Forums > Music

Bob Dylan

Posts (151)

• TheClash

TheClash

#1994641 - 13 years ago

Another thread for all the Classic Rockers to take refuge in. I've had Like a Rolling Stone stuck in my head for the last 3 weeks. Infact Im stuck on the entire album of Highway 61. So, whats your favorite Dylan album? What song? ect., ect.

• DemoncF

DemoncF

#1995521 - 13 years ago

A great writer and good musician, but is often vastly overrated.

• Ragnaviper

Ragnaviper

#1995593 - 13 years ago

I took a few listens to him a while back and I just didn't like the music. No offense to the fans, I just don't like the music.

• DemoncF

DemoncF

#1995655 - 13 years ago

Oh yah... his harmonica playing sucked and was painful to listen to... ><

• TheOx129

TheOx129

#1995839 - 13 years ago

In reply to DemoncF, #2:

I'd hardly call him overrated. He is easily one of the Top 5 Songwriters of All Time, and broke down the barrier that your voice needed to be "good" in order for you to sing. I mean, he could write in a variety of styles - from surrealistic wordplay ("Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again") to highly introspective numbers ("My Back Pages") to simple yet powerful songs ("If Not For You") to just plain fun songs ("Rainy Day Women #12 & 35"). Regardless, he's definitely one of those artists that love or hate, you have to respect them.

• Ragnaviper

Ragnaviper

#1995909 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheOx129, #5:

Agreed. You have to respect the man for at the very least his lyrics.

• TheTeaBagger

TheTeaBagger

#1997807 - 13 years ago

Yes I agree to that.

But still, he is over-rated. At least, in my opinion he is. But, who isn't overrated, except for your favortie artist?

I'd just rather listen to Led Zeppelin or AC/DC than some of Bob Dylan's music.

• TheClash

TheClash

#1998011 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheTeaBagger, #7:

I definitely agree, but overrated doesn't mean bad. people just glorify his music too much. I still thinks an amazing artist, made some great music.

• PurpleSiren

PurpleSiren

#1998044 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheOx129, #5:

Yeah gotta agree with you. Up until a couple of months ago i couldn't see why people listened to his music, then i borrowed a greatest hits album and couldn't stop listening to it! Although alot of his songs sound depressing they some how cheer me up. I think he has been a big influence on alot of bands.

• TheTeaBagger

TheTeaBagger

#1998066 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheClash, #8:

Yes I agree completely. Bob Dylan is still a great musician.

• ipwnthenewbs

ipwnthenewbs

#1999376 - 13 years ago

Freewheelin Bob Dylan = Greatest record ever.

• DemoncF

DemoncF

#2000008 - 13 years ago

Exactly Clash, overrated doesn't always mean bad, I find Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, The Who, and The Beatles especially to be all overrated, not that I don't find them great, I still love them (Except the Beatles, though I still respect them).

• TheClash

TheClash

#2001335 - 13 years ago

In reply to DemoncF, #12:

Im a Rolling Stones fan myself. I dont really know if they can be called overrated these days though. The current generation seems to be overtly fasinated with the Beatles. I hardly ever hear anyone mention the Stones as one of their favorites. People either really like Led Zeppelin or The Beatles it seems.

• Bayka

Bayka

#2006210 - 13 years ago

Shelter from the Storm, Hard Rain, so many. My parents are really into him. Some great stuff.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2006970 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheClash, #13:

Actually, I think the generation to be called overly fasinated with the Beatles were the young teenagers of the 60's. :-)

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2006981 - 13 years ago

In reply to ipwnthenewbs, #11:

It is definately up there. I think it's a tie between Freewheelin' and Bringing it all Back Home for me. Perfect balance between his electric work (Subterranian Homesick Blues, Outlaw Blues, Maggie's Farm) and his acoustic work (Mr. Tambourine Man, It's Alright Ma)

• TheClash

TheClash

#2007617 - 13 years ago

In reply to imbenurnot, #15:

you get a Zing! for that one imbenurnot. I get the joke. But it seems the newest generation has a big fascination with the Beatles but seems to forget about the majority of the other music of the time. The Stones, CCR, The Who, Yardbirds, Eric Burdon and the Animals, The Kinks, The Hollies, ect. The only names I ever hear are The Beatles, Hendrix, and the Doors when I ask people what bands thet like from the 60's

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2007687 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheClash, #17:

Oh yeah, I agree completely. There are those that legitamately love and respect the Beatles' work, and then there are those that follow the fad. The latter are the ones that will say "Day Tripper is their best song!" instead of the apexes of geniousness and creativity that was "A Day in the Life" or the entire Revolver/White Album period. Those very three bands that you mentioned are definately the trendiest, but I think both the Beatles and Hendrix are very worthy of it. The Doors are a little overrated, but they are still good.

• TheClash

TheClash

#2007704 - 13 years ago

In reply to imbenurnot, #18:

Yeah, I personally never liked Day Tripper myself, anyway, yeah I'm a Doors fan, I admit it. But I do agree that Hendrix and the Beatles are more worthy that Jim Morrison. I still get the chills whenever i lsiten to The End.

• DemoncF

DemoncF

#2008029 - 13 years ago

I don't see day in the life as genious, I see it as creative and i'm sure innovative for the time... but overall, I'm unimpressed by the vast majority of the Beatles work.

• TheClash

TheClash

#2008078 - 13 years ago

In reply to DemoncF, #20:

It was innovative because it was coming from a band that song majorily a happy-tuned tpye of music and then went and did a depressing, slow and cluttered song thats influence can be found in many bands work. Pink Floyd is one of the more obvious. Their first album, Pipers at the Gates of Dawn, came out not too long after Sgt. Peppers.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2009772 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheClash, #19:

Oh thats not what I meant. I loved "Day Tripper," I was just using it as an example of a song that everyone would know because it was a huge single and is on the 1 collection. Give me tracks like "Rain" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" any day, with the latter being quite possibly my favorite song of all time.

So...about that Dylan. "Blowin' in the Wind," "Like A Rolling Stone," and "Isis" all rank high on my list of greatest songs of all time.

• TheClash

TheClash

#2010057 - 13 years ago

In reply to imbenurnot, #23:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps, thats a George Harrison song, one of my alltime favorites as well.

• TheTeaBagger

TheTeaBagger

#2010475 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheClash, #17:

I agree completely.

I am actually not that big of a fan of The Beatles (I like 'em, but I'm not as obsessed as a lot of fans are). But I love the Kinks and the Animals. Eric Burdon has one of the greatest voices in rock n' roll.

• TheClash

TheClash

#2010521 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheTeaBagger, #25:

Burdon is by far one of the best voices of all time. We Gotta Get Out of This Place was an amazing song and is probably my favorite of their work