Forums > Music

African Music

Posts (9)

• Pondy

Pondy

#2360102 - 13 years ago

Hi Everyone. :)

Just out of curiosity, I want to know how many people love the sounds of traditional black african music. (If you need an example, watch the beginning of the Lion King, there's some in there)
    I just love the incredible harmonies and their use of voice and percussion together to create the unique music of Africa.
    And please, if you only have negative comments on this topic, please keep it to yourself.

• syrix2

syrix2

#2360107 - 13 years ago

totally AGREE.

• Kor

Kor

#2360239 - 13 years ago

That was African music? I thought it was some other culture.

Either way, it was awesome.

• Pondy

Pondy

#2360263 - 13 years ago

Well the movie is in africa. lol

• Evicted

Evicted

#2361127 - 13 years ago

Riiiiight. I think Ladysmith Black Mambazo is the vocal group who did that. Anyway, yeah african music is good.

Artists definetly worth listening to:

Salif Keita
    Youssou N`dour
    Lucky Dubé
    Alpha Blondy and the Solar System
    Diblo Dibala
    Ali Farka Toure
    Johnny Clegg

• HeroinAddikt

HeroinAddikt

#2361227 - 13 years ago

In reply to Pondy, #1:

ok follow my logic.

Egypt is a country in Africa.
    "traditional black african music" is referring to cultural music within the sects of africa.

So therefore...

the band Nile uses a lot of Egyptian instrumetns and sounds and has made a handful of instrumentals full of it, and I find them all to be very avant garde and ambient and pleasant. (all 3 of those are good things, btw...lol)

but if i'm off in my assumptions then disregard the post.

• xredcoatx

xredcoatx

#2362108 - 13 years ago

In reply to Pondy, #1:

I love it.

• RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

#2363054 - 13 years ago

Iff'n you like African music, check out Dimanche a Bamako by Amadou & Miriam, a couple that met at a school for the blind in Mali. The album transcends a lot of the stereotypes that people hold about world music. It's a wonderfully beautiful R&Bish album. Here's a link to Pitchfork's review

• Pondy

Pondy

#2382956 - 13 years ago

I have a Ladysmith Black Mambazo album. That's mainly what inspired me to start this thread. I also did an assignment on African music last year.