Forums > Music

Real Punk Bands

Posts (1356)

#10151500 - 11 years ago

In reply to faceforface, #1332:

People may be wrong about the origin of punk and alot of other things (though I think its better to think of them as grossly under/misinformed than morons), but punk is a word and if the majority of people say a word means a particular thing then it means that thing. Thats how language works.

So an artist is not fulfilling their "artistic duties" if they are not coming up with new genres and inventing new styles? It doesn't matter how many people find their work fascinating or inspiring? Don't you think an artist better benefits society if they provide what they are good at and people want rather than spending all their time experimenting with new styles, the vast majority of which fail horribly.

• faceforface

faceforface

#10151611 - 11 years ago

In reply to CrimsonGhost, #1336:

I'm saying punk was a specific rebellion against a specific establishment - and that the rebellion accomplished everything it set out to. The rebellion is over.

What exactly does this "social and political rebellion" and entail ?

If punk has been a social movement - what the hell has it been trying to accomplish? If the answer is nothing then it succeeded marvelously.

In reply to 09773736, #1337:

I think that mass groups of people, the masses if you will, are inherently uneducated. That's how and why they are the masses. Education denotes status above those people, and it is specifically why the dumbing down of modern higher education America is such a sin. It devalues the education of those people who are smarter "than the average bear" if you will.

If you really want this to be about language than so be it - call them punks. If your going to focus specifically on the fact that your ALLOWED to call them punks because thats how language works, fine. It doesn't mean you've unproved anything i've been saying this entire time. It just means you get to call them punks.

The point of art is to try new things. The point is not to worry about how well it is received. Art is not about sustaining oneself on a career - it's about creating things. Why only create on type of thing? I don't think art ever benefits society - art's purpose is to serve itself, and a further understanding of art is only possible through progressive learning.

#10151917 - 11 years ago

In reply to faceforface, #1338:

Actually what started this was when you said punk was dead. Something that I basically unproved with this logic: The majority of people define punk as a genre of music with some other attributes attached. Because of the way language works that makes it the definition of punk. There are bands out there that still use this musical genre and attributes and are therefor punk. Since they are still around and making punk music, punk is not dead.

I think art can benefit society since people can enjoy it, it can inspire them and increase their understanding of the world. I'm not philosopher so I don't know what artist focus on, but I think it has to do with alot more than just trying new things.

• faceforface

faceforface

#10151988 - 11 years ago

In reply to 09773736, #1339:

You're going to talk about language and not allow a single word to have two meanings? I say punk and I mean the artists who changed rock and roll forever. You say punk and you mean a bunch of kids in dirty jeans with spiky hair. Just because you're allowed to call them punks because "everyone does it" doesn't mean that punk also meant something very different and has nothing to do with those kids who try to looks just like the original. Punk means something different in prison - is their definition going to be brought into our discussion as well ?

"Trying new things" means something very different for an artist. It means leaving ones comfort zone and creating things that others don't understand and don't like. Art's only purpose is to serve itself - art does not feed the hungry, power the disenfranchised, nor protect the weak.

#10152564 - 11 years ago

In reply to faceforface, #1340:

So punk is alive in my definition of the word and dead in your definition. The prison definition is irrelevant to our discussion. I'm not going to get into a pointless argument saying your definition is wrong, but i think the most authoritative definition of a word is the one the majority of people use. I don't know if enough people subscribe to your definition for it to merit being a real alternative meaning as opposed to just personal preference. BTW, Bad Religion has flat hair, their clothes are clean and all the members but one are in their forties.

Art can be directly enjoyed by people, thats why they listen to music, and it can be indirectly used to do all of the other things. Once again, I don't want to argue about the meaning of art, but theres more to it than just serving itself.

• KullWahad

KullWahad

#10152719 - 11 years ago

I can't believe we're arguing about this again, i'm pretty sure this conversation went down like 20 pages back.

• Gumby131

Gumby131

#10152718 - 11 years ago

In reply to CasbaRocker, #1:

these are Kinda punk heavey metal but...

Bullet for My Valentine
    Five Finger Death Punch
    As I Lay Dying
    Himsa
    Silent Civilian
    Escape The Fate
    God Forbid
    Motely Crue just cuz i like them....
    Breaking Benjamin
    Linkin Park was good until their newest albumb
    Egypt Central
    August Burns Red
    Disturbed
    Kill Switch Engage
    Hatebreed
    Slipknot
    I dont care if u dont like them...I do.

• KullWahad

KullWahad

#10152730 - 11 years ago

In reply to Gumby131, #1343:

negative, none are punk. Unless you're talking about the 80's hardcore band slipknot (which i highly doubt).

• faceforface

faceforface

#10152741 - 11 years ago

In reply to KullWahad, #1342:

I told them that and no one wanted to read it.

• CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

#10152751 - 11 years ago

Face for face just wants everything to be over and never to be continued...

and Gumby, none of those are punk. Metal yes, but not punk.

• KullWahad

KullWahad

#10152762 - 11 years ago

In reply to faceforface, #1345:

its just over oppinionation, nothing is actually going to come out of this arguement (like last time) everyone is still going to hold on to their possition on the matter as truth. Take it for what it is, leave the symantics out of it.

• KullWahad

KullWahad

#10152772 - 11 years ago

In reply to CrimsonGhost, #1346:

hell i wouldn't even call some of those metal. most of it is the new breed of "rock".

• CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

#10152778 - 11 years ago

Arguing_on_the_internet.jpg

nu-metal is what I call some of those bands. I don't listen to them though so I can't say for certain

Post edited 6/25/08 10:43PM

• faceforface

faceforface

#10152798 - 11 years ago

In reply to KullWahad, #1347:

It seems all those jokes about Canadian public education weren't jokes at all.

In reply to CrimsonGhost, #1349:

so when you lose are you equally as retarded ?

you were just as involved in the debate as i was. That means you don't get to cast your elitist gaze this way - only back at yourself.

• CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

#10152817 - 11 years ago

I don't remember ever saying I wasn't retarded. Nice try though

• faceforface

faceforface

#10152835 - 11 years ago

In reply to CrimsonGhost, #1351:

Then theres no point in posting a picture thats as old as in the internet. The point of the picture is to distance yourself from those RETARDS on the internet who are arguing. But seeing as how your one of them, you really need to shut up.

• KullWahad

KullWahad

#10152838 - 11 years ago

In reply to faceforface, #1350:

It seems all those jokes about Canadian public education weren't jokes at all.

those jokes being?

• CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

#10152859 - 11 years ago

In reply to faceforface, #1352:

I'm sorry, who are you again? You seem to be delusional though...

• faceforface

faceforface

#10152881 - 11 years ago

In reply to KullWahad, #1353:

The joke is the Canadian public education.

• KullWahad

KullWahad

#10152973 - 11 years ago

hoo hoo, you're a clever one. +1 zing for y....no, nice try though.

• CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

#10153035 - 11 years ago

In reply to faceforface, #1355:

I may be a retard, but at least I don't insult everybody in threads and talk about how what they like is wrong because I have a different opinion...

• kitcorpse

kitcorpse

#10153257 - 11 years ago

why dont we all just shut up and move on with our lives. no one wants to beat a dead horse

602__image_09.jpg

• CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

#10154204 - 11 years ago

No, but I can make you eat your parents!

• tennischick

tennischick

#10155809 - 11 years ago

In reply to kitcorpse, #1358:

I couldn't have said that any better....

• faceforface

faceforface

#10174448 - 11 years ago

In reply to Quinibus1, #1361:

I would not in any way refuse McLauren's pompous ass status, but I think that his contribution to the Sex Pistols style, coming so soon after his management of the New York Dolls and his up close encounters with NYC style punk music is undeniable. There are stories in "Please Kill Me" where members of the Sex Pistols encounters NYC punk bands and thought they were real thugs and criminals who might actually try to start a fight. I don't think that at the time, the members of the Pistols understood NYC punk music. It was primarily based around pain and drug use, it was the British interpretation of this which became about anger.