Forums > Music

Bloc Party

Posts (22)

• davidmcneil

davidmcneil

#1005088 - 14 years ago

Anyone who likes british rock/indie music should listen to this band. I started listening to them a few mnths ago and ive been hooked ever since. Go listen now and post what you think here! Go! Go now!!!!

• red989

red989

#1005515 - 14 years ago

In reply to davidmcneil, #1:

Is there a site or anything?

• davidmcneil

davidmcneil

#1005541 - 14 years ago

yeah, www.blocparty.com sorry should have thought of that. There should be a few songs you can download for free from there. My 3 personla best songs are Helicopter, Positive Tension and Banquet

• mister_chef

mister_chef

#1005728 - 14 years ago

Bloc Party are very cool.
    My favourite songs are Helicopter, Like Eating Glass and Positive Tension. Some of the songs towards the end of Silent alarm start getting a bit samey, but it's a good album.

• mattiecore

mattiecore

#1006012 - 14 years ago

Like Eating Glass was the first song i heard by them

i just started listening to them about 2 weeks ago, and i'm hooked

they're really good

• WingerII

WingerII

#1006307 - 14 years ago

I bought Silent Alarm, and I think it's a decent album. It's certainly nothing special, but it's worth a listen.

• SPLChamps

SPLChamps

#1008249 - 14 years ago

In reply to davidmcneil, #1:

They are very unnoriginal. Very much of the emotionless rock that Britain is enjoying these days (Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand etc.). I personally hate them because their music has been done before, and done a lot better, but dont let me put you off listening to them. If you like the bands I mentioned before you'll like Bloc Party. This is an example of someone who hates them so that there is some balance in the forum.

• Evicted

Evicted

#1009387 - 14 years ago

I don't like franz ferdinand or the Kaiser Cheifs, but I do like block party, theres just something so authentically british about them...

• WingerII

WingerII

#1010093 - 14 years ago

In reply to SPLChamps, #7:

No matter how meh I am about Bloc Party, they're certainly better than Franz Ferdinand.

• SPLChamps

SPLChamps

#1010557 - 14 years ago

In reply to SPLChamps, #7:

wow....flamebaited for making an argument in the forum and just giving the other side of the coin...and admitting to it. Wow, really deserved that. I didn't realise that offering opposition to a point was a negative offence. Advice noted.

• SPLChamps

SPLChamps

#1010577 - 14 years ago

In reply to WingerII, #9:

hahaha. You don't know how good that sounds to a person from Glasgow! All we get is how amazing they are because they are from here. Its RIDICULOUS!!!

• yonex47

yonex47

#1013368 - 14 years ago

listen to Helicopter, its good shit.

• davidmcneil

davidmcneil

#1014433 - 14 years ago

I can unserstand why you could call franz ferdinand emotionless (sorry to any franz fans out there), and ill admit that Silent alarm dose get more mellow as it goes on but it does have emotion. Again listen to positive tension, the build up in that song i think is amazing.

• davidmcneil

davidmcneil

#1014506 - 14 years ago

i should mention i do actually like franz ferdinand even though i said that

• SPLChamps

SPLChamps

#1015275 - 14 years ago

In reply to davidmcneil, #13:

It's not a bad thing to be emotionless. It's just a style adapted from 80's bands like Talking Heads that has come back into common practice. The unofficial kings of emotionless rock would have to be The Strokes. It's not that the lyrics or the singing is emotionless, it's the music itself, very continuous and, for me at times, laborious. Usually, emotionless songs have no break down and have standard parts to them of Intro of Chorus Chords, Slower Verse, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Slow Verse Again, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus, End on One Chord Fading Out (I judge this on every Franz Ferdinand song I've ever heard).

• koston

koston

#1123186 - 14 years ago

The first time I heard about Bloc Party was in a little wonderful movie named What If? Its was very up-beat. The singer sings great, and the video is weird......its GREATNESS. The lyrics are also insane. I have to say this is a great indie band in my opinion.

• Black_Label

Black_Label

#1123755 - 14 years ago

I've only heard banquet.. its really good, i may pick up their CD

• warpedshark

warpedshark

#2112104 - 13 years ago

I really like Bloc Party, the frontmans accent works really well with the music.
    Silent Alarm is a good album so I want to hear what they can come out with a second album.

• hayato123

hayato123

#2170032 - 13 years ago

I heard Banquet, and really liked the sound of it, so I checked them out later sometime, and their album is really good.
    My favorite song is Helicopter.
    They defintely make the "British Indie" scene better than Franz Ferdinand.

• TheOx129

TheOx129

#2225577 - 13 years ago

Bloc Party are pretty good. Although I still think Maxïmo Park is the best and has the longest lasting power out of all the angular pop revival groups that have sprouted up in the UK.

• hayato123

hayato123

#2226192 - 13 years ago

Yeah, I havent really listened to them much lately but I have the album and I still really like it, I'll probably re-kindle it soon.

• PenguinDevil

PenguinDevil

#2228755 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheOx129, #21:

Ditto, I could listen to 'Graffiti' till my eyes popped out and not get bored of it. The Futureheads, too.

Personally, I like Bloc Party. Kele Okereke's voice compliments that 'haunting backdrop' vibe they've got going on, and the drumming in tracks like 'Like Eating Glass' is tight and catchy.

I haven't listened to 'Silent Alarm' that much lately to be perfectly honest, so I'm not too sure on staying power, but they've reached my 'bands I must see within the next 12 months' list.

As for Franz Ferdinand, I think I'm gonna reserve judgement until the new album's out. I liked the first one, but Franz's real strengths came in the filler on the first album (Jacqueline & 40" are spot-on), not just the big tunes like 'Take Me Out' etc. I'm listening to their latest track alot, and it's quite catchy and highly uncomplicated. Problem is, I'm not too sure if that's good or bad, so like I say I'm holding out for the album.

I am however off to see Franz Ferdinand @ London Alexandra on 31 Nov, not just for them but the fucking supporting line-up is awesome... Editors & The Rakes... ngggh!

Incidentally, if you like Bloc Party's style, I'd recommend giving Editors a listen. 'The Back Room' is a very good album and definately worth a squirt in my honest opinion.