Forums > Music

Concert for Bangladesh

Posts (8)

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2622419 - 13 years ago

Oh. My. God. I have just discovered that this was being released on CD and DVD. This concert was one of the most important events in music history. It was the first benifit concert in history. Millions of dollars were donated to the helpless, war torn, nature ravished, young country of Bangladesh. It also signified the return of many great artists. The 1971 concert George Harrison's first since the Beatles' last concert in 1966. It was Bob Dylan's first concert after his near-death motorcycle accident in Woodstock. It was also Clapton's first concert since his work with Derek and the Dominos. Is anybody else really excited about this release?

• Benjovi

Benjovi

#2625374 - 13 years ago

Is the DVD coming out? If so I'm buying it for sure.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2626432 - 13 years ago

I believe that it is already out. Rolling Stone had a great article about it (yeah, the magazine was actually useful for once!).

• RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

#2627441 - 13 years ago

In reply to imbenurnot, #3:

Heh...for all the good it eventually did, the promoter (can't remember who it was...a known scumbag manager) tied up the proceeds, and they didn't reach Unicef for a number of years.

'Course, that doesn't change the fact that I'ma buy the DVD when it comes out.

And Rolling Stone is very useful! It serves as a wonderful barometer of how low the music criticism community has fallen.

• TheOx129

TheOx129

#2631362 - 13 years ago

In reply to RaoulDuke, #4:

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." - Anonymous (though it's been attributed to various people, ranging from Elvis Costello to Charles Mingus to Frank Zappa)

Anyways, I'm willing to bet that the "scumbag manager" was Allen Klein, founder of ABKCO. Hell, when George Harrison recorded the demo of "Beware of Darkness" for All Things Must Pass, it included the lyric "Beware of ABKCO" (I confirmed this, too, since I have a bootleg called Beware of ABKCO! which contains most of the All Things Must Pass demos) , which was taken off the final product at the urging of Phil Spector to avoid legal troubles.

I'm excited about this release, too. You have George Harrison, Ravi Shankar, Leon Russell, Billy Preston, and a triumphant return by Bob Dylan all in one place. You also have a backing band consisting of Badfinger, Ringo Starr, and Eric Clapton on top of the aforementioned performers.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2631586 - 13 years ago

In reply to TheOx129, #5:

That acoustic version of Beware of Darkness is absolutely sublime. It is far more enjoyable then the original, and that is saying alot.

• TheOx129

TheOx129

#2631714 - 13 years ago

In reply to imbenurnot, #6:

I've heard that Leon Russell's cover is better than the one on the album, too. Russell is one of those artists who is a very talented songwriter in their own right, yet they also have the ability to take other people's songs and make them their own.

• imbenurnot

imbenurnot

#2633456 - 13 years ago

Unfortunately, I havn't heard any Leon Russel. Guess thats just more motivation for me to get this DVD, eh?