• Adam14

Adam14

#2016205 - 13 years ago

I'm diggin blonde on blonde right now.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2021623 - 13 years ago

In reply to Adam14, #27:

That album has yet to do it for me. I just kind of find it boring, I don't know why. "Rainy Day Woman # (I forget the numbers, sorry)" is a great song, but the rest of the album is just hard to listen straight through. Its not the quality of Highway 61 or Bringing it All Back Home.

• Adam14

Adam14

#2066027 - 13 years ago

I really like visions of johana and stuck inside of mobile. But I don't have many of his other albums.

• TheClash

TheClash

#2066367 - 13 years ago

Ive been trying to get ahold of some of his albums on cd, i have about 5 on my pc as of right now.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2066965 - 13 years ago

Definately, definately, DEFINATELY get the Bootleg Series from 1966. It is impossible to not love those recordings. The song that turned me on to Dylan in the first time, "Who Killed Davey Moore?", is on that cd. One of the best live discs I've ever heard.

• Tequila

Tequila

#2067952 - 13 years ago

Okay I'm sure some of you know this already but to those who don't know. On PBS next month there is going to be a Bob Dylan documentary by Martin Scorsese called No Direction Home: Bob Dylan. It's a full four hours so keep that day clear I know I will.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2068663 - 13 years ago

In reply to Tequila, #32:

Oh I'm looking forward to that. Also the soundtrack, which I think will make me orgasm on first listen.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2140040 - 13 years ago

*salivation*

Must...see.....must...buy with...birthday money....

• zxsurferboy

zxsurferboy

#2140273 - 13 years ago

Bob Dylan, possibly the GREATEST song writer ever to set face to the Earth, if anyone called him overrated, he is severly UNDERRATED, ask most of the people at your school, work, whatever under 25, most people will never have heard of him. How can you not hear of the guy that wrote 'Like A Rolling Stone' which is how the Rolling Stones and the Magazine 'The Rolling Stone' got it's name, just give him credit where credit is due, and I'd like to see you play a guitar while playing a harmonica at the same time.

• ipwnthenewbs

ipwnthenewbs

#2141385 - 13 years ago

The Rolling Stones were around before he wrote that song. I think the magazine was, too, but don't quote me on that one.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2141691 - 13 years ago

Actually zxsurferboy, thats not where they got the name. The Stones got the name from a Muddy Waters song called "Rolling Stone." Not sure when the magazine started, but I'm pretty sure that it got the name from Jagger and Co. The whole concept is just kind of imbedded into the culture, and Dylan just wrote the second greatest song of all time ("A Day in the Life" being the first) based on the concept. I don't remember who said it, but someone said "The first thing you hear is that snare which just invites you to open your mind, and I was sold from then on" (paraphrased). Its so true. That song is simply magnificent from the first snare to the final note. I slightly prefer his acoustic days over his electric days, but albums don't get much better then Highway 61 Revisited or Bringing it all Back Home.

• Adam14

Adam14

#2143899 - 13 years ago

In reply to zxsurferboy, #35:

Take a look at my avatar if you want to see the best song writer in american music history.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2144511 - 13 years ago

ouch, that is a toughie. Robert Johnson is freakin incredible, but I think Dylan holds the title of best songwriter of all time. The man just did so damn much. Going from mostly Woodie Guthrie songs on his debut, to three of the worlds finest examples of folk songwriting, to breaking the barrier between folk and rock with Bringing it all Home and Highway 61 Revisited, to some damn good country on Nashvile City Skyline. The man is the true gem of American music as The Beatles were for England. The dynamic duo in our avatars (Son House, Robert Johnson) truelly are the roots, and they played the most powerful, emotional music ever recorded, but they never reached the creative zeniths as Dylan and Lennon/McCartney did.

• Adam14

Adam14

#2144878 - 13 years ago

In reply to imbenurnot, #39:

Johnson never got the oppertunity to produce much due to being poisoned. But I wouldn't go so far as to say Lennon/McCartney were as good as Dylan. They just didn't do as much for modern music as people give them credit for. But I'm not going to get into that considering this isn't a beatles thread.
    As far as Dylan goes he's good but he's not as great as everyone makes him out to be. Yes he did folk very well but just because a person makes a lot of material it doesn't mean that material is that great. So that's my take. Since it's music I'm entitled to my opinion and everyone else is entitled to theirs. No one person is ever right when it comes to art, all we have is opinion. Now I am falling into bed. Goodnight RvB.

• TheClash

TheClash

#2144931 - 13 years ago

In reply to imbenurnot, #39:

I wish I could sound as infinitly intelligent as Imbernurnot on the subject. But, I disgress. Anyway, I agree 100%

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2149266 - 13 years ago

In reply to Adam14, #40:

I know its your opinion, and I completely respect it. This is discussion, though. We're just discussing the man. I'm providing my points, you're providing yours. We need this kind of dichotomy in discussions more often, as opposed to the Favorite threads that mostly consist of people discussing why they love Metal, and who their favorite Metal musicians are.

My point was Dylan definately did alot more then folk. When he went electric, he really became an amazing Rock 'n' Roll artist.

• ipwnthenewbs

ipwnthenewbs

#2150135 - 13 years ago

He's also done some blues and jazz throughout his career. He's just an amazing artist, period. Regardless of genre.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2159670 - 13 years ago

A friend of mine just got the recently released Bootleg Vol. 7, and it is rediculously AMAZING! It has material ranging from the his first album up through Highway 61. So much great live material. Anybody that remotely likes Bob should pick this up asap.

• ipwnthenewbs

ipwnthenewbs

#2160104 - 13 years ago

I heard it the other day. Some of it was okay, I didn't like the "alternate takes" at all though. I'll probably get it sometime though.

• ipwnthenewbs

ipwnthenewbs

#2171570 - 13 years ago

Meh, other then the Positivly 4th Street cover by I can make a mess, it blows.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2172027 - 13 years ago

I've never heard of it, who's on it?

The White Stripes do some pretty good Dylan covers.

• ipwnthenewbs

ipwnthenewbs

#2174352 - 13 years ago

Track Listing
    Disc 1
    Steel Train - Don't Think Twice (It's Alright)
    Anberlin - Like A Rolling Stone
    Roark - Mr. Tambourine Man
    Socratic - Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You
    House Of Fools - Blowin' In The Wind
    As Tall As Lions - Girl Of The North Country
    Jenoah - Man In Me
    Cerys Matthews - I Believe In You
    The Format - Simple Twist Of Fate
    Jason Mraz - A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

Disc 2
    Rock-N-Roll Soldiers - Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
    David Melillo - It Ain't Me Babe
    I Can Make A Mess LNB - Positively 4th Street
    Something Corporate - Just Like A Woman
    Kisschasy - She Belongs To Me
    Days Away - To Ramona
    Julia Haltigan - Boots Of Spanish Leather
    James Blunt - I Want You
    Steel Train - I Shall Be Released
    The Stay At Home Joneses - The Times They Are A-Changin'
    Rx Bandits - The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll

You can listen to 90 second clips of each song here: www.purevolume.com/listentobobdylan

• TheOx129

TheOx129

#2175258 - 13 years ago

In reply to ipwnthenewbs, #49:

I just listened to the sample of the "Like a Rolling Stone" cover. It makes me weep for humanity. How did Anberlin take a beautiful and poetic song and turn it into a stereotypical alt-rock song?

Okay, after listening to some of the other songs, they all have one fatal flaw. They barely change the structure OR delivery of the songs, just give them your stereotypical alt-rock sound, circa early-1990s. I did like the cover of "Positively 4th Street" though, I Can Make A Mess LNB gave the song a mellow and druggy feel.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2176341 - 13 years ago

hmm, that compilation really doesn't look that good to me. Besides, "Like A Rolling Stone" is kinda like alot of Beatles songs, they simply should not be covered because you can't get close to the origionals, nor do the origionals leave any room open for improvement.(unlike a lot of blues songs that are fantastic but would make great covers because of all the open space that can be filled for good or bad). Hendrix's version was decent for a quick live song, but much more simply wouldn't work.

• TheOx129

TheOx129

#2176457 - 13 years ago

In reply to imbenurnot, #51:

Agreed, I think more tribute CDs should focus on lesser-known tracks by an artist. They should've covered...I don't know...maybe songs like "The Man In Me".