Forums > Music

Power Metal

Posts (232)

• GunSlinger89

GunSlinger89

#5057470 - 13 years ago

In reply to bluetard91, #223:

That's what I was thinking too, and Iced Earth.

• DemoncF

DemoncF

#5058393 - 13 years ago

In reply to GunSlinger89, #226:

I still have hope for IE.

Horror Show was as good as any of their other albums... they've really only had one bad one.

Unless their next album is as bad as tGB we can't claim they've gone to shit.

It may have just been one shitty album. Which is believable, it was an album that Schaffer had always wanted to do with a little risky a concept, and it was a transition into a new vocalist. Neither of those went too well, and we were left with shit. Owens might find his place though on the next album.

hopefully.

• Ragnaviper

Ragnaviper

#5058714 - 13 years ago

Pantera was glam and then they changed to a thrash/groove band upon Cowboys From Hell, adding more groove with each new album. [/story]

As for the first power metal band, I have no idea really and it's probably a highly debated subject anyway. Among the first are bands like Fates Warning, Helloween, etc. Iron Maiden only put out a few albums that I'd call power metal (most of theirs are traditional/nwobhm albums). However, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is an absolutely 100% essential power/prog album.

As for which Helloween album to get, any of the first three are worthwhile. Keeper of The Seven Keys Pt. II is best for straight up power metal and Walls of Jericho is best for straight up speed metal. Personally, I prefer Walls of Jericho. I'd avoid pretty much any greatest hits album personally (though Edge of Sanity's possibly upcoming greatest hits will be worth looking into).

Most of what I've heard from Persuader is decent, though their new album is too derivative I think.

• Ragnaviper

Ragnaviper

#5058751 - 13 years ago

In reply to Cloud, #229:

Well, there was a very thin line between prog and power back when Fates Warning were in their prime (John Arch-era), but fair enough.

• bluetard91

bluetard91

#5059138 - 13 years ago

What is everyones current thoughts about dragon force.

I think theyre first two albums were good, but it was more like AAA LOOK AT US MASTERBATE with our guitars.

And now its more, look at us masturbate with our guitars and actually write amazing songs.

• DemoncF

DemoncF

#5059216 - 13 years ago

hrmmm... I dunno, it all sounds the same to me. Plus, I get tired of their style after one runthrough of Through the Fire and the Flames.

Decent, but way overrated imo.

How have they gained so much popularity with like Nu-metal kids and such anyway? The Myspace endorsement?

• appledude212

appledude212

#5059840 - 13 years ago

In reply to DemoncF, #232:

How have they gained so much popularity with like Nu-metal kids and such anyway? The Myspace endorsement?

Because they now know of a band that isn't Nu-Metal shit and think they're cool because they listen to a Power Metal band inbetween Slipknot and Korn.

• bluetard91

bluetard91

#5059857 - 13 years ago

In reply to appledude212, #233:

Quite true.

Man theyre gettin big

• GunSlinger89

GunSlinger89

#5060316 - 13 years ago

In reply to bluetard91, #234:

Yeah they definately are. Almost all of my friends listen to them. The ones who I would've last suspected to actually listen to metal, let alone power metal.

• DemoncF

DemoncF

#5060834 - 13 years ago

It kind of pisses me off actually...

I don't think they're at all worthy of that kind of attention and popularity... =/

• appledude212

appledude212

#5061119 - 13 years ago

In reply to DemoncF, #236:

No metal band should get that kind of attention and popularity.

Mainly because that's when "sell-outs" are born.

• bluetard91

bluetard91

#5061254 - 13 years ago

Hope they dont, i hope they dont

• Cyrus_Ramses

Cyrus_Ramses

#5061925 - 13 years ago

In reply to DemoncF, #236:

They really aren't. The guy who mentioned "AAA LOOK AT US MASTURBATE WITH OUR GUITARS" is damn right. They're like, "HAY GUYZ WE CAN PLAY FAST ARE WE COOL YET?" and all their songs sound the same.

Like we say on 4chan. This is Dragonforce. It is made of gay and speed.

• GunSlinger89

GunSlinger89

#5069163 - 13 years ago

In reply to appledude212, #237:

Oh god... You're so correct too.

• MySpace_Tom

MySpace_Tom

#5072562 - 13 years ago

I'm pretty pissed about Dragonforce beiung pusjed so hard by Roadrunner now. Before they signed, they were only popular among ppl who have also heard of kamelot and savage circus. Now they are mainstream on MTV, GaySpace, and the like.. It sucks cuz now I cant go out and talk about Dragonforce like ppl saying" Hey, you like draginfurce? I love them. DO you watch Heedbungers Bawl??!1!/.!"

• GunSlinger89

GunSlinger89

#5072646 - 13 years ago

In reply to MySpace_Tom, #241:

Haha. You're so right too. People just listen to it cause it's now mainstream power metal and EVERYONE nowadays is like "ZOMG! LOOK AT HERMAN LI PLAY HE'S GOD!!11!!11!one!11!!!1"

• MySpace_Tom

MySpace_Tom

#5072662 - 13 years ago

No. The dragonforce guitarists really just have speed and you cant tell if they actually play good cuz their guitars are all distorted and shit.
    Matt Wilcock>>>>>Herman Li

• bluetard91

bluetard91

#5072865 - 13 years ago

Regardless of what you guys say, i still think that they have alot of talent, play technical stuff, have an amazing drummer and keyboardist ect.

• GunSlinger89

GunSlinger89

#5072910 - 13 years ago

In reply to bluetard91, #244:

I definately agree with you. I'm not trying to bash DragonForce and say they suck or anything. They're awesome, one of my favorite, but the fact of the matter is you cannot talk to anyone without them listening to DragonForce. Unless they suck and like Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, or some other shit like that.

• bluetard91

bluetard91

#5073676 - 13 years ago

I think the main reason that theyve become so popular is because without knowing in the begenning they made a new branch of power metal. More breakthough.

• GunSlinger89

GunSlinger89

#5073719 - 13 years ago

In reply to bluetard91, #246:

Makes sense. I'm not gonna say it's like "pop power metal". But it really is popular power metal - only popular because people know them so well, and so many are fans.

• MySpace_Tom

MySpace_Tom

#5080116 - 13 years ago

I'm not saying DragonForce sucks or anything. I'm just saying that I was a fan long before they got popular and then MTV and MySpic starting endorsing their shit since they signed to roadrunner and rushed Rampage to come out. Yeah, I said it. It sounded rushed.

As far as Ozzfest, I"m never going cuz since I was old enough to go, its been mostly trash.
    Hell, even Gigantour isnt looking good this year. Opeth and Overkill are about the only ones going for.

• GunSlinger89

GunSlinger89

#5080405 - 13 years ago

In reply to MySpace_Tom, #249:

I will admit that I started listening to DragonForce when my friend told me about Sonic Firestorm, and then I listened to Inhuman Rampage. In terms of Inhuman Rampage, I can't say whether or not it was rushed (as I do not know).

• bluetard91

bluetard91

#5080442 - 13 years ago

How did it sound rushed?

I feel like they are actally writing songs now, and they actually used different elements than incredibly fast power chords.

• GunSlinger89

GunSlinger89

#5080489 - 13 years ago

In reply to bluetard91, #251:

and they actually used different elements than incredibly fast power chords.

Can't argue with that.