Forums > Film Making & Machinima

Background noise from shot to shot

Posts (10)

• Dervich

Dervich FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16441668 - 5 years ago

I'm currently producing a short film in Halo 3 and an issue I have been having is with the background noise being cut. It feels unsettling hearing it the transition while editing, especially with maps that include loud ambience, and I was wondering if their was a way to smooth it out. I would just lower the audio, I'm working with a lot of music that will follow the story, but there are some scenes that make use of the weaponry and I want to use those sounds.

• MaliciousJ

MaliciousJ

#16442319 - 5 years ago

So, just to make sure I understand you correctly, in some shots your ingame audio is low compared to other shots and you want a way to make the transition smoother between those shots, right?

• Dice

Dice wOrk

#16442422 - 5 years ago

Was there a question somewhere in there? Haha. Can you try to be more specific?

• Jevanee

Jevanee FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16442574 - 5 years ago

I'd suggest maybe adding a crossfade overlapping two audio clips so they merge into each other. But also you could try recording or finding a loop of the map ambience and then put that underneath the original audio so there's always a consistent ambience track. I can't think of much else, I'm not much of an audio editing guy but give that a go :)

• Dervich

Dervich FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16442699 - 5 years ago

In reply to DiceFace, #3:

Sorry about being incoherent, was ready to pass out when I wrote this.
    When cutting from shot to shot, the maps ambience is inconsistent. For example on Longshore, one clip has the seagulls chirping and the next is half way through a boats horn. I don't want to get rid of the audio altogether, because I need the gunfire.

• Dervich

#16442703 - 5 years ago

In reply to MaliciousJ, #2:
    Yes
    In reply to Jevanee, #4:
    That was something I wanted to do, although I am running on a tight schedule and am needing the gunfire.

• MaliciousJ

MaliciousJ

#16442734 - 5 years ago

I don't know which video editing software you are using, but maybe this'll help. In Sony Vegas Pro 11, you can create as many audio tracks as you want and each audio track has a seperate volume adjust slider. If you want the gunfire, just put that part on a different track and you can increase the volume without increasing the rest of the ambient volume (or you can just decrease your ambient volume). However there would still be ambient sounds in your shooting part (don't know how to filter that out, sry). You can also just do a crossfade. Hope this helped in any way and good luck with your short film!

• Dervich

#16442775 - 5 years ago

In reply to Jevanee, #4:
    In reply to MaliciousJ, #7:

Thanks for the help!

• Pig1005

Pig1005 ModestMouse

#16443128 - 5 years ago

In reply to Dervich, #8:

The easiest thing to do I think would be to make a loop out of the normal in game audio and put it in its own track.

• josh

josh Canuck

#16443516 - 5 years ago

I remember in either the first or second season commentary Burnie made mention of them having a similar issue. They just used a library of Halo sounds to rebuild the soundtrack and muted the recording audio