Forums > Music

Hip Hop

Posts (5255)

• naek

naek

#661711 - 14 years ago

Recently the true form of Hip Hop has made a huge comeback. With artists from the States and the United Kingdom making waves in the music world. Hip Hop has gone back to what it used to be. All about the beats and sick lyrics. No longer do we have to subject ourselves to 50cent and Pdiddy and others of low class.

If you are into hip hop or want to get into hip hop jus post a question here or tell us what your favourite hip hop artist is and/or song.

This thread can also be used to talk about Drum And Bass and the whole Ambient movement of chill out music.

• b3durnk

b3durnk

#662209 - 14 years ago

In reply to naek, #1:

I like Hip Hop. Not the popularized hip-hop/gangsta rap stuff that's because mega popular. but yeah. I'll bump that mod status up. =D

• Udet

Udet

#662489 - 14 years ago

Ah dude, I love you. There's been way too much negativity towards hiphop on the boards recently, where are dudes like Raoul and Madvillain when you need 'em?!

Basically, I don't know shit about hiphop, but I love it. I've been listening to it a lot lately. You'll find that some amazing talent is emerging from Australia, too, although I don't think any artists have really broken into international waters yet.

My only fear is that the commercial minions are starting to take notice. If they rape Aussie hiphop, I will cry, as it has been a place of sanctuary for me for a while.

• Udet

Udet

#662496 - 14 years ago

Favourite Australian hiphop song is States of Transit by 'The Herd'. They have this amazing sound that fuses that traditional urban sound with traditional instrumental music, and they sound really Aussie without being a total cliche.

Favourite US song at the moment is 'Slow Down Ghandi' by Sage Francis.

And I love my Mike Skinner, so The Streets' 'Stay Positive'. Or like... any of his tracks. Love him.

• AryaStark

AryaStark

#663006 - 14 years ago

Nas isn't my favorite rapper, but Illmatic is my favorite album.

• Ragnaviper

Ragnaviper

#663012 - 14 years ago

I've heard about this. Glad to see great artists coming in.

Unfortunately, MTV will probably try to smite them.

Must...
    Kill...
    MTV...

• crazybear

crazybear

#663243 - 14 years ago

word up gangsta ho's!

love fucking hip hop!

• crazybear

crazybear

#663244 - 14 years ago

word up gangsta ho's!

love fucking hip hop!

• chopperdave

chopperdave

#664472 - 14 years ago

In reply to naek, #1:

Does Chamillionare aka King Koopa count as Hip Hop? Cause he is the shit. I'm not into rap/hip hop, but i love his stuff.

• Shadow678

Shadow678

#664596 - 14 years ago

if this is a fill in the blank .. 1 word SUCKS

• aron191

aron191

#664647 - 14 years ago

In reply to Shadow678, #10:

Dude if you don't like hip hop just leave, don't be a dumbass.

• TravisBickle

TravisBickle

#664657 - 14 years ago

I brag and I boast man
    I got the most man
    I make more deliveries than the postman
    and its gonna take a miracle
    to drive a car this color down Imperial
    yeah I got heart, but aint tryin' to see Marshall Clark
    {punk ass bitch)
    so lets wait till it get dark.

I have no idea why i suddenly felt the urge to put down some WEESSSSST SIIIIIIIIDEEEE!!!! But there it is. These lyrics are from "The gangsta, The killa, and The dope dealer"

• xomni

xomni

#664673 - 14 years ago

So how about some hip hop groups you guys like?
    I'll start off I guess.
    Jedi Mind tricks.

• Evicted

Evicted

#664689 - 14 years ago

Hip Hop is an incredible musical genre I think, despite what the mainstream has done to it.

Currently my favorite albums in the hip hop genre are

Mos Def and Talib Kwali are Blackstar

and

Anticon Label Sampler 1999 -2004

• Jimmerz

Jimmerz

#664706 - 14 years ago

In reply to Udet, #3:

Amen. All these myopic metal heads (not that there is anything wrong with metal, I love that too) bashing everything they can't be bothered to learn about. So what have I heard lately that's cool...

I just got the latest Sage Francis cd, Personal Journals. I think he may have a new one out this week or next. I will probably get that as well.

And once again I will mention Gold Chains. This guy is a mix of hip hop and electronica. He has become an obsession.

• crazybear

crazybear

#664889 - 14 years ago

since NAEK this user is no longer a member on RvB i have taken upon myself to create a new Hip Hop Thread. Called Hip Hop Topic. I will regularly manage that thread. thank you. please post there now.

• Evicted

Evicted

#664890 - 14 years ago

In reply to Jimmerz, #15:

His newest album is actually A Healthy Distrust, it came out on Febuary 8th officially, but most major music stores don't have it in yet.

• crazybear

crazybear

#664892 - 14 years ago

please post in Hip Hop Topic Now due to the fact that the threads manager is no longer a memeber. :).

• TravisBickle

TravisBickle

#664931 - 14 years ago

In reply to crazybear, #18:

I'm confused with how him no longer being a member has any bearing on this thread.

• Jimmerz

Jimmerz

#664943 - 14 years ago

In reply to TravisBickle, #19:

I want to know how you cut and paste someone else's post, start a new thread, then 'manage' it.

• chopperdave

chopperdave

#665041 - 14 years ago

In reply to Jimmerz, #20:

I swear Chamillionaire, everyone needs to check him out.

• Zoidberg

Zoidberg

#665134 - 14 years ago

rakim. enough said.

• Udet

Udet

#665251 - 14 years ago

Ok, so what do people rate as most important in an MC's abilities?

Is it the way they flow (fast, smooth, shifting it about, etc)?

What they write (the rhyming, humour, etc)?

Or their voice (tone, personality, expression, etc)?

• Jimmerz

Jimmerz

#665283 - 14 years ago

In reply to Udet, #23:

I rate the music to be the most important. Innovative, real musicianship.

Then there is lyrical content. The message is important.

Then comes being sly. It has to be entertaining after all, that goes back to the music.

• Udet

Udet

#665297 - 14 years ago

And a lot of people don't realise that hiphop vocals still have to be pitched correctly; harmonious with the instrumental sections of the music. So don't say rapping is an easy way out!