Forums > Music

Chopped and Screwed

Posts (18)

• 02sonny

02sonny

#2247140 - 13 years ago

Down here in Texas, we've had chopped and screwed music. You can hear it bangin out of anything from Neons to H2's. I just wanted to know if this type of music is catching on anywhere else. Also, what DJ's do ya'll have that are doin it.

• urbanlegend

urbanlegend

#2248363 - 13 years ago

I don't know about the DJ's that do it beside DJ Screw but he's dead now, he invented it and i know you know but some other ppl who come in here might not know.

• 02sonny

02sonny

#2250084 - 13 years ago

We got Michael "5000" Watts, OG Ron C, DJ Yella Boy, DJ Bull, and Rapid Ric and DJ Smallz are coming up. Paul Wall tries, and did Lil' Flip's U Gotta Feel Me, but I don't think he's that good, he loops the hook, and don't chop it different.

• TechCam97

TechCam97

#2254239 - 13 years ago

In reply to 02sonny, #3:
    Don't forget about Chamillionaire! He's probably one of my favs when it comes to chopped and screwed (He also works closely with Michael Watts, Ron C and others). Then there's Mike Jones....but I can't stand him. He doesn't give credit to DJ Screw and others like the old Swisha House artists (and other chop/screw artists in Texas) do, he just makes it look and sound like he invented it. I haven't even heard him say anything about DJ Screw or other artists who developed the sound in his music, when other guys usually throw a line in there for them. Paul Wall does ok, he's been best friends with Chamillionaire since childhood and studied under DJ Screw, so I think he'll do ok when he comes into his own.

• TechCam97

TechCam97

#2254254 - 13 years ago

Sorry to make another post, but I forgot to mention DJ Marco Polo. Not sure where he's from, definantly somewhere in Texas cuz he says somethin about North West -- Texas (the -- is where he chopped the song and I couldn't make out the city) Probably Houston, that's where 99.99% of the artists are coming from. I have one of his CDs and it's pretty good.

• 02sonny

02sonny

#2254297 - 13 years ago

In reply to TechCam97, #4:

Actually, I was wondering what other DJ's were claiming to chop and screw CD's. I know all about Chamillionaire. He is one of my favorite rappers, along with Big Tiger and Magno. Magno used to rap alongside Mike(Dyke) Jones, but Mike Jones gave him the boot. Magno has a song with the pioneers of Swishahouse on his New Print album. Chamillionaire also said in an interview that he never used to listen to Screwed Up music, until he was on a Screw mixtape. I still prefer to hear some of the originals: Big Tiger, Lil' Keke, Lil' O, Lil' Flip, Z-Ro, and Archie Lee,.

• 02sonny

02sonny

#2254304 - 13 years ago

In reply to TechCam97, #5:

I've never heard of him. I might have to check him out.

• fyreblazer

fyreblazer

#2254671 - 13 years ago

nah, i think it would be wack if an up north or west coast DJ tried to chop and screw because that's not our native shit so don't no DJs up here do it. to be honest with mike jones, slim thug, paul wall and cham (oh is my favorite out the 4) getting mad love and spins up here, the chopped & screw is kinda sorta catching on, but the average east coast cat ain't gonna listen to it. it takes east coast dudes like me & my peoples to open our ears and try to open other people's ears to it.

but that paul wall people's champ chopped & screwed is fire.

• Loki142

Loki142

#2254690 - 13 years ago

In reply to 02sonny, #6:

How can you like chamillionaire and mike jones at the same time?

• 02sonny

02sonny

#2254762 - 13 years ago

In reply to Loki142, #9:

His old stuff is good, before all the repeating. And that, "Mike Jones, Who" got played out about 2-3 years ago down here. I liked him when he was with Magno. I bought his CD and listened to it once and that was enough for me. Even the chopped and screwed version was boring. Hopefully Chamillionaire's Sound of Revenge will be just as good as Get Your Mind Correct was. Also, did you not notice the Dyke Jones. Chamillionaire would kill him on any track. When Chamillionaire did that track with Mag and Mike, Mike Jones had the weakest part.

• Loki142

Loki142

#2254903 - 13 years ago

In reply to 02sonny, #10:

thats what i was saying he hates mike jones, him and pookie and lucci just got signed to the same company didnt they?

• TuckerFan19

TuckerFan19

#2255096 - 13 years ago

I have Mike Jones screwed and cut album its cool but i like the original one

• 02sonny

02sonny

#2255167 - 13 years ago

In reply to Loki142, #11:

My bad, I thought you were saying that I liked Mike Jones and Chamillionaire. I used to like Mike Jones, but not too much anymore. I do gotta say he's doing good for himself though. I just hope Chamillionaire passes his success.

• TechCam97

TechCam97

#2255361 - 13 years ago

In reply to 02sonny, #13:
    Cham should, he's a way better artist than Dyke Jones. I thought it was funny that almost immediately after him and Jones parted ways he came out with the 3 CD Mixtape Messiah and it took Jones like, what....2 years to make oneCD?

• 02sonny

02sonny

#2255887 - 13 years ago

Mixtape Messiah made Jones look stupid. That Roots skit and the phone call killed.

• TechCam97

TechCam97

#2261656 - 13 years ago

Small Bio on DJ Marco Polo. He is from Houston I found out. A lot of people say he reminds them of DJ Screw. I'm not sure what stores his CDs are sold in, I got mine from a friend who went to a show in Houston a year or two ago. I'm sure you can find them online though.

• Darkgamer923

Darkgamer923

#2609148 - 13 years ago

I saw the word screw and got excited... but then when I saw what the post was about... well then I was not so excited.

huh? wha... ohh hey what's up Sonny? smiley0.gif

• 02sonny

02sonny

#2609253 - 13 years ago

You don't want "chop" in the same sentence as "screw" the way you're thinking of it.