Forums > Music

Gothic/Industrial/EBM

Posts (3679)

• nothingxjr

nothingxjr

#688601 - 14 years ago

The scene in gathering more and more attention thanks to bands like Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, and Marilyn Manson. Granted, none of them are really adding much (other than perhaps KMFDM) these days. The new wave of Gothic/Industrial/EBM has a much more uplifting sound, however the themes and stories told by these bands are just as dark and forboding. Some bands to watch for are:

Apoptygma Berzerk, Assemblage23, Icon of Coil, Covenant, Beborn Beton, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, BlutEngel, Velvet Acid Christ, VNV Nation, Clan of Xymox, The Cruxshadows, Das Ich, De/Vision, Evil's Toy, The Faint, Front242, Frontline Assembly, Funker Vogt, Project Pitchfork, Melotron and Mindless Self Indulgence.

One of the bands that started it all (or had a hand in starting it all) is Skinny Puppy, who returned last year after an 8 year leave of absence. KMFDM has also been doing it for over 20 years now as well. If we go back even further, you can hear the beginings of electronic music in solo Gary Numan and Kraftwerk back in the mid-seventies. And obviously David Bowie has always been experimental, even with the sounds of the sixties.

Thoughts?

• Fireball

Fireball DRUNK

#688603 - 14 years ago

In reply to nothingxjr, #1:

Yay! Icon of Coil.

I <3 them.

• TuckerIsGod

TuckerIsGod

#688604 - 14 years ago

it's Skinpuppy. And i think you outta throw Rammstein in there too. I think they're a little more industrial than metal.

• Fireball

Fireball DRUNK

#688606 - 14 years ago

In reply to _Fire_Ball_, #2:

They have a great sound. If you dont have "Machines are us." Pick it up and give it a listen!
    Great stuff to practice poi to.

• nothingxjr

nothingxjr

#688609 - 14 years ago

No, it's Skinny Puppy. Believe me, I've seen them twice and own almost all their domestic releases.

and yes, Machines are Us is a great album.

• Fireball

Fireball DRUNK

#688612 - 14 years ago

In reply to nothingxjr, #5:

Finally some one else who listens to them!!

• TuckerIsGod

TuckerIsGod

#688614 - 14 years ago

In reply to _Fire_Ball_, #6:

So it is! I have a few tracks of theirs from the Underworld soundtrack.

• nothingxjr

nothingxjr

#688615 - 14 years ago

Dude, they're great. I just wish I hadn't missed them when they came to town. I was in NY when they were in Ohio, and they were in NY when I was back in Ohio.

• Fireball

Fireball DRUNK

#688617 - 14 years ago

In reply to nothingxjr, #8:

That sucks. That happend to me before too.

• nothingxjr

nothingxjr

#688618 - 14 years ago

Do you like Assemblage23? they are playing here in May. I am NOT missing that one.

• b3durnk

b3durnk

#688620 - 14 years ago

I've never thought of Melotron as industrial. Maybe I'm thinking of a different Meltron. The Meltron I'm talking about is German and is synth-pop. =X

I love rammstein though.

• Fireball

Fireball DRUNK

#688622 - 14 years ago

In reply to nothingxjr, #10:

I havent heard enough of their stuff.

• Fireball

Fireball DRUNK

#688623 - 14 years ago

In reply to b3durnk, #11:

Rammstein=very good

• nothingxjr

nothingxjr

#688625 - 14 years ago

You are thinking of the right Melotron. I included EBM which can include synth-pop. Melotron is also a little (read: a lot) darker than our synth-pop, which I feel allows for its inclusion.

• shwanzi

shwanzi

#688772 - 14 years ago

In reply to nothingxjr, #14:

ICON OF COIL rocks! I also have the side-project CD Combichrist. It's pretty cool. Not as catchy as IOC, but still pretty cool. I picked up the IOC remix album 'Uploaded and Remixed' the other day. The track 'Simulated (Funker Vogt Remix)' is the coolest thing I've ever heard from an EBM band.

My faves in the Industrial/Goth/EBM genres...

Icon of Coil
    VNV Nation
    Funker Vogt
    Apoptygma Berzerk
    Velvet Acid Christ
    Suicide Commando
    Razed in Black
    Front Line Assmebly
    Cubanate
    KMFDM
    Front 242
    Apartment 26
    Razed in Black
    Pig
    Watts
    Schwein
    Stabbing Westward (before they went all lovey dovey)
    Hardwire
    Violent Work of Art
    Static-X (they're kinda nu metal, but a lot of their stuff is industrial influenced)
    Switchblade Symphony
    Leather Strip

there's more but they're not coming to me right now.

• Fireball

Fireball DRUNK

#688776 - 14 years ago

In reply to shwanzi, #15:

VnV Nation - Future perfect
    awesome album.

Switchblade Symphony is good too.

you have quite a good list there.

• shwanzi

shwanzi

#689010 - 14 years ago

In reply to _Fire_Ball_, #16:

Why thank you. :)

Yes, I have Future Perfect. I also have a remix of 'Genesis' on a 'This is Neo-Goth' compilation from Cleopatra Records that's pretty cool.

• acdcfanbill

acdcfanbill

#689052 - 14 years ago

i've heard some of FLA and Skinny Puppy as i have a friend who is a big industrial fan. Ministry is good stuff too imho.

• b3durnk

b3durnk

#689057 - 14 years ago

In reply to nothingxjr, #14:

Yeah, well I don't know what EBM means.

• dead_letter

dead_letter

#689081 - 14 years ago

Quite honestly, you should try going back a few years. Try looking at the ones who made goth popular, the Bauhaus. There song "Bela Lugosi's Dead" is acreditted with starting the "gothic movement." While there, check out Suoixsie And The Banshees and Sisters of Mercy. Fast forward to today, Black Tape for a Blue Girl is still pumping out quality albums. Bella Morte is starting to get recognition for their amazing music. The Cruxshadows amaze me with every album released. Icon of Coil make great goth mucis with a bit of a techno undertone, convince me that I'm not alive enough for death, nor alive enough for death. Vast manages to add a bit more art to an already artful genre. I love the goth genre of music. Though I don't see why people continue to classify it with industrial (granted, Metropolis Records has both genres). A majority of the bands that I like are on Metroplis (Bauhaus, Bella Morte), or Projekt Records (Voltaire).

• shwanzi

shwanzi

#689227 - 14 years ago

In reply to b3durnk, #19:

EBM stands for Electronic Body Music.

It's basically techno, but very dark and moody... and is usually made by German bands. lol.

• Fireball

Fireball DRUNK

#689480 - 14 years ago

In reply to shwanzi, #21:

Also very great stuff to poi to.

Ahh. this thread makes me happy.

• wasabi

wasabi

#689550 - 14 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of Mental Measuretech?

• Fireball

Fireball DRUNK

#689626 - 14 years ago

In reply to wasabi, #23:

Yeah I've heard a few songs by them. Pretty good stuff.

• TuckerIsGod

TuckerIsGod

#689627 - 14 years ago

In reply to dead_letter, #20:

Bela Lugosi's Dead is one of the creepiest songs i've ever heard. I fuckin Love it