Forums > Harry Potter: A History

Favorite....what?

Posts (6)

• epicFAIL_

epicFAIL_

#30933031 - 9 years ago

I know everyone has their favorite things about Harry Potter; favorite books, characters, ships, and all that goodly stuff. So therein lies my question - what are your favorites? You have them. I know you do. And i'm interested to hear about them, and debate them. Because i'm pretty heavily opinionated myself. Biased. Whatever.

My favorite:

Book: The Order of the Pheonix
    For some reason, that book had everything I wanted. I've read it a thousand times, and I cannot, for the life of me, get over the fact that it has the marauders in it. That's probably why it's my favorite. But it is, and I absolutely adore it.

Character: James Potter
    Yes, I know. We never really even met Jamie P. But regardless of that, i've created my own interpretation of what he'd be like if JK had really shown him to us, and i've gotta say, I love what I see. Amazing. Ah-may-zing.

Ship: James Potter/Lily Evans
    I'm old school; so sue me... Oh, come'on, they're damn adorable. Love. Love, love, love them together. Screw Snape/Lily. It's disguisting.

Movie: The Chamber of Secrets
    The irony behind that is that I hate the second book, but I think they captured the essence of that book better than any others. Plus, the actors were all the perfect age at that point; no one looked too old, or too young. It was perfect, even though the story bothers me.

Moment: The scene outside of the forest in DH with the Marauders and Lily.
    I know it seems strange, but that book was just alright to me, until that part. With Sirius, James, Remus and Lily outside of the forest with hiim. It had so much emotion, and I just remember absolutely bawling my eyes out when I read it, because it was so incredible.

So, there's just a few of my favorites. I could go on for much longer, but i'd rather not. It'd be wayyy too long. So, let me hear what you think!

• asooqeC

asooqeC

#30933032 - 9 years ago

Favorite:

Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban / Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    Yes, that’s right, I picked two. Prisoner features my favorite character (see below) along with a well-done mystery and Half-Blood was so interesting with its exploration of both the characters’ romantic triangles and Voldemort’s past. I also noticed that both stories are the only two in the Harry Potter series that do not culminate in Harry facing off against Voldemort – in fact, Harry’s 3rd and 6th years are probably his most “normal,†which I like because we get more insight into a regular day in the life of a wizard.

Character: Remus John Lupin
    It’s rare that I encounter a character in fiction that I admire so much. I loved that Lupin was so wise and powerful, yet modest, kind and a thoughtful teacher – I also consider him to be one of Harry’s “father figures,†who gave him a very powerful defense with the Patronus Charm. And as much as I detested his later characterization in Deathly Hallows, I did think he had a point when telling Harry not to use expelliarmus all the time.

Ship: Ron/Hermione
    ‘Cause it was always meant to be, from beginning to end. That was really the only ship I ever watched closely to see how it played out, although (until Order of the Phoenix) I briefly thought there was hope for the Harry/Cho relationship, just ‘cause Harry’s crush on her was kinda cute.

Movie: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    I know most people think Alfonso Cuarón ruined the Harry Potter films, but I think that in many ways he enhanced them. His visuals for Hogwarts were so much more dynamic than Columbus’s, and he made the world feel more magical by including so many things to look at in one shot – I can still watch the movie and see magical happenings in the background that I never noticed before. It's tempting to include Half-Blood Prince, but I noticed that (likely in an attempt to make the film more engaging than Order of the Phoenix) David Yates borrowed many techniques established in the series by Cuarón. The only real failing of Prisoner for me was dropping the Marauders’ backstory.

Moment: Year 6: Quidditch Tryouts
    I loved this part of the book ‘cause of all the gags with the students who attend the tryouts (I especially love the joke about the Hufflepuffs).

As far as what you posted, epicFail_, I’ve never been into Order of the Phoenix because I feel it was too long and was just such a frustrating experience overall – Umbridge was basically an excuse to take away all of the fun of Hogwarts, the introduction of Grawp ended up being mostly pointless, and Dumbledore’s decisions were probably at some of their worst (seriously, Ron as Prefect? Why not Dean or Seamus?)

And regarding the moment with Harry in the forest near the end of Deathly Hallows, that moment didn’t strike me as hard as I know it did for others; I think it might be because it felt a bit like a rehash of the moment in the graveyard from Goblet of Fire. If Harry never had been in the vicinity of his parents before, I might’ve been more taken aback (and I know Dumbledore said that the vision of his parents in Goblet was not of ghosts, but still…). I think that moment also irked me ‘cause J. K. Rowling was smacking me in the face with the fact that Lupin was dead, after giving him nothing more than an off-screen death.

• SweetCyanide

SweetCyanide

#30933033 - 9 years ago

Yay people talking about something! I'll get back to you but I'm happy to see something's going on. :)

• epicFAIL_

epicFAIL_

#30933034 - 9 years ago

No one else in the world likes Order of the Phoenix - I embrace and accept that I am the only one that seems to not only like, but love this particular book. It just has everything that I love in a good novel; it oozes angst, has three of the greatest chapters of all time in it, and has a scene including the Marauders. I mean, it's just absolute heaven for someone like me. But for some people, yeah, the cons outweigh the pros. Umbridge is an extremely obnoxious character, Grawp is just unnecessary and pointless, and some of the scenes in the Black house get a bit stale. And Harry is extra angsty in this one, which I dislike. (General angst is wonderful. Character angst is just...not.) And I mean, picking Ron for prefect was just kind of like picking Jamie P. for Head Boy. It's one of those things that just shouldn't happen. But since it's Dumbledore, favorites win out. (And all of these favorites happen to be in groups with names, might I add. The Marauders? The Golden Trio? Just saying.)

Really? I thought the end was extremely powerful, and I honestly bawled for more than an hour about it. I was so, so touched. I didn't think it was anything like the graveyard at all, since Harry's parents were there completely by accident, and it was more of a quick, 'oh, his parents!' moment, and not as much of a, 'oh my god, he's really with his parents.' kind of thing. And not only is he with his parents, I mean, you have to think that he's with the only people who really ever cared for him. Remus and Sirius played the role of parent in their own respective way, and he even met his own parents. It was so incredible. And of course Remus' death was horrible and totally unnecessary, and so off-hand that I wanted to fly over to England, (or wherever she was at the time) just to hit her. Not hard. Just in a scolding, 'how dare you' kind of way.

• asooqeC

asooqeC

#30933035 - 9 years ago

I will say that Phoenix has grown on me since I originally read it. I like all the scenes with the D. A. as well as the climax when the group is wandering around the Department of Mysteries (which was really short-changed in the movie). And while I can sympathize with Harry's angst (it is pretty ridiculous how in-the-dark everyone kept him) I still find it a bit grating on the nerves. And yes, Dumbledore does have an unfortunate habit of choosing favorites, so I guess that explains that.

Personally, I found the visit to James and Lily's grave to be one of the most powerful moments in Deathly Hallows. To actually be standing there where they were buried; I think the moment really gave Harry another level of understanding about death that was extremely deep. I know I'm one of few who thinks this, but the walk in the forest really didn't surprise me or hit me as much - again, it just felt like a rehash of Goblet to me, regardless of the varying circumstances. For me, it did kind of feel like that "Oh, his parents" moment you were describing, 'cause once again they just pop up, say a few lines, and then hang around silently - I know there's mroe to it then that, but reading it, that's what it felt like for me. But perhaps someday I'll learn to appreciate it more.

• epicFAIL_

epicFAIL_

#30933036 - 9 years ago

Well, liking it a bit is better than not liking it at all. Ehhh...I thought tehe DA scenes are just alright, but I certainly don't dislike them. Oh, and the Department of Mysteries is definitely the best part of the whole book. (Minus the Marauders portion, which is absolutely epic.) And I totally agree about Harry, too - sure, it sucked to be him, but it was all just so, so annoying. I wanted to punch him half the time, not to mention. (Of course, Harry is also one of my least favorite characters in the novel...and his name is in the title.)

Actually, I was referring to the graveyard scene in GOF. I agree that the scene at their graves was incredibly heart-wrenching, and really reiterated the fact that Harry's life was utterly and completely impacted by their deaths. Anyway, I still love, love, love the scene outside the forest. After all, it's not like it just randomly happens. Everything that leads up to it is just as important as the scene; with the snitch and all. It goes to show that the one thing he wanted before he 'died', more than anything, was to know that his parents, and the family that he had in Remus and Sirius, were with him no matter what. -sigh- So beautiful.