Forums > General Gaming

How do you rip off Nintendo...

Posts (13)

• b51

b51

#14217612 - 8 years ago

...without ripping off Nintendo? I'm not talking like the PlayStation Move mind you...I'm talking about taking some of their exclusive franchises and bringing them to non-Nintendo consoles. Like Pikmin! Why is it the only series of its kind?!? I want a Pikmin game in HD! The 360 controller is very similar to the Gamecube controller, so let's go developers!

But then I thought...how do you make a game like Pikmin without making it Pikmin?

Same with Pokemon. I want to do what Nintendo has been refusing to do for years! Make a 3D Pokemon game! HD battles, exploring a huge world like Final Fantasy 13's Gran Pulse (and with those graphics or better too), fully orchestrated soundtrack etc etc etc.

What ideas do you guys have for those kinds of games? And what other franchises do you want to see ported to HD consoles? I use 360 because I love Achievements and the controller is so similar to the Gamecube's, but you can talk about Wii games that could be made better with the PSMove too! I'm talking about the real Wii games of course, like Metroid Prime Trilogy...not like Wii Sports or anything like that.

• evilnook53

evilnook53

#14218228 - 8 years ago

I agree. Most 1st party Wii and Gamecube games are actually very good and deserve to come to the 360 and PS3. However, it most likely won't happen anytime soon or at all. If a Nintendo game, lets say Pikmin, was ported to 360 or PS3, Microsoft/Sony would want a fairly big portion of the revenue, and there would be a ton of negotiations about how the game is ported and how the sales would be split. In addition, because of how different the Wii controller is from the PS3 and 360 controllers, porting Wii games that use the pointer and involve shaking the controller would be difficult. Super Smash Bros. Brawl would be fine, as that game can be played with the Gamecube controller anyway. But the real heavy hitters of the Wii, like the Galaxy series, Metroid, and Zelda would have to have a fair amount of R&D poured into the PS3 and 360 before porting could even begin. Hopefully it will happen, because many people just criticize the Wii and its games for using motion controls having never even played the games or know what they are.

tl;dr version: Yes

• Krucius

Krucius

#14255341 - 8 years ago

pikmin?? who gives a flip about that, you got so many games, and so many ways to play them, the wii is by far incredibly inferior to the xbox which I consider to be the greatest console ive yet to play and while a 3d mmo esque pokemon game would be oh so awesome, its not gonna happen with nintendo at the wheel....

• Krucius

Krucius

#14255327 - 8 years ago

pikmin?? who gives a flip about that, you got so many games, and so many ways to play them, the wii is by far incredibly inferior to the xbox which I consider to be the greatest console ive yet to play and while a 3d mmo esque pokemon game would be oh so awesome, its not gonna happen with nintendo at the wheel....

• b51

b51

#14279358 - 8 years ago

In reply to Krucius, #4:

I agree that the Wii is inferior. That's why I want to make games that are similar to popular Nintendo titles, but for the 360. They'd have to be different enough to appear on a different console without anybody getting the pants sued off them, but similar enough to capture the ideas Nintendo captures when it takes brief pauses in between suck-sessions and expand on them. You're absolutely correct that Nintendo wouldn't make anything as epic as a 3D MMO-esque Pokemon game, so why doesn't someone else make a solid rip off instead? Maybe if enough developers show Nintendo how to make their franchises better, they'll listen. If they don't, then hey...at least we got those amazing rip offs ;P

• Matheau

Matheau

#14280507 - 8 years ago

In reply to B51, #5:

There are tons and tons and tons of titles out there that rip off Nintendo. Most of them just don't get released outside Japan.

• b51

b51

#14280525 - 8 years ago

In reply to Matheau, #6:

Well they should be...can you think of any that HAVE been released in the US that are good?

• Remotes

Remotes

#14299708 - 8 years ago

In reply to Krucius, #4:

He wasn't looking for an MMO, just an RPG.

In which there is one for the Gmecube that I liked. It wasn't amazing but it was decent.

3D world, didn't have a wrld wide exploration, but it stillwas able to go to different areas and explore.

It was an area select type screen

The game was called POKEMON XD: Gale of Darkness.

• sdavis117

sdavis117

#14301842 - 8 years ago

In reply to B51, #5:

the wii is by far incredibly inferior to the xbox

1075479-well_that_s_just_like_your_opini

Surprisingly the Wii has been my favorite of the three consoles this generation, with games like Galaxy, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime 3, Donkey Kong Country, etc. It's the games that make the platform, and the Wii has no lack of good ones, so if I want to play Nintendo games, I will, on my Wii, which I love.

Also, they did make a 3D Pokemon game, 2 of them in fact (not including the Stadium games). They didn't go over that well.

• b51

b51

#14302310 - 8 years ago

In reply to sdavis117, #9:

The Wii is your favorite console? What are you, 8?

If you actually read my posts, I believe I stated that I thought the 3D Pokemon games were a step in the right direction. I have beaten both of them and thought they were quite fun, but they're not what I was looking for. Part of the reason seems to have been system limitations. The Wii has similar limitations, which are even more unacceptable in this generation. You show me Wii games that allow me to easily connect to friends and random people without the use of friend codes, great community with solid voice chat (Wii Speak is shoddy at times), HD graphics, and an achievement system, THEN we'll talk about the Wii being a solid console. Until then, you've mentioned almost every good Wii game aside from Brawl and Twilight Princess, both of which could have benefited from being on a superior console such as the 360 or even the PS3.

• sdavis117

sdavis117

#14302778 - 8 years ago

In reply to B51, #10:

In reply to sdavis117, #9:

The Wii is your favorite console? What are you, 8?

Very mature.

If you actually read my posts, I believe I stated that I thought the 3D Pokemon games were a step in the right direction. I have beaten both of them and thought they were quite fun, but they're not what I was looking for. Part of the reason seems to have been system limitations.

Those Pokemon games had very little in the way of limitation. Contrary to popular belief, the Gamecube was the most powerful system last generation in terms of raw power.

The Wii has similar limitations, which are even more unacceptable in this generation.

How are the unacceptable? Polygons don't make a game, gameplay does, and the Wii has no limitations when it comes to good gameplay.

You show me Wii games that allow me to easily connect to friends and random people without the use of friend codes,

Medal of Honor Hereos 2
    CoD: WaW
    CoD: Reflex
    And those are just the ones off the top of my head. Plus, friend codes aren't that different from gametags, and memorizing a friend code isn't as hard as memorizing xXMlGpr0mil0n9R3xX.

great community with solid voice chat (Wii Speak is shoddy at times),

That is an oxymoron, because there is no such thing as a great community. You see, communities always separate into niches. Niches like casual, MLG Kids, jocks, your mom joke enthusiasts, hardcore teenagers, stoners, etc. When you bring in voice chat and matchmaking, you get these niches together, and, well, they tend to hate each other and clash. Separating the community is how you handle with this.

HD graphics,

Which has unfortunately brought about the very death of good art direction. Look at most HD games. They tend to be a mix of gray, brown, and maybe gray-scale green. To make your games look good, it takes more than polygons and pixels. It takes colors, art direction, among many other things.

and an achievement system,

Playing the game is an achievement enough for me. Plus, the achievement system as it is on the 360 is broken. Achievements are forced on to games because Microsoft allows all games to have them, meaning designers generally just tack them on to tasks you would do anyways, like beating levels, doing scripted events that you would do anyways, etc. That, plus the Gamerscore is nothing more than an epeen measurement.

THEN we'll talk about the Wii being a solid console. Until then, you've mentioned almost every good Wii game aside from Brawl and Twilight Princess, both of which could have benefited from being on a superior console such as the 360 or even the PS3.

I disagree with that. Technical limitations made the original Star Wars trilogy great, but when you got rid of those limitations, you got the prequels. Limitations force fun and unique solutions, which improve the overall quality of the games. Limitations aren't a bad thing, they are a great thing.

• b51

b51

#14304756 - 8 years ago

In reply to sdavis117, #11:

Those Pokemon games had very little in the way of limitation. Contrary to popular belief, the Gamecube was the most powerful system last generation in terms of raw power.

I agree that the Gamecube was a powerhouse for its time. But look at the power of the 360 or PS3 and imagine what could have been.

How are the unacceptable? Polygons don't make a game, gameplay does, and the Wii has no limitations when it comes to good gameplay.

No limitations when it comes to good gameplay? Look at all the garbage shovelware that comes out on a very regular basis. Look at Twilight Princess, which is fun but rather glitchy. I heard Conduit was also very bad, which is a shame since it looked like a lot of fun. And while polygons don't make a game, you have to admit that they can help a lot. Look at Brawl. That game was beautiful. But a lot of people complained about the changes made from Melee. Yet we still played because it was absolutely stunning.

Medal of Honor Hereos 2
    CoD: WaW
    CoD: Reflex

Oh, so dumbed-down versions of games already out on other consoles? Yeah, good argument there buddy.

And those are just the ones off the top of my head. Plus, friend codes aren't that different from gametags, and memorizing a friend code isn't as hard as memorizing xXMlGpr0mil0n9R3xX.

You have to have a separate friend code for each game. A randomly generated code is much harder to memorize than "JMilla83" etc. And when you add someone in one game on XBox Live or PSN, you add them everywhere. You can also connect and meet people online as opposed to the stifled online experience of the Wii.

That is an oxymoron, because there is no such thing as a great community. You see, communities always separate into niches. Niches like casual, MLG Kids, jocks, your mom joke enthusiasts, hardcore teenagers, stoners, etc. When you bring in voice chat and matchmaking, you get these niches together, and, well, they tend to hate each other and clash. Separating the community is how you handle with this.

Niches? It's not high school, dude. Yeah there's some people that clash, but it's easy to block them.

Which has unfortunately brought about the very death of good art direction. Look at most HD games. They tend to be a mix of gray, brown, and maybe gray-scale green. To make your games look good, it takes more than polygons and pixels. It takes colors, art direction, among many other things.

Here. Or here. One of my favorite locales, and even better looking in motion. Still not a bunch of grayscale green or anything like that.

Or maybe you're only referring to the shooters? Is there a lot of brown etc? Of course, the world has been blown to smithereens. And yet, if you walk around in that game, it's absolutely beautiful. Or in Reach, look around on the first level to see an aurora. There's a building you go into that is all wood floors and glass walls and fountains etc later in the game too. There are just so many beautiful things that you can't get on Wii, and that you seem to have never seen before.

Playing the game is an achievement enough for me. Plus, the achievement system as it is on the 360 is broken. Achievements are forced on to games because Microsoft allows all games to have them, meaning designers generally just tack them on to tasks you would do anyways, like beating levels, doing scripted events that you would do anyways, etc. That, plus the Gamerscore is nothing more than an epeen measurement.

Actually, to many of us, gamerscore is a reason to go back and play through games again in order to 100% complete them. So you beat Brawl on Wii. Woop-dee-doo. You say you beat it on the hardest difficulty? Great. Prove it. You can't? Oh well, then I don't believe you. I never beat games quite as thoroughly before the achievement system. And the comment about it being an "epeen measurement" just proves that you don't know what you're talking about. It's the Nintendo fanboy in you speaking.

I disagree with that. Technical limitations made the original Star Wars trilogy great, but when you got rid of those limitations, you got the prequels. Limitations force fun and unique solutions, which improve the overall quality of the games. Limitations aren't a bad thing, they are a great thing.

Technical limitations aren't what made it great, the story was. Just because Lucas got lazy with story in favor of beautiful visuals doesn't mean the old movies wouldn't have been better with the newer visual effects. Lack of limitations allow for greater creative freedom and more complexity than more limited circumstances would allow. Look at Final Fantasy 1 versus Final Fantasy XIII for example. If we stuck with limited consoles, we would still be stuck with games like the first one, which I hated.

• b51

b51

#14304766 - 8 years ago

Almost forgot...one of the best 360 games is Mass Effect 2. Not only is it not possible to create something like that on Wii, but it's sure as hell not all about that brown color and whatever else you were whining about. mass-effect-2-20091211112412118_640w.jpg

And there are many other (and much better) places in the game, I'm just too lazy to find them. But just because war games are what a lot of people play right now (and war games DO require a lot of that grit and dust etc) doesn't mean the Wii's inferior graphics are better just because there are COLORS for crying out loud.

Post edited 12/14/10 3:29PM