Forums > General Discussion

Why?

Posts (14)

• iSayWhat

iSayWhat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Plot Twist

#14862956 - 7 years ago

• Deadwalkin

Deadwalkin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14863140 - 7 years ago

I always wonder Why people are so skeptical of life on other planets. Is it because of fear, or do they feel it makes us less special or something?

In my opinion the universe is too vast to not have life somewhere out there, we can't be the only ones.

• Ozgand

Ozgand FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Man of Detail

#14863168 - 7 years ago

Why should I not bring in my religion? My beliefs and my perspective are based in my religion. As you said, everyone has their own and I do respect them so long as they respect mine.

• iSayWhat

iSayWhat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Plot Twist

#14863277 - 7 years ago

In reply to Ozgand, #3:

No I what I meant was don't mock religion, and I thought the best way to avoid it was not to bring it up.

• Matheau

Matheau

#14863290 - 7 years ago

In reply to Deadwalkin, #2:

Skeptical is not the same thing as people saying it is impossible. In the about 700 confirmed planetary discoveries, not a single one is capable of sustaining life. Planets do not form randomly, there is a logic behind it. So you don't have an unlimited set of random conditions to draw from. If a planet is in the wrong part of the galaxy, it is impossible for it to sustain life because it won't have the necessary heavy elements.

Even then, even if a planet has every single condition, there is no actual guarantee that life will form at all. Then, go one step further, and just assume a planet has every single condition correct and life has already formed. There is still no guarantee that the initial organisms aren't going to poison themselves and eradicate all life before complex organisms even begin to form. There are plenty of examples of bacteria in our own environment that, if allowed to grow unchecked, wipe themselves out because their waste is toxic to them.

Yes, it's a big universe, but you aren't looking at a random condition. It's not impossible for life to have formed somewhere else, but there is no evidence of it.

• Radius55

Radius55 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Site Admin

#14863484 - 7 years ago

In reply to Deadwalkin, #2:

Depends on what you define as life. If you're talking about anything from bacteria up, I'd say there's no argument that many other planets have life. But if you're talking about intelligent life, I'd have to point out that it takes a perfect planet several billion years to produce a technic species that probably won't be able to communicate for more that 1000 years. So odds are that in this galaxy you might have one civilization rise every 10,000 years, but not last long enough to communicate with the next group.

See Drake Equation.

• Deadwalkin

Deadwalkin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14863556 - 7 years ago

You both bring up valid points, but I still believe that it's likely there is intelligent life out there somewhere right now (although the definition of intelligence is arguable, probably better to say beings with consciousness). I only hope I can live long enough to find out for sure

• WillowDusk

WillowDusk

#14864268 - 7 years ago

Chances are, whatever we find it won't be a good thing. So why do it?

• Rithan

Rithan

#14864278 - 7 years ago

In reply to iSayWhat, #1:

Why are we here?

• iSayWhat

#14864284 - 7 years ago

Okay, let's get away from space and aliens. Why do you learn stuff you will never need to know?

• BatJeff

BatJeff

#14864335 - 7 years ago

Why not?

• blbrashier

blbrashier

#14864337 - 7 years ago

In reply to Rithan, #9:

It's one of life's great mysteries, isn't it? Why are we here? I mean, are we the product of some...cosmic coincidence? Or is there really a God, watching everything, you know, with a plan for us and stuff. I don't know man, but it keeps me up at night.

• BatJeff

BatJeff

#14864745 - 7 years ago

In reply to blbrashier, #12:

What? No... he meant why are we HERE, in this thread... and what was all that stuff about God?

• Red_drake

Red_drake

#14864911 - 7 years ago

why concern ourselves with differences when, in the end, we all bleed the same and we all end up the same way?