Forums > Dragons......

Dragons: Beast or Being?

Posts (12)

• DocRossim

DocRossim

#30672768 - 9 years ago

So... a lot of popular media depicts dragons as mindless beasts (e.g. Harry Potter) that which credit dragons with great intellect usually portray them as evil (e.g. "The Hobbit") and that which portray dragons as good often make them subservient to humans (i.e. Eragon)

So, I propose we debate, based on various mythologies, fictional depictions and historical references, whether dragons should be considered beasts or sentient beings and whether they are benevolent, malevolent, or can be either.

Let the debate begin!

• killer678

killer678

#30672769 - 9 years ago

Dragons are beasts .......the most majestic and feared of all the beasts known to man able to take out entire villages towns and or cities with its breathfire.

• DocRossim

DocRossim

#30672770 - 9 years ago

In reply to killer678, #2:
    But in many mythologies they are portrayed as intelligent, even intellectual, noble and wise.

And just because a being is destructive, doesn't mean it's not intelligent. It just means it's destructive.

• Zankaru

Zankaru

#30672771 - 9 years ago

I prefer intelligent dragons over the beast ones.

• DocRossim

DocRossim

#30672772 - 9 years ago

In reply to Zankaru, #4:
    As do I.

I was kind of hoping more people would join in this debate though...

• Zankaru

Zankaru

#30672773 - 9 years ago

*shrug*

Not easy finding people who would care about one of the two options enough to have a hot debate over it. Nobody is going to close the thread anytime soon though.

• noob55

noob55

#30672774 - 9 years ago

It depends which mythology you look at. I don't give a shit about Americanized media interpretations of things
    Medevil European belief made Dragons look like savage beasts that destroyed everything in their path and they showed them as being hungry most of the time
    Medevil- Ancient China depicted Dragons as being powerful guardians and they were even portrayed as being peaceful most of the time
    Vikings veiwed Dragons as watchful guardians and there was Nidhogg who was one of Loki's sons
    Ancient Mayans veiwed Dragons as strong protectoral spirits, like waatchful guardians, very intelligent ect
    So the Europenas were the only ones that portrayed Dragons as mindless beasts... Hmm and i guess Vikings kinda looked at Dragons badly but not that bad

• dereckc1

dereckc1 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Whovian, Stargate fan,

#30672775 - 9 years ago

I agree with noob55, Dragons are multi-mythological and are often have other creatures included with them, much to my dismay, which are strictly beasts. Dragons are beings, which have an intelligence that is close to, equal to, or greater than human intelligence, only in some European stories were Dragons depicted as beasts. This was mainly due to the fact that they made a wonderful way to show the forces of good and righteousness, aka Knights and Church, winning over the forces of evil and the Devil, aka Protestants and anything else the Church didn't like. The idea of a great reptilian being seemed too close to the idea of the snake in the garden to pass up for Medieval painters to pass up on.

• FoxboyPrower

FoxboyPrower

#30672776 - 9 years ago

I think it can be both. It really just depends on the dragon.

• LegendaryE

LegendaryE FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#30672777 - 9 years ago

I think it depends on the person writing the story. Dragons can be pretty much all of those things but also in some rare cases, heroes themselves.

One series called Spyro the Dragon on the Sony Playstation as well as its rebooted series The Legend of Spyro are two very good examples of games/media involving dragons who are heroes. There's also Panzer Dragoon which is another video game series that tells the story of a dragon that will assist a human to defeat an empire of sorts (sort of mixed with fantasy and sci-fi) and although the dragon serves as not only a mount but also a protector, he's still crucial to the plot in a big way.

Spyro on the other hand is purely about a purple dragon who is usually trying to save different magical realms from some bad guy(s) as well as collecting things like treasure, orbs and dragon eggs along with helping out creatures whenever he can. One of the best game series on PS1 ever, seriously if you owned a PS1 and didn't play this, you haven't lived yet.

In the new series, Spyro is a purple dragon that is meant to be a master of all 4 elements (Fire, Ice, Electricity and Earth) who is supposed to be prophesized as a being that serves as the world's protector. In this series he is a juvenile who is trained by 4 guardian Dragons (masters of a certain element) in order to stop the main antagonist called "The Dark Master". Good series, if a little juvenile at that.

A good place to get information on all the Spyro games as well as walkthroughs is www.darkspyro.net

• Kairi15

Kairi15

#30672778 - 8 years ago

sadly i hav to agree wit Legend. it does depend on the person who writies it.
    i mean c'mon how do you tihnk we hear about dragons? or get the info?
    culture, religion (very rare in some places) other ppl.

but i also believe that its in the person to decide on wat is and isn't. I believe a dragon is everything that everyone has said and even more. not every dragon that we read, do research or just kno about is going to be right. everything is different. hell i can read about 1 dragon in one book and find the exact same dragon in several others wit a completely different backgound. everything about dragons change every year, nothing is set in stone anymore. still a dragon is what we believe it to be. powerful, greedy, majestic, mythical, sentient, intellgent, etc., etc. etc

• AnreRakamee5

AnreRakamee5

#30672779 - 8 years ago

Dragons to me are like humans in some ways. Different personalities, traits, species (race in human perspective), abilities, emotions, etc. Again it does depend on the writer however, my opinion, it's about what you think of it as.