Forums > Music

Kyuss, desert rock at it's finest

Posts (12)

• DondeBiscuts

DondeBiscuts

#4991913 - 13 years ago

Why is there no Kyuss thread? Kyuss is probably one of, if not the most influential bands in the stoner rock movement, Kyuss launched the careers of Brant Bjork, Scott Reeder, John Garcia, Nick Oliveri, Alfredo Hernandez, and most notably Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age. Kyuss always maintained a roster of talented musicians, and only released music that fit their artistic vision. Any thoughts? Comments? Fav albums? how about your favorite band that was formed by a kyuss Member?
    My personal favorites are, Welcome to Sky Valley the album, Un Sandpiper the song, and the best band that a member formed I think is Hermano

• RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

#4992116 - 13 years ago

I'm a big fan of these guys...though more musically than lyrically. In fact, I think I'd like them even more if they stuck with instrumentals. Welcome To Sky Valley is a good example...musically, it's an extremely compelling album, but the lyrics are just silly. Though, "Thong Song" off of "Blues For The Red Sun" is pretty damn good lyrically. But still, that doesn't stop me from digging this band big time.

Hermano's pretty cool, though I like Homme's projects better. QOTSA and Eagles of Death Metal are two fantastic bands in their own right, and still channel that sun-charred rock that Kyuss pioneered.

Also, Homme's "Desert Sessions" albums are truly spectacular.

• DondeBiscuts

DondeBiscuts

#4993467 - 13 years ago

Eagles of death metal are definatly worth checking out, Have you heard any mondo generator

• RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

#4993538 - 13 years ago

In reply to DondeBiscuts, #3:

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan. Oliveri's a good bassist, but he's not a good enough musician to pull off a solo project of his own.

• nickles

nickles

#4994631 - 13 years ago

Being a huge QOTSA fan (before I knew who Kyuss was), I listened to a few samples of their stuff, and I wasn't too impressed overall. I was really digging the instrumental aspect of it, but I really just couldn't get past the vocals. I much prefer Homme's voice over Garcia's.

Also, Eagles of Death Metal are good (though I don't like Death By Sexy nearly as much as Peace, Love, Death Metal), and from what I have of the Desert Sessions (7-10) I love it. Really fantastic stuff.

• DondeBiscuts

DondeBiscuts

#4996802 - 13 years ago

I like homme's voice but I can't beleive you guys are knocking Garcia's stuff, I love his voice. any ways QOTSA is a good band but I maintain that the best kyuss spinoffs haven't realy hit the mainstream, some like Slo burn didnt even last an entire album, The absalute best, I think, is Brant Bjork's solo albums they are very smooth relaxing grooves with very apparent kyuss overtones.

• soapyNinja

soapyNinja

#11005958 - 10 years ago

In reply to plzjustdie, #7:

Fuck yeah! Demon Cleaner is Kyuss at their best.

Does anyone know of any other notable desert rock bands? QOTSA and Desert Sessions aside.

• Donut7

Donut7

#11047691 - 10 years ago

No but "stoner metal" is pretty close like crowbar, corrosion of conformity, Down, bongzilla, and a ton others

• soapyNinja

soapyNinja

#11049323 - 10 years ago

In reply to Donut7, #9:

Stoner Metal owns, I was just wondering if there were any other bands that fit in more with QOTSA and Dessert Sessions.

CoC is more crossover than stoner metal though.

If you're in to Bongzilla you should check out Roanoke, they're a local band from Portland, the two bands sound a lot alike

• Donut7

Donut7

#11052045 - 10 years ago

i know it hard to categorize all of these but i will give them a listen do you know where

• soapyNinja

soapyNinja

#11056417 - 10 years ago

just search Roanoke on myspace, I don''t know anywhere else to get their music

• grif_fiend

grif_fiend

#11078216 - 10 years ago

Hola! I think I've found my favorite forum page , you guys should google a band called DERN RUTLIDGE . They're a fucking rad group from over here Australia.

Catamaran is my favorite Friday afternoon tune to chill to and El Rodeo is my Thursday weekend primer tune.

All heil Kyuss!