Forums > Movies

Matthew Vaughn off X-Men Sequel

Posts (7)

• MrFusion

MrFusion FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Calm Like A Bomb

#15474660 - 6 years ago

So Matthew Vaughn will no longer be directing X-Men: Days of Future Past, the sequel to X-Men: First Class

It looks like the rumor mill has Bryan Singer getting back behind the X-Men director's chair. First I'm not happy about Vaughn not directing. I think he did a great job with First Class, and with the ideas tossed around for DOFP in interviews, I think he would have made a worthy sequel.

I'm very wary about Singer directing.

If not Singer, who should take over directing the project?

• Knives_Kill

Knives_Kill

#15474865 - 6 years ago

Bryan Singer did a great job with the first X-Men and I thought the sequel was decent as well. Then they got Bryan Singer to direct Superman Returns and Brett Ratner to Direct X-Men the Last Stand and I didn't particularly care for either project.

So, I'm not sure how I feel about this at all. I really, really enjoyed X-Men: First Class. But that may be because I had such crazy-low expectations for it.

I'd really like to see either Jon Favreau or Joss Whedon direct every comic-book franchise from now on, to be honest. Anyway, don't mind me. I just enjoy derailing fledgling threads.

• MrFusion

MrFusion FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Calm Like A Bomb

#15474890 - 6 years ago

In reply to Knives_Kill, #2:

I agree. After Last Stand and Superman Returns, both directors left me with a lot of doubt. I think EVERYONE has low expectations, except those fan's of Vaughn. I really liked Kick-Ass. His version translated well to the big screen, when the comic had so much more of a darker tone, but he didn't cheapen it.

Here's to hoping it doesn't suck, because Days of Future Past could be a good storyline.

• Knives_Kill

Knives_Kill

#15474910 - 6 years ago

In reply to CashHunts, #3:

I wouldn't really know, haha--I don't really read comics, myself. I don't know why, it's just never something I was exposed to. I always watched cartoons, played video games, saw movies. I've always loved the stories and characters, I've just never been one to find and read a lot of comics. Especially with the classically popular series, once I was old enough to consider it, it just always seemed like too much--like it was too daunting to catch-up to and keep up with.

I explain that only to point out where I am coming from. As a fan of "comic-book movies", my bias is a little different than say when I go to watch The Hobbit. I don't know the source material for a comic-book movie, but I have a life-long and intimate knowledge of The Hobbit. I am going to judge them differently. Whereas I may leave The Hobbit disappointed because a plot line or character, or character trait was omitted, I don't think about that at all watching X-Men or The Avengers. So, take my opinion on this stuff as a casual fan, at best.

• Thom

Thom

#15475161 - 6 years ago

Singer would be the safe bet after what he did for the first two X-Men films. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he a massive fan of X-Men? If he is, chances are he'll know the material very well and could surprise a few people with Days of Future Past providing he gets given the green light.

Isn't Vaughn staying on in an producing capacity as well?

• StrayElf

StrayElf

#15475396 - 6 years ago

"If not Singer, who should take over directing the project?"

A clone of Bryan Singer. He did an excellent job (especially with X2), and if not Vaughn, I wouldn't have anyone else other than Singer.

• MrFusion

#15482960 - 6 years ago

Well it looks like they penned Singer to move from the producer chair to the director's chair.