Forums > Music

Bob Dylan

Posts (151)

• TheClash

TheClash

#2598286 - 13 years ago

Though imbenurnot I have to ask, what album was Subterranean Homesick Blues on? I can't seem to find the exact album it originates from.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2598528 - 13 years ago

You poor child. Go buy "Bringing it All Back Home" right now. You cannot live without "Mr. Tamborine Man," "Its Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)," "Outlaw Blues," or "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream" (funniest song begining ever).

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2777571 - 13 years ago

Well, lets bump this.

I was looking around on Amazon.com and read the funniest review that I've ever read.

Blonde on Blonde

"I purchased this album thinking it might have an 80's heavy metal vibe to it, based on the alluring title "Blonde on Blonde." Hey, what can I say, I don't know much about music!! At any rate, I was at first disappointed by the poetic feel and mellow aura to the album, but soon warmed up to it. I feel as if I've discovered a prodigy in the making here, perhaps a young James Taylor or something. This Bob Dylan character writes with a real passion, a real feel for the world. Nonetheless, emotional depth will only get you so far with the fans. It's time this guy stepped up to the plate and made an appearance on Carson Daly's vibrant "TRL" music program - that's when you know you've arrived!! I'd definitely like to see Daley 'n Dylan sit down to have an in depth chat about music. One gets the feeling Daley might put this young upstart in his place a bit. Well, I gotta' run, but check this album out. It's got an old-time hippie vibe, but you might dig it, man!!

As for the 80's vibe I was looking for, I guess I should stick with Poison and the like!!

TAKE CARE!!"

• RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

#2777688 - 13 years ago

That must be a joke. Sweet Jeebus, I hope it's a joke.

• MustyMung

MustyMung

#2778146 - 13 years ago

That has to be a joke. There's no one that could possibly be that clueless. Particularly if they're pushing TRL and Poison in the same review. It doesn't make sense that they'd be such a fan of TRL, still have heard of Poison, and not know who Bob Dylan is. I don't buy it. I can't get behind it.

• Quinibus

Quinibus

#2778316 - 13 years ago

It's not a joke. I read these Amazon reviews all the time, and apparently there are plenty of really dumb people on there. I've also come accross such gems as "Sgt. Pepper is a Dark Side of the Moon rip-off," Frank Zappa wrote wierd music because he didn't know how to play the guitar, and another which was convinced that Dylan is a new artist who is uncreatively ripping off the Dave Mathews Band, but if he tries hard enough, he might do well.

Just read the 1-star reviews of all the classic albums you can think of; they're a hoot.

• TheClash

TheClash

#2804839 - 13 years ago

In reply to imbenurnot, #105:

Wow, thats just sad. so damn sad

• TheOx129

TheOx129

#2804913 - 13 years ago

I've seen plenty of reviews like that. One guy reviewing Tom Waits's Rain Dogs actually said that Tom Waits was just copying Tool on it (though he did give the album three stars). That same guy also said that both The Beatles and Mississippi John Hurt ripped off Tool.

Reviews like this are pretty damn funny, nonetheless.

• grow_one

grow_one

#2806069 - 13 years ago

have u heard house of the rising sun by Bob Dylan? he gave that a Dylan twist ( on the album "Bob dylan") and i love like a rolling stone to... the man is a legend!

• grow_one

grow_one

#2806208 - 13 years ago

dylans voice was one of the reason people loved him , so different and moving
    he coulnt have been so successfull without that voice of his

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2812356 - 13 years ago

In reply to grow_one, #111:

Yeah, his version of that song is great. Funny story from No Direction Home. When he was recording, he sang the song in the style that an other folk singer (can't remember his name, any help here Ox?) sang it. Well, that singer had to stop singing his version of the song because people thought that he was ripping off of Bobby. Well, poetic justice is served when Bob has to stop singing the song for fear of being accused of stealing the song from The Animals. This story should be followed by an evil sounding laugh, but I can't pull it off.

• MustyMung

MustyMung

#2813107 - 13 years ago

In reply to imbenurnot, #113:

funny thing is, no one knows who wrote the song originally. It's an old standard folk song that's been around for ages. I have a version by the Weavers, but in my opinion the Animals have far and away the best version.

I do have a version of Amazing Grace, sung to the tune of House of the Rising Sun, by the Blind Boys of Alabama, which is pretty damn cool as well.

• Quinibus

Quinibus

#2813876 - 13 years ago

Yes, I agree; the Animals have the best version by far. I also enjoy the versions by Pink Floyd and Muse; chech them out if you ever find them. Muse's version is in the same spirit of the Animals version, Floyd's is just straight pre-DSotM Psychadelia, but both are nice.

• TheOx129

TheOx129

#2814402 - 13 years ago

I believe he "borrowed" Dave Van Ronk's arrangement, though I might be mistaken.

I think The Animals' arrangement remains definitive, though. Which is surprising, considering that they completely changed the meaning of the song with their arrangement.

• MustyMung

MustyMung

#2814438 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheOx129, #116:

in what way would you say that they changed the meaning of the song? Other than change the perspective from a womans voice to a mans voice, most of the original intent seems to be there. But maybe i'm missing something.

• Quinibus

Quinibus

#2814585 - 13 years ago

In reply to MustyMung, #117:

In The Animal's version the man is a gambler not a whore.

• grow_one

grow_one

#2817729 - 13 years ago

yer i heard that too, funny aint it?

• grow_one

grow_one

#2820652 - 13 years ago

house of the rising sun is an american ballad writing years ago by many people and i can play it
    HA

• TheClash

TheClash

#2823891 - 13 years ago

In reply to imbenurnot, #104:

"Gates of Eden" is my favorite off of that album along with "Subterranean Homesick Blues"

• MustyMung

MustyMung

#2823946 - 13 years ago

In reply to grow_one, #120:

you're a very special person.

• grow_one

grow_one

#2825045 - 13 years ago

In reply to MustyMung, #122:

In reply to grow_one, #120:

you're a very special person.

YES......I.......AM!

• TheClash

TheClash

#2886373 - 13 years ago

Anyone, time to bump this thread back up.

Interesting fact. Bob's real last name was Zimmerman. He only changed it after finding out about the poet Dylan Thomas and deciding he liked the name.

• grow_one

grow_one

#2887510 - 13 years ago

cool

• Garman70

Garman70

#2887659 - 13 years ago

i think my fav 2 tracks would be Hurricane and All Along the Watchtower

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2889731 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheClash, #124:

Yeah, thats true. He never felt right where he was, and he never felt like his name was right.