Forums > General Discussion

Midwesterner Moving To Texas, What Should I Look Forward To?

Posts (8)

• BLOODSTAINHEART

BLOODSTAINHEART FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Friendly Lunatic

#33558465 - 2 years ago

I've only lived in the Midwest until now and will be moving to Texas at the end of the month.
    Thought who better to ask then the Rooster Teeth Community about what I will be in for living there. 
    I have been there for a trip 4 years ago. Had a major reaction to the pollen, which was new for me to have allergies. Upside got to stand outside the old Rooster Teeth Office before their move to their current studios. 

Will be living somewhere in Houston, so that will probably make a difference to what goes on weather wise. I've heard that supposedly it is warmer there during the winter then in Austin. 
    No snow in the winter is going to be so crazy for me. Used to having that, blow temps, ice storms and blizzards. 

So if anyone that lives in Texas has words of wisdom, I would be ever welcome to hear it.

• PhoenixFilms

PhoenixFilms The Lone Few-Austin, TX

#33559890 - 2 years ago

As someone from Austin. get used to sweating the moment you walk outside because it's so hot. Summer is the worst. Winter here feels like summer everywhere else. All of this might be hyperbole, but it is pretty hot here.

• conrad500

conrad500

#33559901 - 2 years ago

As someone from Houston. RIP in peace friend.

Pollen allergies are your life now.

Have fun with a minimum of 30 minute car rides to get anywhere (minimum an hour if you go over 20 miles)

Enjoy our unpredictable weather (mostly hot, unless you want it to be, then it'll be cold?)

And enjoy mixing traffic and weather which doubles drive times when a single drop of rain hits the road (or sometimes none, the threat of rain works just as well)

I hope you live close to work or are able to take the HOV lane.

Your GPS if your best friend and get a toll tag. I don't care if you don't plan on ever taking the toll road, get one and your life will have a lot less potential grief in it.

And I hope you like meat, cus we've got plenty. (Sadly seafood here sucks - am from new orleans)

• BLOODSTAINHEART

BLOODSTAINHEART FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Friendly Lunatic

#33559975 - 2 years ago

In reply to PhoenixFilms

As someone from Austin. get used to sweating the moment you walk outside because it's so hot. Summer is the worst. Winter here feels like summer everywhere else. All of this might be hyperbole, but it is pretty hot here.

I'll get to work on skimming through and packing or getting rid of my winter clothing.  wink

In reply to conrad500

As someone from Houston. RIP in peace friend.

Pollen allergies are your life now. Have fun with a minimum of 30 minute car rides to get anywhere (minimum an hour if you go over 20 miles) Enjoy our unpredictable weather (mostly hot, unless you want it to be, then it'll be cold?) And enjoy mixing traffic and weather which doubles drive times when a single drop of rain hits the road (or sometimes none, the threat of rain works just as well)

I hope you live close to work or are able to take the HOV lane.

Your GPS if your best friend and get a toll tag. I don't care if you don't plan on ever taking the toll road, get one and your life will have a lot less potential grief in it.

And I hope you like meat, cus we've got plenty. (Sadly seafood here sucks - am from new orleans)

Ugh, know of any ways to help with the pollen? I'd love pointers.
    Have to learn where things are I want to see and get routes. Don't want to make it longer then I need it to be then.
    I LOVE MEAT!! Lol, I'm not much of a seafood person, but I look forward to BBQ  pig2

Thank you both for replying and helping out. Greatly appreciate your time.

• conrad500

conrad500

#33559976 - 2 years ago

In reply to BLOODSTAINHEART

Find a cheap version of Zyrtec. Every day for the rest of your night. I suggest taking it at 8pm so you wake up not stuffy and it doesn't make you drowsy like it might if you took it in the morning.

no. use a gps.

• Androo99

Androo99

#33561498 - 2 years ago

Austin, baby! Best city in Texas

• RWBimbie

RWBimbie Keeper of Poems

#33561973 - 2 years ago

What is Houston like?

Think of it as West Louisiana... what stereotypes come to mind?

Traffic in Houston is not exceptionally bad, all cities have traffic..  Austin is renown for having such  small area that you cannot avoid the traffic.  With Houston you can choose hightech or hayseed, or anywhere in between, its all going on in Houston.  

Houston does have a cell of RT fans, you should look at getting in with them.

Finally, now that you are moving to The Republic Of Texas, two important decisions must be made:

1. WHERE are you going to get your Lone Star tattoo?

2. What kind of gun are you going to buy?  (9mm is for small states, get a Texas Sized 10mm)

• BLOODSTAINHEART

#33562195 - 2 years ago

In reply to RWBimbie

Too bad we never saw what Texas Tat looked like.

I'll keep this all in mind. 

Thankfully I have my brother to look too for help as well in this. He's been living down there already.

I think the hardest thing so far has been the packing while trying to downsize.

Moved many a times, but this is the first time so far and out of the Midwest. 

Should I pack away all long sleeve shirts even if they are a thin light fabric?

Trying to figure out what things should be stored away and considered too warm for the area even in winter.