Forums > Music

Interpol

Posts (12)

• caboose192

caboose192

#4579805 - 13 years ago

Has to be one of the best indie rock bands ever, I'm surprised there's not already a thread for them. In my opinion their first album, Turn On The Bright Lights, was better than Antics, but hey, thats just me. Please only put relevant stuff in this thread. Post away...

• nickles

nickles

#4583544 - 13 years ago

I like Interpol a lot. They're somewhere in my top ten bands or so. Antics was good, but I agree that Turn On the Bright Lights was better. There's just so much mystery and darkness in their music, and the first album I thought captured that better, though they do sound a lot more confident in Antics.

My three favorite songs by them are "Say Hello to the Angels," "Evil," and "PDA."

Also, to anyone who is not familiar with them, their site features all of their music videos, which are all pretty cool (the video for "Evil" is fucking great).

• caboose192

caboose192

#4592611 - 13 years ago

Yeah, "Evil" has to be their best video.

• Zodrak

Zodrak

#5147637 - 13 years ago

They came out to Australia last year, but they only played a few shows and these sold out mega fast. I'm so bummed I didn't see them live as I haven't heard an Interpol song I didn't like yet.

• RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

#5150824 - 13 years ago

One of the best indie rock bands EVER?

Either you really love Interpol, or you don't know your Indie rock too thoroughly.

Though I can respect them as a fairly good band, it didn't take long for me to get sick of them. Antics is a pretty solid album, but was sort of forced down our throats by every major music magazine on the take from the record industry. They're good, but marketing did wonders for their career.

• Black_Label

Black_Label

#5151024 - 13 years ago

In reply to RaoulDuke, #5:

They are indie? I thought if you were on MTV that auto un-declared you're "Indie" status?

• nickles

nickles

#5151094 - 13 years ago

In reply to Black_Label, #6:

There are always a few bands who have some mainstream exposure but are still considered "indie." The problem with indie is that it's a genre that isn't defined by sound and style as much as production and exposure. Modest Mouse was considered indie at a time (some still do I guess). Same with Franz Ferdinand. I don't really care if a band has some mainstream exposure as long as they're good and they don't drastically change what they do because of the exposure.

Returning to the topic of Interpol though, latest news from their site.

Hello everyone. Seeing that the website has lain furlough for a while, we felt that we owed you an update. And we’d imagine that in the absence of official emissions misinformation is rampant. So here it is:
    Things are good. Gettin’ some rest... gettin' some sun. We did break up – four times - but that’s all behind us now. Carlos got a dog. His name is Gaius. Italian greyhound – looks like Carlos. Also, I think I’m moving to Jersey City; because that’s where the action is really at. Whoever the people on MySpace are, they’re not us.
    In all seriousness, we’re hard at work on the writing of album three. We’ve been at it for six months - in case you heard we were on hiatus. We’re all very excited about it and think that you will be too. Having yet to record, we can only say that Release will come sometime next year.
    As far as the website, check back for further developments and updates. And thanks for standing by. We have you all in our hearts and little pulsating musical minds. We can't offer much of a preview at present, but I can tell you we’ve got one gem in the works entitled "The Heinrich Maneuver." And another that was called "Pawn Shop." But that's called something else now.
    Thank you for being with us. And we truly look forward to sharing with you our newest.
    - Interpol

I didn't realize things were so shaky with them for a while. Seems to have finally settled down now though.

• RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

#5151148 - 13 years ago

In reply to Black_Label, #6:

thus my supposition that he doesn't know his indie rock too well.

The term "indie rock" is losing meaning these days...Interpol does sort of have the classic indie rock sound, but they're definitely not an indie band, and haven't been for several years.

• Black_Label

Black_Label

#5151570 - 13 years ago

In reply to RaoulDuke, #8:

Okay, I was payng attention to the differnce between "band" and "rock".

• TheGreek

TheGreek

#5310073 - 12 years ago

In reply to caboose192, #1:

I have to agree about them being the best indie band ever. I also think that Turn On The Bright Lights was much better than their latest album.

• nickles

nickles

#5310397 - 12 years ago

In reply to TheGreek, #10:

Hyperbole much?

Also after looking at your music list I get the feeling that you don't know too much about indie music. It may be the best indie band you know of, but I guarantee there are better ones out there. They're good, but certainly not that good.

• nickles

nickles

#5398327 - 12 years ago

In reply to jmthornsburg, #12:

Actually it's really not. If you listen to Joy Division, you'll hear that's what Interpol's style (and vocals) are very derivative of. Another Joy Division derivative band, Editors, also has a similar vocal sound.