Forums > General Discussion

Vampire deer re-emerge in Afghanistan

Posts (22)

• seoulspirit

seoulspirit

#17189749 - 4 years ago

Source:
    www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/02/fanged-deer-kashmi...

oQQW9kK.jpg

Fangs for showing up again, deer.

A species of fanged deer that hasn’t been seen in 66 years was recently spotted by scientists in northeastern Afghanistan, according to a Wildlife Conservation Society news release published Friday.

The Kashmir musk deer, which is one of seven similar species found throughout Asia, is endangered due to habitat loss and also because of poachers hunting the animal for its prized scent glands. No members of the species had been seen in Afghanistan by scientists since 1948.

Only the male musk deer have fangs, which they use during breeding season to battle for mates, according to the Washington Post. The stocky deer stand at about 2 feet tall, according to Discovery.

The WCS survey team said they experienced five distinct sightings of the deer. The same solitary male was seen three different times, and an adult female was seen with a young deer. On a fifth occasion, researchers spotted a solitary female, though they were unable to tell if it was the same one as before.

They noted that the deer were “difficult to spot,†and they were unable to get them on camera.

Peter Zahler, WCS Deputy Director of Asia Programs, called musk deer “one of Afghanistan's living treasures,†and said in the release that his organization hopes “that conditions will stabilize soon to allow WCS and local partners to better evaluate conservation needs of this species."

• missalisaann

missalisaann

#17189778 - 4 years ago

I need one

• Calamity_Magnum

Calamity_Magnum

#17190569 - 4 years ago

In reply to missalisaann, #2:

Good luck finding one they are like the mountain goats of deer. They are really awesome looking though glad they are not all gone.

• missalisaann

missalisaann

#17190573 - 4 years ago

In reply to calamity00, #3:

I just need a deer in general

• Calamity_Magnum

Calamity_Magnum

#17190578 - 4 years ago

In reply to missalisaann, #4:

as a pet?

• missalisaann

missalisaann

#17190588 - 4 years ago

In reply to calamity00, #5:

yes

• EricTX

EricTX FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17191079 - 4 years ago

Vampire deer are immortal so I totally saw the comeback coming

• missalisaann

missalisaann

#17193194 - 4 years ago

In reply to SpentRounds, #8:

I KNOW RIGHT

• JanJinkle

JanJinkle FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17205807 - 4 years ago

Am I the only one that sees endangered or extinct animals and immediately thinks "I wonder what they taste like"?

• Calamity_Magnum

Calamity_Magnum

#17205816 - 4 years ago

In reply to JanJinkle, #10:

Well I mean it is a deer. I imagine it doesn't taste much different than white tail

• notkristen13

notkristen13

#17206857 - 4 years ago

Can I get one big enough to ride?

Do they not grow horns? Is it just the fangs that they have instead?

• Calamity_Magnum

Calamity_Magnum

#17206860 - 4 years ago

In reply to NotKristen13, #12:

I think they are smaller that white-tail deer and yes they only have fangs

• missalisaann

missalisaann

#17206861 - 4 years ago

In reply to calamity00, #13:

I still need one.....

• notkristen13

notkristen13

#17206874 - 4 years ago

In reply to calamity00, #13:

Ah, ok. Just wanted to clarify.

• Calamity_Magnum

Calamity_Magnum

#17206877 - 4 years ago

In reply to missalisaann, #14:

Hey you live near me we have plenty of regular deer here come get one lol

• missalisaann

missalisaann

#17206884 - 4 years ago

In reply to calamity00, #16:

Alright catch me one i'll be there tomorrow morning to pick it up.

• Calamity_Magnum

Calamity_Magnum

#17206887 - 4 years ago

In reply to missalisaann, #17:

sure why not lol

• Dissent

Dissent

#17208696 - 4 years ago

This is only further proof for my assertion that Afghanistan is the Australia of the Middle East.

• Calamity_Magnum

Calamity_Magnum

#17208708 - 4 years ago

In reply to Dissent, #19:

Not really Afghanistan is quite mountainous actually with not many long flat areas. Though the climate may be some what similar but not as extreme.

• Dissent

Dissent

#17208731 - 4 years ago

In reply to calamity00, #20:

I was more referring to the hostile wildlife. Even the deer have sharp fangs in Afghanistan! Jokes.

And southern Afghanistan is actually very flat, but that's besides the point.

Post edited 11/20/14 1:52PM

• Calamity_Magnum

Calamity_Magnum

#17208743 - 4 years ago

In reply to Dissent, #21:

Its a mix and I'm not sure about the wildlife. Though the deer look threatening I'm not sure how many animals are actually hostile there. Still think Australia still has everyone beat though lol

• Dissent

Dissent

#17208781 - 4 years ago

In reply to calamity00, #22:

Afghanistan has something called "Belostomatidae". Whole swarms of them. Look that up on wikipedia. Australia will always be world champion of "s**t that will f**k you up", but Afghanistan is giving them a run for their money, lol.

And it's just a generally hostile environment was all I was getting at, it was a joke, man.