Forums > Music

N.W.A

Posts (3)

• teh_p3t3r

teh_p3t3r

#2410446 - 13 years ago

The Official N.W.A thread

The following is an excerpt from an article on Wikipedia.org:

N.W.A. released the groundbreaking Straight Outta Compton one year later in 1989. Many consider it a wake-up call to the problems that were going on in the West, particularly in South Central Los Angeles. Most of the songs on Straight Outta Compton were about life in the ghetto. The opening three songs seemed to express the feeling of the people in Compton. "Straight Outta Compton" reflected a rising anger in the city, "Fuck the Police" talked of police violence, and "Gangsta Gangsta" spoke of gang life.

All 5 members made significant contributions to the album, especially Ice Cube, since he wrote some of the most memorable lyrics on the album. MC Ren also wrote significant amounts of material for the album, making sure he wasnt just the new guy on the team. Eazy-E, despite having most of his songs written by Ice Cube, provided comical relief with his hysterical raps. To top it all off the dual producers Dr. Dre and Yella provided fresh and funky beats for each song and Dre occasionally rapped on the album.

Some of the lyrics were considered highly dangerous, especially those of their most notorious song, "Fuck Tha Police." It resulted in Milt Ahlerich, an assistant director of the FBI, sending a letter to Ruthless Records and its parent company Priority, advising the rappers that the law enforcement took "exception to such action (fucking the police)." The FBI's letter only served to draw more publicity to the group.

Dr. Dre once said, "We wanted to make albums just for people like us to listen to" but a majority of the sales came from the white suburbs, as teenagers could now find a new way to be rebellious from their parents. Still, fans and critics alike consider Straight Outta Compton to be one of the greatest albums ever in gangsta rap, opening the door for more acts to come. Straight Outta Compton eventually went double-platinum and Rolling Stone Magazine recently named it the 144th greatest album of all time on their 500 Greatest Albums List and the 10th greatest albulm on SPIN's top 100 albulms from 1985 to the present.

This is the end of the article from Wikipedia

Seeing as how the majority of the topics in forum has to deal with some form of rock or Video game soundtracks (Which I am not dissing at all since I actually love all forms of music EXCEPT COUNTRY) I felt that classic Gangsta rap deserved its own thread in here. I recently started listening to N.W.A again and I'm hooked.

Anyone else feel the same way?

• hypersaxon

hypersaxon

#2412149 - 13 years ago

1, 2, 3 and to da 4, Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr. Dre is at yo door!

N****as With Attitude bitch!

• hypersaxon

hypersaxon

#2412171 - 13 years ago

BTW one of the best, and most convenient ways of listening to NWA is by playing San Andreas, they've got a lot of NWA music in that game smiley8.gif