Forums > Freelancer Program

The Alaskan Chronicles

Posts (4)

• InfinityLDog

InfinityLDog FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Axios

#31669581 - 7 years ago

This is just the first story: Beginnings

Prologue

Jonathon Andersmith had been there when the aliens had landed on Earth back in 2342. He had been on the front line when the humans fought back. He had seen men fall around at his feet, holes in their chests. He saw one of his men being stood over by one of the aliens. He had dived to save him. He had felt the hot slice of the bullet as it passed through his heart, dropping him to the ground. He had watched as his blood, the very thing that kept him alive, drained out onto the ground. At that moment he had felt peace. It felt strange to him. He was dying. Why should he feel at peace? He didn’t have a chance to ponder this question for long before he passed out and his heart stopped.

Part 1

Each one of the scientists in this room knew how risky this was. Bringing back someone who had just died was dangerous enough. But bringing back a body that had been dead for around two centuries? That was beyond dangerous.
    “Set Time Stamp: 21st of February 2554,” one of the white-coated scientists said.
    “Time Stamp Set, Commencing Reanimation,” another said.
    Everyone turned to the object in the centre of the room. A block of ice. It wasn’t the block of ice that everyone was looking at. It was the human being suspended inside it. This man was a lieutenant veteran from when the enemy had first landed on Earth. This man had died on the frontline. His name was Jonathan Andersmith. He was a decorated officer. He had been rewarded the UN Medal of Honour after his death for protect another with his life. Officially, his body was buried back on Earth. Unofficially, the Black Ops department of the UNSC had taken his body, healed all puncture wounds and frozen his body, ready for the future when he would be needed again.
    As the ice around the body started to melt and the body inside started to warm again, the scientists kept watch, making sure nothing would go wrong. In the background, behind a dark-tinted glass window, a man stood. This man held his head up and his arms behind his back, as if aware of his own self-importance. His hair was black and he wore glasses. This man was known only as The Director to most, Dr Leonard Church to only a few. As always, standing beside him, was his adviser/second in command known only as the Counsellor. Not a word was said; everyone continued to stare at the block of ice that was now half melted. Nobody blinked, not wanting to miss a single detail. An alarm sounded as one scientist called out,
    “His heart rate has spiked, he his fully conscious but won’t be for long unless we get him out of that ice now!”
    As if on cue, the ice exploded and Andersmith fell out. As the Director watched, Andersmith stood up and ran towards the open door. A metal gate was sliding down from the top. Just when it looked like he Andersmith wasn’t going to make it, he slid on the ground, went out under the gate just before it closed. The Director could help but smile. He had chosen well.
    Outside, Andersmith was running down the corridors, turning left and right. The scientists in the corridor seemed to be surprised to see a naked man run by them. Andersmith just ran, hoping to find an exit out of here. He turned a corner and saw a group of soldiers. Oddly enough, they all wore different sets of armour. One of them wore all light blue, another brown-yellow, another dark purple and green and the last grey and yellow. He quickly turned and ran in the other direction. He heard shouts of surprise and the sound of metal boots hitting concrete floor as they gave chase. Andersmith kept running. He was about to turn a corner when he felt something hit him in the back as he was crash-tackled by the blue one.
    Whoever this person in the blue armour was stayed on top of him, keeping him down. Andersmith tried to throw them off, tried to escape. But they just stayed on top, pinning.
    “Thank You, Agent Carolina, for capturing our newest agent,” Andersmith heard someone say with a drawl.
    “Thank You, Sir,” the person in blue armour, Carolina, said.
    Andersmith looked up and saw a man looking into his eyes.
    “There’s no need to be afraid,” he said. “We are going to do great things together, you and I”
    At that moment he felt a sharp pain in his lower back where someone injected something into him. His world faded to black, the last thing he saw was the man turning to the crowd in the corridor, telling them to get back to work.

• InfinityLDog

InfinityLDog FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Axios

#31669582 - 7 years ago

Part 2

Andersmith couldn’t seem to get his head straight. The last thing that he remembered was the battle with the aliens on Earth. He remembered jumping in front of the soldier to protect him. He remembered the bullet shredding his heart to pieces. And then he was in that block of ice. It was confused about what happened between those two times though. When was it? It clearly wasn’t 2342. He looked down at himself. He had a black and grey jumpsuit on. He remembered seeing something similar on the man before. He must have been in charge because that blue soldier, Carolina called him sir. What was that about when the man called ‘their newest agent’?
    “You must be feeling so confused,” said a voice to the side of him. He looked up and saw a man dressed similar to him but wasn’t the same man as before. This man looked different. He seemed to have an almost caring look on his face.
    “I am the Councillor. I just need to ask you some questions. Is that alright?” he asked Andersmith. Andersmith nodded.
    “Number 1. What is your name?”
    “Jonathan Andersmith.” Andersmith replied.
    This went on for nearly 30 minutes, the Councillor asking Andersmith questions like ‘when were you born?’ and ‘where are you from?’ and Andersmith replying with the shortest answer possible. Eventually they were done. When they were, the Councillor went over to an intercom on the desk in front of him and said something inaudible into it. When he was done he sat back down and waited. In 5 minutes, a door behind Andersmith opened and in walked the guy in charge.
    “Mr Andersmith. My name is Dr Leonard Church, but you may call me Director or Sir,” he said.
    “Well, Director, why am I here?” Andersmith inquired.
    “All in good time, Mr Andersmith. We will get to that in a minute. Right now I want to talk to you. What is the last thing that you remember?”
    Andersmith explained everything about being shot and then waking up in the block of ice.
    “If you don’t mind me asking, what is the date?” Andersmith asked.
    “Today is the 21st of February 2554.” Over two centuries since that day he was shot. This didn’t seem physically possible.
    “This isn’t possible. When I was shot it was only 2342. How can it be 2 centuries later? I should dead.”
    “Technically you are. You family buried your body not long after you shot. You were killed by that bullet. You have been dead for two centuries. The UNSC took your body, fixed it up and then froze it. We then brought you back to life.”
    “Why did you do it though?”
    “I would like to offer you a job. I am head of a scientific endeavour called Project Freelancer that seeks to prepare the human race against the alien race. I wou...”
    “Wait, the war is still going on?” Andersmith interrupted.
    “Yes and no. We had managed to hold them off for a while but recently, the war has begun again” the Director said somewhat annoyed. “As I was saying, I would like you to join me and become one of my agents.”
    “And if I refuse?” Andersmith asked.
    “The entire universe thinks that you are dead. You could start a new life on some distant planet, start a family. None of your old family is alive.”
    Andersmith released that he really had no choice in the matter.
    “I’ll join. What else is there for me do?” Andersmith said.
    The Director smiled. “Welcome to Project Freelancer, Agent Alaska”

• InfinityLDog

#31669583 - 7 years ago

I am open to any comments and if you like it, please let me know. I am currently working on the second one, which I still haven't figured out it's name.

• InfinityLDog

#31669584 - 6 years ago

Obviously this is not canon to Halo when it comes to the dates.