Forums > Music

Real Punk Bands

Posts (1356)

• CasbaRocker

CasbaRocker

#3893171 - 13 years ago

In reply to kip182, #23:

I totally agree with you that there are many awesome true punk bands around today, and I try to still when I have time make it to as many shows as I can. I probably have 3 cd binders full of punk bands from all over the world ranging from bands from the 70's to bands that came out last year. When I made the topic I just was looking at my ipod to see who I had on it today, lol

But you made a great post comparing todays punk bands with past punk bands. I do like today's punk very very much, I just get very fed up with the trendy pop mall fake punk that kids get confused with.

Dont get me wrong, I hope punk does get more popular, I just hope it keeps its pure form and does not become something some ceo can turn a profit on by putting it on a pink shirt

• wookie182

wookie182

#3893276 - 13 years ago

In reply to independent, #3:

Green day lost it at DOOkie and now they suck and they ARE NOT punk

• kip182

kip182

#3896320 - 13 years ago

Yeah I agree with you guys. [CasbaRocker and Quinibus]

Punk now is being defined now as a sound. So are other genres. They started off as an attitude or movement or something and are now a sound. Look at indie for example. Used to mean 'independant' now its a sound related to bands such as the killers, the strokes and whoever else. There is arguements over what is real indie now as well for the same reason as the arguments of punk.

But just to demostrate how confusing the punk genre is....

Would you consider blink 182 a real punk band? No. If you knew what true punk is you would say they arnt't. You might call them sellouts etc... They definantly had punk roots in them, but they definantly had pop in them as well. Because of the pop element, a lot of people say they arn't punk. But then Ramones are considered true punk because of their 'I know we arn't awesome but we play anyway' attitude. Yet thats exactly what blink 182's attitude was.
    But everyone judges bands by their sound. Because that is the obvious way to do it. You listen to the music, not the motives behind the music. That's why genres are now put into sounds.

So the term 'punk' is so undefined or hard to understand or changed that we can obviously see why punk bands of today are put in the same genre of old punk. Because no one really understands the term punk. Hell I don't even understand it properly.

• GunSlinger89

GunSlinger89

#3899207 - 13 years ago

What about the Misfits? I'd say that they're punk.

• Wickens

Wickens

#3900330 - 13 years ago

I consider the misfits punk. I hate their old stuff though, terrible production and vocals.

• kitcorpse

kitcorpse

#3903803 - 13 years ago

In reply to Ghost1775, #17:

By the way its X-Ray Spex.

• kevanator

kevanator

#3904374 - 13 years ago

some good ones youve forgotten

Minor Threat
    AFI
    Rancid-indie sure but, still very punk-like
    offspring-punk, but also at the same time pop, more punk though
    misfits-oh yea
    Greenday-they are punk, but way way more pop then offspring or any of those.

The problem is if someone likes a band, they want them to be labeld whats cool. Pop-punk isnt considered very cool. Therefore when someone calls greenday, fallout boy, etc they get a little touchy. Its dumb that people cat be unbiased while determining what type of music is what. Something i do, but am working on stopping.

• weapon_x007

weapon_x007

#3906213 - 13 years ago

Wow I am suprised that nobody has mentioned Bad Religion, Circle Jerks, Germs, x, regardless of the list the whole punk scene gained its head of steam through crappy music that was produced in the late 70's. The kids that followed punk back then were the high school rejects, and I dont mean the ones that jv football, the ones you tease cause they got a hyundai instead of a honda for thier 16th birthday, the ones got the shit kicked out of them cause they were a little different. I remember my buddy took a boot to the head because he sported a mohawk. Now you cant get into the sadie hawkins dance without one. These were the true misunderstood teens, and the bands were the same. This was the counter-culture of that era, not ours. Its just music now. The scene died out in the 90's. All that is left is what MTV can sell. I am as guilty as you are too, I like some of the bands. But its just music now.

• weapon_x007

weapon_x007

#3906220 - 13 years ago

[

Post edited 3/06/06 7:11PM

• CasbaRocker

CasbaRocker

#3906433 - 13 years ago

In reply to weapon_x007, #33:

very nice add ins, I love the circle jerks and bed religion

you also have some great insite threw the history of the scene

what gets me is today you have kids who have no idea what the scene used to be or meaning of things. Quick example of this is when I found out that kids were actually jumping in dumpsters for fun thinking dumpster diving is a game, when in reality it was a frase for punk kids who actually had no money trying to live on their own and actually had to go into dumpsters for food clothes or other things.

• eponymous

eponymous FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#3906448 - 13 years ago

Bad Religion, Against All Authority, Subhumans, Dead Kennedys, Raise a Flag, Propagandhi, Suicidal Tendencies, Minor Threat... These are what I'd consider to be "real" punk bands.

MXPX, Green Day, AFI (at least for the past ten years, i.e. post-Very Proud of Ya), Offspring, Sum-41, Blink-182... These are what I'd consider, at best, "mainstream pop-punk" and more probably "complete and utter shit."

• KickTheSmith

KickTheSmith FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#3912259 - 13 years ago

The Adicts are a good punk band. Still around today. They are curently on tour.

• MrJack

MrJack

#3916171 - 13 years ago

As you beat me to saying The Adicts, KickTheSmith, I now feel obliged to tell you to go to hell and die.

• Evicted

Evicted

#3916970 - 13 years ago

In reply to weapon_x007, #33:

I pretty much completely disagree with this post in its entirety. The followers of the early punk scene weren't all just rejected highschool kids, they were the rejects in general, punk started in the bars. Though punk has become amalgamated into our culture enough that it is now acceptable to have mohawks, studs etc. The underground punk scene is still strong (well ig uess that depends where you go but I think its pretty universal). There's still DIY kids doing their own thing without giving a fuck about what anyone thinks, there's hundreds of young people who protest their government and support direct action in every major city, and theres kids who get together to rent out a hall and get 5+ bands together to play for 6 dollars at the door, that is punk, thats all punk has ever been and thats all it will continue to be. The punk mentality sure as hell isn't dead, if you had any ins in the scene you would know that. Its funny how the first to say it's dead are the ones who were never a part of it in the first place.

• chuck_sister

chuck_sister

#3917557 - 13 years ago

huh. did punk make studs and peircings ok? i always thought it was the prodigy. (KIDDING! OH GOD KIDDING)

of the first list, i can say i only really listen to rancid. and i'm the first to admit i have a limited knowledge of music history or really, genre borders in general. i'm sort of opposed to them. for example, are With Honor punk? i don't know. but they certainly don't seem to be high school kids who people hated for their clothing. they seem like people who have/had minimum wage, hard-labour jobs, barely surviving and getting screwed, wanting a better life than the one they've got. as for kitorpse's comment on "arachy" pop-punk:

i don't know a lot about punk, i've only ever referred to myself as a punk in sarcastic imitation of other people's opinions on me (ona tangent: i like the prodigy and mindless self indulgence, and it shows in my clothing. people draw their own conclusions). anyway, i agree with you completely. i don't think anarchy has a lot to do with punk at all. anarchy now has a logo you can purchase screenprinted on t-shirts.

and evicted's comment on the punk mentality still being alive and well: Liam Howlett once said the prodigy have a punk mentailty and most of them grew up listening to punk. if the mentality defines the music, isn't the "Electronic Punk" tagline from the "Fat of the Land" era accurate? i mean, i'd never have thought of them as punk.

i feel i must apologize. i lost where i was going because i am exhausted. but i think wht IS conained in here has enough merit to be read and commented on. i apologize for the rambling.

• lolg7

lolg7

#3920805 - 13 years ago

The Vandals, Talking Heads, Television

Patti Smith?

• kitcorpse

kitcorpse

#3922097 - 13 years ago

The history of punk Fast And Bulbous.com.

• lolg7

lolg7

#3927202 - 13 years ago

well if you want to get into some history of punk, then shouldnt alot of ska bands count?

• Quinibus

Quinibus

#3927283 - 13 years ago

Ska and Patti Smith, definately.

• Evicted

Evicted

#3927309 - 13 years ago

In reply to lolg7, #43:

only 2 tone and 3rd wave ska, pre- 80's ska was just urban jamaican music.

• lolg7

lolg7

#3927393 - 13 years ago

In reply to Evicted, #45:

yeah your right dekker is definitely different than The Casualties, cause Dekker is good.

• CasbaRocker

CasbaRocker

#3929900 - 13 years ago

for present day ska/punk bands
    skankin pickle
    the toasters
    murphy's law

• rockmongrel

rockmongrel

#3931615 - 13 years ago

anybody mention Rites of Spring?

• kitcorpse

kitcorpse

#3933419 - 13 years ago

In reply to rockmongrel, #48:

One of the first emo bands and no not emo like todays crap.... decent stuff along with Ian Mackayes band after Minor Threat: Embrace.

• goatsrule

goatsrule

#3936172 - 13 years ago

Im not like a huge fan of punk , but I hate when kids act like there hardcore punk fans when the only band they know is greenday and its the new stuff and dont no anything old when greenday was about music and and not all political. I also like the Ramones and the clash