Forums > Music

Power Metal

Posts (232)

• GunSlinger89

GunSlinger89

#4885863 - 13 years ago

I've noticed the growth in the amount of power metal bands (ever since Rhapsody and DragonForce). I will admit that I am relatively new to the Power Metal genre. I was also wondering about some power metal band recommendations. Currently I listen to:
    Kamelot
    Sonata Arctica
    Rhapsody
    DragonForce
    Guardians of Time

• appledude212

appledude212

#4886337 - 13 years ago

Where the fuck is Iced Earth and Blind Guardian?

YOU CANNOT HAVE A POWER METAL LIST WITHOUT THEM.

• Chipper173

Chipper173

#4886538 - 13 years ago

He said he just started and was looking for recommendations.

• Ragnaviper

Ragnaviper

#4886545 - 13 years ago

In reply to appledude212, #3:

Iced Earth? What are you smoking? They're closer to thrash than anything.

Still though, anyone looking for recommendations can start here:

Helloween - classic - first three albums
    Blind Guardian - often considered the best in the genre - all albums are good
    Stratovarius - similar to Rhapsody - get Infinite and Visions
    Jag Panzer - thrashier than most, less flowery than the ones you mentioned - get Thane To The Throne
    Dream Evil - heavier than most bands in the genre - all albums are good
    Nocturnal Rites - this band has pretty much every good quality existent in power metal - Shadowland is their best
    Agent Steel - heavier PM band that reunited a few years ago - Omega Conspiracy is their best
    Manticora - darker, heavier stuff with some surprisingly good guitar work - 8 Deadly Sins is probably their most accessible
    Fireaxe - not the best introduction to the genre but still worth mention - pick up Lovecraftian Nightmares if you find it, it's pretty cheap
    Wintersun - the vocalist has a different style than most other PM bands, but the music's just solid PM
    Gamma Ray - Kai Hansen's (of Helloween) band - musically similar to Helloween's first album - get Powerplant
    Iron Savior - similar to Gamma Ray - get Unification or Condition Red
    Lost Horizon - not my thing but you'll probably like them given your tastes - Awakening the World is their best
    Grave Digger - speed metal gods - get Rheingold, The Grave Digger, and Excalibur
    Pyramaze - similar to Manticora but not as dark - Legend of the Bonecarver is their most accessible, but Melancholy Beast is better imo

It's an old list I made for a friend a while ago.

For thrashier stuff (like Iced Earth), check out Metal Church, Meliah Rage, A Lower Deep, Flotsam and Jetsam (mainly their first album), Nevermore (a bit on the groove side but close enough), and Sorceror.

• Not1337

Not1337

#4886555 - 13 years ago

Dream Theater is power/prog.

BTW, click me.

This will be your new bible. (click me too!)

• HumperFi

HumperFi

#4886712 - 13 years ago

In reply to Ragnaviper, #5:

Never heard of Fireaxe...but the rest of the bands mentioned are great. Imo, Wintersun is one of the best musically. Nocturnal Rites has some very catchy tunes and the vocalist is just awesome (powerful voice). Jag Panzer is also another great band.

• atwa320

atwa320

#4886754 - 13 years ago

Metal Archives is God's gift to metalheads.

Check there for all the power metal you can handle

• HumperFi

HumperFi

#4886815 - 13 years ago

Yeah its a great site! Also MetalStorm is another excellent site.

I'll throw in some recommendations:

Thy Majestie - Similar to Rhapsody, but imo, much more enjoyable to listen to. Somewhat hard to find, but if you find it...get Hastings 1066. Their best work. Ive listened to that album a lot!
    Human Fortress - Lords of Earth and Heaven's Heir. Great album, somewhat unique imo.
    Masterplan - Great vocals and guitar work...pure awesomeness. Their second album, Aeronautics, is better.
    Beyond Twilight - More prog metal, but its unique and great. They just released a new album, havent heard it yet, but their second and first albums are great.

Thats all for now smiley0.gif

• Ragnaviper

Ragnaviper

#4886901 - 13 years ago

In reply to HumperFi, #7:

Fireaxe is the definition of inaccessibility. There are lots of extra cheezy segments (augmented by the vocals) and he uses a drum machine, but there's a lot of quality to it if you're up to it. The guitarwork is pretty fucking fantastic without being overly wanky and the riffs are high quality.

If I remember correctly, his stuff is pretty highly regarded in the underground. Even by the black metal hordes.

• atwa320

atwa320

#4886933 - 13 years ago

In reply to appledude212, #3:

You mention those two bands yet fail to mention Demons & Wizards?

At the very least, the first album is essential for any collection.

• HumperFi

HumperFi

#4886952 - 13 years ago

In reply to Ragnaviper, #11:

Maybe I'll check it out.

• GunSlinger89

GunSlinger89

#4888447 - 13 years ago

This thread is definately going to be sick. There's my off topic post of the night.

• Cyrus_Ramses

Cyrus_Ramses

#4889330 - 13 years ago

wtf? Iced Earth is most definitely power metal.

Also, OP, stay the fuck away from Dragonforce. It is made of gay and speed. And songs that are all the same.

• Whedabra

Whedabra

#4890066 - 13 years ago

Finally a good list of bands......perhpas I can fill in some gaps in my CD collection now smiley1.gif .

• Ragnaviper

Ragnaviper

#4890143 - 13 years ago

In reply to Cyrus_Ramses, #15:

No, they're most certainly thrash. I've discussed this several times so lets not bring it up again.

• appledude212

appledude212

#4890145 - 13 years ago

*bitch slaps*

Iced Earth has Power Metal influence. That counts for something.

• Ragnaviper

Ragnaviper

#4890167 - 13 years ago

In reply to appledude212, #20:

Influence counts for shit and you know it. I can think of plenty power metal bands who cite Bathory and Emperor as an influence, but that doesn't make them black metal. They only thing that ever made them power metal at all was Matt Barlow. Tim Owens is more of a heavy metal singer so now Iced Earth are closer to basic, uninspired thrash that likes to follow storylines and themes.

• appledude212

appledude212

#4890234 - 13 years ago

In reply to Ragnaviper, #21:

Metal Archives sites them as Power/Thrash

Besides, they had a power-sound when they had Matt Barlow. That HAS to count for something

Post edited 6/28/06 8:23AM

• Ragnaviper

Ragnaviper

#4890310 - 13 years ago

Exactly. If you knew better, you would realize that most power/thrash (like Iced Earth and Metal Church) is much closer to thrash than power and it's vastly more accurate to deem a power/thrash band thrash than power. The only thing that's "power" about most power/thrash bands are the vocalists. There are exceptions of course, like with Meliah Rage, but Iced Earth isn't one of them.

Even then, Barlow isn't in the band anymore so it doesn't really matter considering I'm only speaking of bands that are currently power metal.

• Master_Moron

Master_Moron

#4891381 - 13 years ago

Power Metal > Other Metal

• tmoneynyy

tmoneynyy

#4891632 - 13 years ago

Dude, what about Exodus? They're still around and they're latest album kicked some A$$ (That would be Shovel Headed Kill Machine)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Master_Moron

Master_Moron

#4891644 - 13 years ago

In reply to R3dTeamGo, #25:

Meh, Black is good, but Power is the best IMO.

• tmoneynyy

tmoneynyy

#4891669 - 13 years ago

I think all Metal is pretty good (except hair metal isn't as good as it's hyped up to be. I find some of it good, BUT NOTHING BEATS NELSON.................... I mean.............. what?). Can't forget about Motorhead, they made their own kind of metal: Punk-Metal (much more Metal than Punk, though).

• Master_Moron

Master_Moron

#4891700 - 13 years ago

...Nelson...

*cringe*

• tmoneynyy

tmoneynyy

#4891743 - 13 years ago

In reply to Master_Moron, #29:

My point exactly.