Forums > Ludicrous Explosions Galore: Space Battles Hangout

Fantasy Battles: The Battles of Fantasy

Posts (142)

• Biolith

Biolith

#32496432 - 5 years ago

Sup, bitches.

So, due to recent events, it has been decided that we require a FANTASY counterpart.

Let's do this shit.

• Origas

Origas

#32496433 - 5 years ago

I am doing the post thing because yes.

• Abyss2

Abyss2

#32496434 - 5 years ago

FUCK TO THE MOTHERFUCKING YES.

That aside, LET THE PLANNING COMMENCE.

What kind of world do we want? Multiple countries/continents? One giant Pangaea motherfucker?

• Origas

Origas

#32496435 - 5 years ago

In reply to Abyss2, #3:

I would go for multi-continental, with potentially an island nation or two thrown in.

• Abyss2

Abyss2

#32496436 - 5 years ago

In reply to Origas, #4:

I think a large island nation with multiple islands would be cool.

• Biolith

Biolith

#32496437 - 5 years ago

In reply to Origas, #4:

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU.

In reply to Abyss2, #5:

Let's go with Island Nation. That'll kinda fit better, I think, with maybe a larger Northern continent to base a lot of Northern European things out of.

• Abyss2

Abyss2

#32496438 - 5 years ago

In reply to Biolith, #6:

A large Northern continent with a large, and cold mountain range at the very top. The island nation can be to the east, and all of the oriental nonsense can originate from there. We should have 2, maybe 3 more nations. I think one of them should be a very industrial steampunky nation.

• Biolith

Biolith

#32496439 - 5 years ago

In reply to Abyss2, #7:

Steampunky? Can we have a Decopunk and Dieselpunk area, too? I'm incredibly partial to those and Desertpunk.

• Abyss2

Abyss2

#32496440 - 5 years ago

In reply to Biolith, #8:

The fuck are those?

• Biolith

Biolith

#32496441 - 5 years ago

In reply to Abyss2, #9:

'Dieselpunk' is dirty. Imagine greasy, gas-based things.

Decopunk is more like Bioshock.

Desertpunk is like.. well. Desert Punk and Trigun.

• Abyss2

Abyss2

#32496442 - 5 years ago

In reply to Biolith, #10:

I like Desert Punk. Not very fond of the other two.

• Biolith

Biolith

#32496443 - 5 years ago

In reply to Abyss2, #11:

Motherfucker if we're going to have an industrial area, we might as well make it dieselpunk.

I mean. We can have the coal-based Steampunk and the gas-based Dieselpunk. It'd be great.

• Abyss2

Abyss2

#32496444 - 5 years ago

In reply to Biolith, #12:

But that's now getting less like a Fantasy thread, and more like a thread set in the industrial era.

• Biolith

Biolith

#32496445 - 5 years ago

In reply to Abyss2, #13:

Kinda. If we have two industrialized powers, they're going to be more likely to go at each other than steamroll everything in their path, y'know? Leaves space for us to still do Fantasy things.

• Abyss2

Abyss2

#32496446 - 5 years ago

In reply to Biolith, #14:

I would still rather it all be in one place. I feel like people would choose one of those countries because of the industry and advanced tech.

• TheBadger

TheBadger

#32496447 - 5 years ago

So wait, how advanced are we talking then?

• Origas

Origas

#32496448 - 5 years ago

In reply to Biolith, #6:

This is Jay/Percival.

I'm with Abyss on this. Maybe factions based around the various themed techs, fighting amongst themselves, unable to war with the others because they are constantly at odds.

• sazabi

sazabi

#32496449 - 5 years ago

In reply to Biolith, #6:

I lol'd HARD

As for a Thread, I feel that a Warhammer 40K like setting would work out with a Space Battles Fantasy, you have all the elements, magic, guns, steam punk like machinery, mechs (for me, I neeeeeeedd my mechs) But if we are avoiding space, just pull it down to a small system or group of planets, that we may for instance need special ways to travel to ALA DOOM movie Ark

Or We could simply have ships stuff that works though magic alone magiktech. Our battleships shoot magic at each other and we board other ships in order to fight in space in epic sized army battles with ships ramming and boarding actions.

• Abyss2

Abyss2

#32496450 - 5 years ago

In reply to sazabi, #18:

While a cool concept, that's not what I'm trying to get at. I want like, an actual Fantasy setting. So no mechs. Magitech can work, though. There can also be airships, but I'm trying to not have too much of it.

• sazabi

sazabi

#32496451 - 5 years ago

In reply to Abyss2, #19:

I see....I see, I'll find a loophold

muttley.jpg

• TheBadger

TheBadger

#32496452 - 5 years ago

I find that in space battles, whatever magic stuff we have tends to be scaled to be competitive with whatever bogus OP tech we throw around, which is how we get characters like Abyss, Nelson, Garbal, Prohpanti, etc.

However in a fantasy setting, we don't really -have- tech because of the stereotypical time period that nearly every fantasy setting is assumed to have. Magic tends to be the dominant force then, which admittedly also should be scaled back from what we have in SB. We don't need someone accidentally summoning abyss and destroying the world in the process. But at the same time I feel that we should have some tech to balance out with magic folks. For this purpose, I'm generally fond of steampunk-ish stuff including flintlock-era firearms with a bit of room to make them crazy.

Magic is powerful, often far moreso than any regular being can become without such. Linear warriors, Quadratic wizards and all that jazz. But that strength comes with quite a bit of effort on the character's behalf, so magic users of note would be few and far between. So we don't need HUGE technology.

On the subject of airships. Make them work and I won't mind, but I'm otherwise against them for anything other than fast travel. They're likely going to need HUUUUUUGE amounts of magic to work properly, much to the point it's probably prohibitively expensive to run and maintain. I can't even imagine what having a warship equivalent would be like, but without adequate ranged weapons, airships in general sound like a bad idea. To terribl great way for them to fight each other, no way for anyone who is being attacked by them to fight back when they can't fly up to it or otherwise hit one with anything more substantial than arrows to destroy it.

• Abyss2

Abyss2

#32496453 - 5 years ago

In reply to TheBadger, #21:

All of this.

I was mainly thinking of airships as an alternate method of travel, not weapons of war.

• Biolith

Biolith

#32496454 - 5 years ago

In reply to TheBadger, #21:

I'm fine with all of this, as well.

• TheBadger

TheBadger

#32496455 - 5 years ago

I would imagine that while the airships would be expensive as shit, that means likely only a handful of individuals(perhaps a single entity like a corporation or syndicate of sorts) would have the resources to run them. But that also means they're probably a very high in demand commodity for traveling between cities. I can imagine a line of airship passenger liners and even light freighters being used for massive profit for being able to travel between places muh faster without nearly as much of the hassle of traveling by foot, horseback, wagon, whatthefuck ever.

Next best(feasible) method would be industrial train lines, but I imagine that would be a lot more limited.

• Abyss2

Abyss2

#32496456 - 5 years ago

In reply to TheBadger, #24:

They would also become a large target for "terrorist" attacks and bandit raids.