

mystyka

#8392014 - 11 years ago

sounds like something I would like

• lucifer14785

lucifer14785

#8980383 - 11 years ago

where can u get the books? ive only seen the show and i love it.

• jackiebot

#8980502 - 11 years ago

You can get them here

• lucifer14785

lucifer14785

#8980525 - 11 years ago

thank you. ill have to save some money but ill get them lol.

• mystyka

mystyka

#9260698 - 11 years ago

I blame you for this new addiction of mine.

• jackiebot

#9260713 - 11 years ago

I blame you for this new addiction of mine.

Mission: F'n Accomplished.

• SilentRuss

SilentRuss

#9489240 - 11 years ago

This series is freakin awesome.
    More seasons and books are coming out,right?
    Anyone know?

• Helena_Yori

Helena_Yori

#9820450 - 11 years ago

i. love. dexter. i knew there were books originally but i didnt even think about locating them. thanks for the task you have found for me.

• jackiebot

#9823433 - 11 years ago

In reply to SilentRuss, #13:

three books and two seasons are out right now.. from what i've heard, season three is in post production -- so we can expect that here shortly.. i haven't heard anything about a book four

• roadsquash

roadsquash

#13894137 - 9 years ago

Yeah oddly enough the series blows the books out of the water.

• MT_Dewer

MT_Dewer FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14007902 - 9 years ago

Why didn´t I find this thread sooner? The dexter books are great, far better than the TV series. I have the four books out now and can´t wait for the fifth which if i´m not mistaken, comes out in the UK on the 27th and the US on september 7th.

• ShadowsEdge

ShadowsEdge

#14033796 - 8 years ago

In reply to MT_Dewer, #17:

Since I have watched all 4 series' of the TV and have been tempted by the books can anyone tell me how closely the show's overall plot per series is compared to the book it's based off?

• zombiefriend

zombiefriend

#14033862 - 8 years ago

I love the show a lot. I've really been wanting to read the books. I was thinking of skipping the first book, because I heard it's exactly like the first season. And the second season and up are a lot different from the show. Is that true?

• Bobomcgraw

Bobomcgraw

#14033929 - 8 years ago

Read the first book, have the second.
    Yeah, the writing style is a little 'odd', feels very rushed, not just that the story is rushed but that it is trying to force the reader to go take it all in at a very fast pace.
    I didn't really feel like a lot had happened when I reached the end.

It was very strange, but that said I would still recommend it.

In reply to zombiefriend, #19:

Kind of, the first season is based on the first book but takes a lot of liberties with it.
    They're similar but different.

In reply to ShadowsEdge, #18:

Basically the first season vaguely resembles the first book, but the rest of the seasons are original, not based on any other book.

Post edited 8/01/10 11:03AM

• sleepy566

sleepy566

#14473284 - 8 years ago

I found the books and show at the same time. Both started out similarly, but now both have gone their separate ways. I have to say I prefer a lot of the show's writing better so far. Just great stuff.

• Celwind

Celwind

#14499141 - 8 years ago

I love both the tv show and the books. :D

• jackiebot

#14499842 - 8 years ago

In reply to Celwind, #24:

favorite book/season?

• jackiebot

#14499907 - 8 years ago

In reply to kingultrnova, #28:

really? season three was atrocious. i was ready to completely give up on the tv series after that whole boring miguel fiasco.. season four really brought it back for me.

john lithgow makes an amazing villain.

• Celwind

Celwind

#14500650 - 8 years ago

In reply to jackie, #26:

I like the first book and first season the best! :D I am still way behind on the books/seasons. >_>