Forums > Machinations of the night

Chapter One: Dying Coals

Posts (32)

• cote117

cote117

#32766545 - 4 years ago

The Town of Embershard was bustling with activity as the town's folk prepped for this year's celebration marking the new millennium of peace since the dark age. The air was alive with excitement, as Marius made his way into the small town. It had been a while since his last visit, due to his studies, but thankfully, was allowed out of the Mage's tower to blow off some steam. Many of the denizens knew him, many of them bigots, but most just trying to live in relative peace. The mages were not the only ones interested by the festivities as The Machine Cult were there in surprisingly high numbers helping with the set up.

• StarWarsNeko

StarWarsNeko

#32766546 - 4 years ago

In reply to cote117, #1:

With a sigh and a stretch Kat woke up in one of the inns in the town. Well two sighs actually as her shake head which was contorted around to lay next to her naturally copied her movements and stretched is jaw.

"Another day with nothing to do. " Kat groaned, sitting up in her double bed. She'd had to pay extra to get a second bed so she could actually fit. Other Lamia or Shirohebi or Echidna would have called racism but the innkeeper had easily convinced Kat that it made sense and was fair. So she let her non existent pockets be butt hurt. On the other hand it was a lovely makeshift bed.

So after lounging around for a bit, trying many times to convince herself to get out of the bed Jay finally slid to the floor with a thump then lifted her snake head which took up position next to her. Then with a odd sort of shuffle where most of her tail moved properly and the rest held the snake head at about hip height she moved to the bathroom and proceeded to brush her hair. There was a window in the bathroom and she watched from it as everyone prepared the celebrations.

"Why celebrate peace? Is so boring. " Kat groaned, resting her snake head on the windowsill to continue watching and likely freak out anyone who bothered to look up as Kat continued to brush her hair. The snake head flicked is tongue about lazily and Kat received all the smells it found. She had not bothered to put on her sashes so if the right angle was reached some people might get a nice view.

• cote117

cote117

#32766547 - 4 years ago

In reply to StarWarsNeko, #2:

Many of the folk noticed the Duskborn and greeted him warmly as he made his way towards the Inn. Sure the Inn keeper was a right asshole, but he ran a clean place, even with his insulting remarks. It was only until Marius' last visit did he change his attitude towards him. After saving his family from some armed criminals, The Inn keeper kept a room reserved for the mage free of charge save for the drinks and meals.

As he rounded the corner, Marius caught a glimpse of a rather peculiar looking and under aged Shirohebi naked in her room. Probably has no idea what she's doing... kids... he thought with a sigh as he hurried past and up the steps towards the entrance of the establishment.

• WTFcobalt

WTFcobalt

#32766548 - 4 years ago

Synoan sat boredly, he had arrived in town only a day ago abd yet despite having many of his fellow cultists he just sat there and looked over a broken radio which he took a little interest into fixing.

sorry if i post short posts on my phone and typing on this is annoying

• cote117

cote117

#32766549 - 4 years ago

In reply to WTFcobalt, #4:

"Mechanite." Marius greeted as he passed the Bored cultist while entering the Inn.

As soon as he stepped foot inside he was greeted by the Inn keeper in his usual way consisting of a thrown bottle of spirits aimed at the Mage's head and a "DODGE!" followed. As if on instinct, Marius' hand went straight for his revolver, and the bottle exploded into a shower of glass and booze.

"Gods Fuckin' damn it! You damn wasted a bottle of scotch!" Marius shouted at the now pissed looking inn keep.

"Fuck you and your reflexes Dusky!" the man barked back, the two staring each other down before bursting into laughter. "I suppose you want your room, Aye?"

• StarWarsNeko

StarWarsNeko

#32766550 - 4 years ago

In reply to WTFcobalt, #4:
    In reply to cote117, #5:

Kat was taking her time brushing and getting her sashes in place when the shot went off. Her snake head raised in alarm and looked around to determine the location of the shot. Meanwhile Kat slowly smiled at the idea there might be blood on the other end of that gunshot. So she finished up quickly and grabbed her two satchels and her medical stick. Hey pistol was stored in her potions satchrl just in case. She didn't bother to wrap her snake head like she'd planned abs instead hurried out the room to the stairs. As she descended her snake head maneuvered ahead to peak around the corner which made Kat stop when it saw there was no blood in sight. So with a sigh she looked up the stairs then shrugged and just slid the rest of the way down to go order breakfast.

• WTFcobalt

WTFcobalt

#32766551 - 4 years ago

In reply to cote117, #5:

He nodded and went back to fixing the radio until the gun shot made him jump a little. The radio fell down and smashed the casing, dropping the electronics everywhere. For a minute he judt stared in slight annoyance before grabbing the peices and putting them away into a satchel abd going inside to investiage what the gun shot was about.

• cote117

cote117

#32766552 - 4 years ago

In reply to StarWarsNeko, #6:

In reply to WTFcobalt, #7:

"... you want your room, Aye?" The in keep said in mock annoyance, as the Mage's hand was aglow with the channeled Vis required to repair the bottle.

"If it isn't too much to ask." Marius replied as the shards of glass began to melt and merge, before retaking it's original shape, Ignoring the two newcomers. "How's the family?"

The inn keep brightened at the mention of his family and smiled wanly. Alive and well thanks to you, ya duskborn shit." he replied grabbing a rag to clean up the wasted scotch, as Marius set the now mended bottle on the counter.

• StarWarsNeko

StarWarsNeko

#32766553 - 4 years ago

In reply to cote117, #8:

Kat slithered past to take a seat at one of the tables. Her mother taught her manners and she wasn't going to interrupt the reunion. Her snake head watched them closely though and listened as Kat read the menu.

• cote117

cote117

#32766554 - 4 years ago

In reply to StarWarsNeko, #9:

A couple minutes after the exchange, a woman dressed in a white apron comes up to the Shirohebi's table with a notepad and pen. "I do apologize for those two's behavior." she said prepping her small notepad. "Can I get you anything to drink?" she asked, as a young girl ran buy to hug the mage's leg clearly the inn keep's child.

• StarWarsNeko

StarWarsNeko

#32766555 - 4 years ago

In reply to cote117, #10:

The snake head eyed the child curiously as Kat tapped her chin in thought.

"You dont happen to have any coconut milk do you? I quite enjoy that. Oh and just some goats milk for her." She requested, patting the edge of her tail.

• cote117

cote117

#32766556 - 4 years ago

In reply to StarWarsNeko, #11:

The Inn keep seemed to have over heard the order and snorted in annoyance. "This Ain't no Five Star Hotel." he grumbled as he finished mopping up the scotch. "We have regular cow's milk and Spirits." he added tossing the rag behind the bar as the Mage patted his daughter's head.

"Have you been keeping up on your studies?" he asked getting a toothy grin from the child and an eager nod.

"Yup! And I've finally started basic levitation." she replied happily getting a grunt from her father.

"Damn menace she is" her father replied getting a pout from her. "Can't believe we have a mage in the family"

• StarWarsNeko

StarWarsNeko

#32766557 - 4 years ago

In reply to cote117, #12:

"Oh I'm sorry. Just cow milk please. Two glasses." Kat said quietly, looking down. This was one if the lowest end places she'd been in so far on her travels. She normally just camped or got into the nice fancy places. She'd had no idea coconut milk was hard to get.

• cote117

cote117

#32766558 - 4 years ago

In reply to WTFcobalt, #7:

In reply to StarWarsNeko, #13:

The woman simply nodded and made her way back to the kitchen to fulfill her order.

Feeling the Mechanite staring at him, Marius finally spoke up. "Need something gearhead?" he asked turning to look at the cultist.

• StarWarsNeko

StarWarsNeko

#32766559 - 4 years ago

In reply to cote117, #14:

Kat went back to reading the menu, this time alot more carefully. Her snake head followed the gaze of the mage and observed the machine man

• WTFcobalt

WTFcobalt

#32766560 - 4 years ago

In reply to cote117, #14:

"Was just curious." He replied and slowly came inside of the inn.

• cote117

cote117

#32766561 - 4 years ago

In reply to StarWarsNeko, #15:

In reply to WTFcobalt, #16:

"Got any Info on the Arcanotech joint project you guys and the college is working on?" Marius asked figuring he aught to start some conversation with the cultist. And it might as well be technology. "I heard the prototype augs are working quite high above our expectations." he added.

• StarWarsNeko

StarWarsNeko

#32766562 - 4 years ago

In reply to cote117, #17:

(My posts have quickly grown smaller and smaller XD)

As soon as the talk about tech started Kat list interest and her snake head decided to look around for something else of interest to watch as she waited for her milk.

• WTFcobalt

WTFcobalt

#32766563 - 4 years ago

In reply to cote117, #17:

In reply to StarWarsNeko, #18:

"Well I don't exactly work in those departments, but yes they have been working very well! I even heard that they are doing well enough that the first prototypes will be ready for use sooner than expected!" He said with a happy tone for having someone other than a Mechanite to talk to about Technology.

• cote117

cote117

#32766564 - 4 years ago

In reply to WTFcobalt, #19:

In reply to StarWarsNeko, #18:

"The things we can accomplish when our peoples work together. I heard a few of your brothers and sisters are using batteries that are powered by Vis rather than Tritium." Marius replied, as the waitress returned with two glasses of milk for the Shirohebi. "Name's Marius Decant, Master Thaumaturge of the local Mage tower." he added introducing himself to the Heavily augmented man.

• StarWarsNeko

StarWarsNeko

#32766565 - 4 years ago

In reply to cote117, #20:

"Thank you. " Kat said happily, quickly cheering up. She tasted a sip of one glass then shivered a little. That was not like coconut milk. She set the glass down and brought her snake head around onto the table. The heads mouth opened and Kat poured a little in. The snake head seemed not to care what kind if milk it was.

"Could we have two steaks of pancakes next please? " Kat asked nicely as she continued to 'water' her snake head.

• cote117

cote117

#32766566 - 4 years ago

In reply to StarWarsNeko, #21:

"I wouldn't drink that if I were you... You and those of the Lamia sort tend to be lactose intolerant." Marius said turning his attention to the Shirohebi. "Hold up a sec, you're that drop out from the tower aren't you?" he asked with a raised eyebrow as the waitress left to fulfill her order.

"Why would somebody want to leave the tower?" The little girl asked still hugging his leg.

• StarWarsNeko

StarWarsNeko

#32766567 - 4 years ago

In reply to cote117, #22:

Kat looked over as her snake head gulped Duran the milk and eyed up the second glass.

"... What's lactose intolerance? I've not heard of that before though i dont enjoy this milk if that'swhat it means. But my other halfs taste buds disagree." she explained before rolling her eyes with a sigh.

"Because some people don't want to know the difference between a fireball and a mana fireball. And some don't want to know how to hurt people. Or be a master. Transform, or summon things. Make protective wards and read runes. Some just want to heal and see the world. Not stare at books." She huffed at the ignorant mage then smiled down at the little girl.

"But that's just me. Maybe you'll find that stuff interesting hey little one?" She said in the voice you'd address a child.

• cote117

cote117

#32766568 - 4 years ago

In reply to StarWarsNeko, #23:

"My mastery of Thaumaturgy allows me to do the tings you could only dream of." Marius replied as he drew his blade Spellweaver. "Observe..." He said as he cut a deep gash into his chest, grunting in both pain and agitation as he felt his blood soak his armor. Focusing his mana once again on the proper aspects, his wounds began to stitch themselves back up, leaving a faint scar that was quickly covered up by his armor being repaired. "From what I was told, you only made it through two years of training. Hardly enough to become well versed in the art of restoration."

• StarWarsNeko

StarWarsNeko

#32766569 - 4 years ago

In reply to cote117, #24:

Kat yawned mockingly.

"Oh sorry you were going to show me something amazing? " she teased, putting an elbow on the table and leaning her head on her hand.

"Everyone knows poultices and herbs have better long lasting effects than straight up magic. And my mothers been teaching me that ever since..." she paused suddenly then looked away, suddenly uncomfortable with the situation.