Forums > General Discussion

The Probably Bad Life Advice Thread

Posts (36)

• MakPhee

MakPhee

#13620948 - 9 years ago

Got problems? School problems? Work problems? Health problems? Or maybe just the ultimate quandary of ponderies: your own existence. Although I don't think you'll get much religious or spiritual guidance on what would generally be called a gamer forum, this movie is an excellent starting point for all your philosophically impossible to answer questions!

But for those of you who have more simple and empirical woes and worries such as self-esteem issues, girl problems, guy problems, or, for even more fun, girl AND guy problems(!!!), I think this is where you might find someone who will be glad to chime in their two cents.

Speaking of sense, do you not have any but looove sticking your nose in other people's business anyway?! You DO?!?! And when you do, are your most likely underthought and unwarranted pieces of advice usually illreceived leading to bruised emotions, egos, relationships, and faces?!?!?! They ARE?!?!?! And when people actually do foolishly listen to your advice, aren't you sick of them blaming you for the outcome? You ARE?!!?!Well then this is the thread for you!!!1!!11!

No more black and blue advice blues for you at The Probably Bad Advice Thread!!! You can irresponsibly handle even the most serious concerns of a person's personal matters! And the best part is, when it backfires, there's absolutely no onus on you!!!! Well technically there is but thanks to the wonderfully dangerous anonymity of the interwebs, no one will ever be able to find you!!!

Anyway, on to the topic at hand. Example!!:

QUESTION!

Dear internet,

I have a friend who has a stuttering problem. We've practically been brothers since kindergarten but he only developed this disorder in the last few years. Ever since, I've been finding it really hard to make new friends and especially keep girlfriends, because people get so distracted by the fact that it takes him literally a minute to spit out a sentence that would take a normal person like ten seconds. His doctor doesn't know what's causing it, but he's been on this concentration medication that helps a little but it's really expensive and his family can't afford to keep buying it since it's really expensive and there's no guarantee that it'll ever fix the stutter permanently. I guess what I'm asking is what should I do? It's really messed with his confidence over the years and he's not even the same person anymore, but should I still be friends with him just out of loyalty? I mean, who else will he spend time with? - Jackson

ANSWER!

Maybe you don't have to completely dump him as a friend but you could still try to meet other people to hang out with on the side, it's not like you guys are joined at the hip or anything, and I'd think he'd understand that you need to branch out a little bit too. If he can't understand that, I'm sure it's just because he's worried that you are going to start spending time only with your new friends, but just reassure him that it won't come to that and hopefully it'll all work out. - Jessica

D-d-d-d-DUMP that bitch boy. You gotsta get laid, don't you?! I know it's all bros before hos and shit like that, but if he's keeping chicks off your pogo stick, you gotsta BOUNCE!! - Grandaddy Purp, representin' Californ-I-A

Disclaimer: I apologize to all readers with speech impediments.

So, got anything that's on your mind? Share away.

Post edited 2/22/10 8:34AM

• pwolter0

pwolter0 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Formerly Wolfbait1

#13623761 - 9 years ago

Life advice: Make a thread called The Probably Bad Life Advice Thread, everyone will come flocking and probably make you their internet king.

• MakPhee

MakPhee

#13629748 - 9 years ago

I thought it was a good idea at the time. Shows what I know.

Btw, was that sarcasm? Had a bit of bite to it, I thought.

Post edited 2/25/10 8:06AM

• MakPhee

MakPhee

#13630205 - 9 years ago

Ok, I thought I'd start off the discussion with a real life problem then, because the example doesn't seem to be sparking any conversation.

For a little back story, I'm a songwriter and student at the university of Prince Edward Island, I'm only enrolled in one class and working one shift at Domino's every week as a pizza delivery driver, so money's kind of tight, and looking for a second job. To the problem at hand, I'm in a band, but we've only done a bit of practicing and haven't played a show yet, even though I have songs written but because all of the band members are in high school and have part time jobs, it's hard for us to get together and practice. That's not the problem though, I'm just going to play a solo acoustic set at an open mike somewhere so at least I'll have a little experience in front of a crowd and even if we did have time to practice, they're all 17/18, so we won't be able to get gigs at any bars anyway and it'll be a while before we do.

The problem is there's a bit of a love triangle, err square, going on in the band. We all like the girl who's going to be singing with me and she likes me, but because of complications in the group, we're putting our relationship on a hold until things work themselves out. Things like the bassist and the drummer (being her ex-boyfriend) both having a crush on her, so when we were going to start dating, they got all pissed off because they felt like little elementary school shit (like holding hands, me holding her while we watched a movie, or her continually testing my tickleshness) was us flaunting our relationship in their faces and their reaction was putting a bit of a stint in our group dynamic (because we're all friends too, not just bandmates) which also threatened the future of the band. So I really like this girl, but she's afraid of getting serious and pushing away the other guys (also there's a lot of pressure on her because everyone in the band likes her, plus her schoolwork's heavy and her work schedule is pretty hectic too, plus PLUS her family puts all of this unfair pressure on her to succeed as well) so feels like it would be better to not get into it for a while, but I like her so much that I don't want to wait, even though I'm willing to wait as long as it takes.

What's your advice, internet?

P.S. We're still kind of in the process of naming the band. We've been through a shit-ton of different names but we thought of The Downwalls in the summer and we keep on thinking of other names but we consistently dislike the new ones and end up returning to the Downwalls. It's a reference to the Beatles' song, "Within You Without You", in which George Harrison sings, "We were talking about the space between us all, and the people who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion, never glimpse the truth, then it's far too late, when they pass away." so it's The Downwalls, essentially translating to "no egos". What do you think?

Post edited 2/25/10 12:05PM

• the_MANtaray

the_MANtaray

#13633628 - 9 years ago

WORDS

• WADR

WADR

#13633748 - 9 years ago

In reply to MakPhee, #4:

Do a barrel roll.

Tell the drummer and the bassist they should date each other.

Don't ever date anyone under 25. They're less likely to have complications akin to "High School dating".

• MiraSuMuerte

MiraSuMuerte FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold /dev/null

#13634933 - 9 years ago

In reply to MakPhee, #4:

Bros before hos.

• cabooserul32

cabooserul32

#13634974 - 9 years ago

My Advice for anything, go where the screaming harpies made out of blood take you

• FlagrantLynx

FlagrantLynx

#13637559 - 9 years ago

In reply to MakPhee, #1:

Tell him to" g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-get lossssssssssst."

• Pazzy

Pazzy

#13637591 - 9 years ago

Ask my mum. She has a weird Filipino way of thinking. These are her words of advice.

"Even monkeys fall from trees"

"When yoo become into a woomahn, yuu hab to marry a rich man wit a big cock. I also want white grand children!"

WTF MUM?!?!

• MakPhee

MakPhee

#13640057 - 9 years ago

Wow, this advice was worse than I thought it was going to be. And no one answered the band name question either.

In reply to WADR, #6:

In reply to MakPhee, #4:

Do a barrel roll.

Tell the drummer and the bassist they should date each other.

Don't ever date anyone under 25. They're less likely to have complications akin to "High School dating".

Well, when you're 19, dating anyone over 25 is kind of difficult, especially when you've never even dated before. That's like woman pressure there who needs someone who can take care of their problems, not someone who's learning how to. This girl's 17 and I can barely keep up with supporting her emotionally, so fuck 25 year olds, not literally though.

That's funny, she and I joked once saying it would be awesome if the drummer and the bassist ended up being gay for each other, it would make things so much easier, because even if they do get girlfriends, they might still like this girl, but if they were gay, no worries!

In reply to MiraSuMuerte, #7:

In reply to MakPhee, #4:

Bros before hos.

The thing is they aren't really my bros and this girl isn't really a ho either. Maybe the bassist is kind of my bro because we hang out together and get stoned and stuff, but in terms of how important either of them are to me, I'd have to say it's the girl, hands down.

Pazzy, that did not help at all. This girl is poor and hung like a mouse so that does absolutely nothing for me. Thanks.

• Chalky991

Chalky991

#13652586 - 9 years ago

From my dad

"If she has tits like mountians and skin the colour of an orange, put your wallet on a leash."

• OomphFan89

OomphFan89

#13654371 - 9 years ago

It's perfectly safe, just do it dude

• Esquilax

Esquilax

#13660256 - 9 years ago

In reply to Chalky991, #12:

It's almost Confucian!

In reply to MakPhee, #11:

I'd say go for it. Your friends either need to deal with it or shut the fuck up. They should be mature enough to know that it's not a personal affront against them. If not, well... Explain it to them, perhaps with colorful and florid language.

• OomphFan89

OomphFan89

#13660272 - 9 years ago

I don't know what to label the advice I've been given today...

"If you love a girl either ask her out or cut your dick off"

• MakPhee

MakPhee

#13681599 - 9 years ago

Advice appreciated. She's in Cuba right now and I'm going there on Friday. Hopefully I can catch her before she leaves on Saturday, that'd be sweet.

Anybody else need advice?

• UrmaKe

UrmaKe

#13681789 - 9 years ago

In reply to MakPhee, #16:

no advice... just a question... where is she leaving for? just in case... if you get served there's a chance for guys with actual knowledge how stuff works to ninja...

ninja-cat.jpg

• OomphFan89

OomphFan89

#13681816 - 9 years ago

I need advice

Should I use Win 98/Debian or WinXP/Mint7?

• UrmaKe

UrmaKe

#13681887 - 9 years ago

In reply to OomphFan89, #18:

get Windows7.

• OomphFan89

OomphFan89

#13682079 - 9 years ago

In reply to UrmasKeba, #19:

My computer can't handle Win7 or Vista, I use lightweight Operating Systems.

• UrmaKe

UrmaKe

#13682172 - 9 years ago

find out what your computer was designed for. because it will run with optimum speed on the OS it was designed for

• OomphFan89

OomphFan89

#13682233 - 9 years ago

In reply to UrmasKeba, #21:

It was made for XP but it ran like shit on it. I run linux better.

• UrmaKe

UrmaKe

#13682270 - 9 years ago

In reply to OomphFan89, #22:

run XP but upgrade insides. even adding RAM could help

• UrmaKe

UrmaKe

#13682272 - 9 years ago

In reply to OomphFan89, #22:

or sell it and go Apple

• Saintash

Saintash FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Half awake

#13682280 - 9 years ago

okay since i cant post my own thread yet i'll do it here

Dear internet,

I love my job im a ghost artist at a company that is about 30 min way from my house, i draw comics. i love my job my boss is great and i feel that they would do any thing for me , after only knowing them for two weeks they called me family, i went with them to visit the in laws..

three days ago my boss informed me that him and his wife are going to be moving to L A.

they want me to come with them, i would like to go, but that is a huge move i live on the East coast they are moving to the other side of the country.

with what they pay me i pretty sure i wont be able to live on my own, so i would have to live with them.. ( i dont know if they would want that)

and they are planing on changing from art working in comics to movies, now admittedly that is some thing i wouldn't mind getting into, but they don't have any sure things from what i can tell. (i also dont know if they will be quitting comics altogether)

my biggest fear about going is say i go and things dont work out, i will be on the other side of the country in a city that i will know no one in. if i go but it might be hell to get back should things not work. but if things work out that could be a huge HUGE step for my career

my second biggest fear is if i dont go this i will be something i would always regret for the rest of my life. i dont want to look back at my life and wonder. 'if i had only gone to la.'

im 23 years old, on a good day i feel 15. most days im like a 12 year that can buy booze. who spends half my day thinking about batman and cartoons. i am not an adult enough to make this life decision that is going to change my life.

Help me... i would love to here your opinions and questions you think i should ask my boss (im going to make a list of questions before i make any decisions )

thanks, saintash