Forums > Music

The Decemberists

Posts (35)

• RileyDexter

RileyDexter

#1851173 - 14 years ago

Excuse me if this topic has already been covered. I couldn't find it.

Does anyone like them? Heard of them? Whats your favorite song?

• NedR

NedR

#1851221 - 14 years ago

In reply to RileyDexter, #1:

Yes! I've been waiting for somebody to finally post a thread about them.

The Decemberists are amazing. I could listen to 16 Military Wives over and over again for the rest of my life.

• WingerII

WingerII

#1852547 - 14 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks 16 Military Wives is incredibly, incredibly out of place on Picaresque? I mean, it's a lukewarm protest song in the middle of an album full of fantastical chamber pop.

That being said...

Praise the Infanta!

• NedR

NedR

#1853029 - 14 years ago

In reply to WingerII, #3:

I wouldn't really call it out of place so much as trying something kind of new. It still sounds like a Decemberists one, but it's different from anything else they've done before, and I think that's good. I don't want to buy a rehash of Her Majesty, the Decemberists, no matter how excellent that album was. Besides which, you gotta love a good protest song.

Although The Infanta was a great song, too.

• mcnizzle

mcnizzle

#1855058 - 14 years ago

I love Engine Driver...great band!

• darwin

darwin

#1855123 - 14 years ago

Love 'em. In fact, the first time I heard Picaresque I went right out and picked up all of their albums the next day. I'm seeing them live in September at the ACL Music Fest.

• dpdlzrd15

dpdlzrd15

#1857297 - 14 years ago

lookin them up right now

• dpdlzrd15

dpdlzrd15

#1857354 - 14 years ago

I like em, i like that song july july, and soldiering life, i am about listen to 16 Military Wives on yahoo music

• WingerII

WingerII

#1858731 - 14 years ago

In reply to NedR, #4:

I'll admit that it's a catchy song, but it's not exactly creative or original, certainly not up to The Decemberists' standards.

"The anchorperson on TV goes 'La dee da dee da dee da dee da dee da-a'". I mean really.

• b3durnk

b3durnk

#1864442 - 14 years ago

Horrah. I have an accordian because of these guys.

• Mmorg

Mmorg

#1867751 - 14 years ago

Oh man, I love the decemberists. I saw them at a concert and they were absolutely amazing. Nothing is cooler than hearing everyone scream when the entire crew is eaten in mariners revenge.

In reply to WingerII, #9:

I agree that it's out of place among the rest of the album, but I mean the album did have less flow than most of their other ones. Like the infanta shouldn't be on the same album as eli the barrow boy, and of angels and angles shouldn't be next to...

Well, everything else that the decemberists have ever done.

16 military wives should be taken as a really good pop song. Nothing more, nothing less.

• RileyDexter

RileyDexter

#1868590 - 14 years ago

I'm seeing them on the 12th! I can't wait! Only 5 freakin' dollars!

• NedR

NedR

#1870202 - 14 years ago

In reply to RileyDexter, #12:

Dammit, I'm envious. Some guy in a different thread was talking about their live shows, and it sounded amazing.

• Duste

Duste

#1870221 - 14 years ago

In reply to WingerII, #9:

And people called "Back in the USSR" campy, yet it's still a classic. Not that I'm saying the Decemberists are the next Beatles (though wouldn't that be just loverly?) but maybe you've missed the point of the song?

Purhapes they made it sound like that, you know?

• RileyDexter

RileyDexter

#1874774 - 14 years ago

In reply to NedR, #13:

Can't wait! :-)

• RileyDexter

RileyDexter

#1899254 - 14 years ago

IT'S TODAY! I'M SEEING THEM TODAY!!!

• NedR

NedR

#1899584 - 14 years ago

In reply to RileyDexter, #16:

Cool. Let us know how it goes.

• RileyDexter

RileyDexter

#1901055 - 14 years ago

sure thing! :-)

• stevenisgood

stevenisgood

#1913861 - 14 years ago

I love them. I'm listening to On the Busmall right now, but my favourite song i think is The Mariner's Revenge Song.

• RileyDexter

RileyDexter

#1916823 - 14 years ago

They were freakin great!! Oh man... AWESOME.

• EnterDaMatrx

EnterDaMatrx

#1942224 - 14 years ago

I just downloaded like 5 of their songs. I dont really like the singers voice.. for some reason. They have some interesting lyrics however... shows some good songwriting. They definatly have some musical talent, the accordian adds an interesting element to alot of their music. It really reminds me alot of the upbeat pop of the 60s with alot of instrumentals... almost Beatles esque. Then theres the slower side.. which is alright and all. They dont really fit into my usual musical tastes, but I do enjoy and respect them as one of the few newer bands with talent.

• RileyDexter

RileyDexter

#1965301 - 14 years ago

I guess I am just a fan of strange singing voices.

• RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

#1980717 - 14 years ago

y'know, I wasn't a huge fan of them until I saw them live at the Intonation Music Festival here in Chicago. Live, they kicked a whole lot of ass...they apparently jazzed up their tunes a little bit for the festival setting, and they rocked much more than I thought they would. After enjoying their set to much, I went back and listened to their new album again...gotta say, as far as hipster music goes, the Decemberists are pretty darn good.

• RileyDexter

RileyDexter

#1988176 - 14 years ago

yay! They are great.

• fenris447

fenris447 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#2095244 - 14 years ago

Last summer my friend played all of Castaways & Cutouts and I loved it. So I have that, Picaresque and Her Majesty.