Forums > Music

Use of Rap music on Red vs Blue

Posts (68)

• MissingLink1

MissingLink1 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#15229622 - 7 years ago

Does anyone else find it off putting?

I appreciate that the lyrics are often relevant but I can't help but feel it distracts from the scene being shown. With its use in the new episode and also the trailer, it appears that it will be ever present during this season but I preferred the guitar driven instrumentals that really set the tone for RvB in the past.

It felt so bizarre when it was used in the falling scene last season and detracted from/ruined it a bit for me.

I know it's probably likely that a lot of you enjoy the implementation of it but does anyone else share my feelings on this?

(sorry if this is a duplicate post but couldn't find an original)

• ChevyCobb

ChevyCobb FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#15229829 - 7 years ago

I have no problem with it. Its good to have variations. You can find someone who would say the same thing about any genre of music being used. A scene like that without music can, at times, be bland. The fast pace animation can sometimes need a fast paced music to match it. If you are referring to the trailer...well..it was just that...a trailer.

• ArrwCatchr

ArrwCatchr

#15230158 - 7 years ago

In reply to MissingLink1, #1:

You're not alone! I completely agree about both the opening song this season and the falling scene from last season. They seem out of place for Red vs Blue.

In reply to ChevyCobb, #2:

Its good to have variations ... A scene like that without music can, at times, be bland. The fast pace animation can sometimes need a fast paced music to match it.

The problem is the vocals. This One Goes To 11 had a great musical score that perfectly matched the pace and the tone of the fight and the action sequence. Music should enhance the scene it's in, but for me the song at the start of this new season completely detracted from it.

• Infernalic

Infernalic

#15230184 - 7 years ago

I agree that it felt out of place on the Season 10 opening, but are you kidding me? Falling Towards The Sky felt absolutely perfect for the scene it was used in!

Basically, I have no problem with rap being used, as long as we still have the more instrumental or even orchestral songs, such as the music used in the Ice Fight in Season 8...

• JMKilthau

JMKilthau FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Something Need Doing?

#15230222 - 7 years ago

I don't mind it, you know the songs I really didn't like were the ones with the screeching singer on the Season 9 CD... I do miss Trocadero though. Bring them back!

• BleedingUranium

BleedingUranium I honestly don't care.

#15230267 - 7 years ago

I fully agree

Rap, stay the **** out of my RvB!

• OptimusP

OptimusP

#15230286 - 7 years ago

In reply to Hackett, #9:

Posting on the site or not means nothing. If every viewer came here it would not be sustainable.

I like the rap.. I think it gets the freelancer scene pretty well. They bond so well as a family unit its easy to forget how calmly they kill people.

Post edited 5/29/12 2:54AM

• Twismyer

Twismyer

#15230319 - 7 years ago

The only time where the music has actually felt more detached from the scene rather than harmonizing with it has only been with the season 10 opening. Falling Towards the Sky fell in naturally with the scene it was placed with.

• MikeSixer

MikeSixer

#15230347 - 7 years ago

The Music is fine...I just wish they would get rid of the lyrics...Makes it more epic.

• seirra259

seirra259

#15230382 - 7 years ago

I agree the rap didn't exactly fit too well. Especially as a musical score, the rap just distracts everything.

I generally don't like songs that have words in them unless they are:

a) In another language (especially Latin. love Latin.)
    b) there is an equal balance of words and instrumentals. ie, the lyrics are just as audible as the instrumentals.
    c) the lyrics are indistinguishable unless you really concentrate when listening.

• Suffy

Suffy

#15230398 - 7 years ago

music is always a question of taste.no matter which else music they took someone would have been complaning.
    personally i also dont like it.but i ignore it and am happy about the new season.think that matters more than the stupid music

• JMKilthau

JMKilthau FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Something Need Doing?

#15230403 - 7 years ago

In reply to Suffy, #15:

Agreed, with the whole "show matters more than the music" idea. I personally don't really notice the music, I know its there, and it's playing, but I get more focused on whats actually going on to really pay attention to it.

• MasterEcho

MasterEcho

#15230449 - 7 years ago

I like the music, but I'm not too fond of the vocals. Some of the songs work, others feels out of place.

• InUranus

InUranus

#15230501 - 7 years ago

Freelancers get rap music. The FP parts are totally separate, with a different style than traditional RvB, so it fits great

• AWebsiteTrol

AWebsiteTrol

#15230599 - 7 years ago

I'm not overly keen on it. But it may grow on me, so I don't think I can make a conclusive opinion as of right now.

• Jarrgon_II

Jarrgon_II

#15230694 - 7 years ago

I don't mind it to be honest. Sometimes I think it sets a bit more of a powerful tone than score without lyrics, something about it feels a bit faster and a bit more on edge. I quite like the way that RvB uses it.

However I did feel it was a bit out of place for the opening episode, it felt like a queue for a big action set piece and then I was let down.

• ONI_Spartan

ONI_Spartan

#15230813 - 7 years ago

Guitar sets the speed for the slow paced stuff, the rap sets the pace for the fast paced. I normally hate rap music but I find RVB rap legit.

• NatetheRayven

NatetheRayven

#15230872 - 7 years ago

The rap music they used fit in well. Red Vs Blue is a show that is constantly evolving and with evolution there has to be additions to areas to enhance the quality. That is the reason why Red vs Blue has lasted for so long in the first place. They have a good formula and i I doubt using one or two rap songs is going to destroy their empire.
    The freelancers are a group of A$$ kicking machines, as their music goes you sometimes need to go all out to find the right sound for them.
    The Blood Gulch crew are a comedic bunch of regular dudes that get the funny and sometimes serious music when the situations are necessary. This formula has success written all over it for me.

• Kaoru27Umi

Kaoru27Umi Princess of Mars

#15230886 - 7 years ago

I think it fits great, it gives it that hard urban edge along with the freelancers and their line or work and jobs, you know? it enhances the visual experience! smiley1.gif

• Chad

Chad

#15230916 - 7 years ago

The rapping is really the only complaints about the entire series for the last 2 seasons.

I can't stand rap.

• fencpost8

fencpost8 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#15230929 - 7 years ago

I feel the rapping fits in for the times they use it

• Tgjanlee

Tgjanlee Strife!

#15231245 - 7 years ago

Considering the introductions of a new art style (the cgi), a new music style seems fitting to go along with those scenes. The new music is meaningful and flows very well with the action on screen.

• Jarrgon_II

Jarrgon_II

#15231268 - 7 years ago

In reply to Tgjanlee, #28:

Like I've said I quite enjoy the rap however I would argue that it didn't flow well this episode. It went really well up until he got sucked in to space at that point it felt really incongruous to me.

• ChevyCobb

ChevyCobb FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#15231391 - 7 years ago

I'm curious to know what about the "rap" that people don't like compared to other genres. Is it that there are lyrics in general, or is it because some are classifying it as rap?

As far as the song in the first episode, I think we will see this scene again, and it will fit in at that point.

• JMKilthau

#15231445 - 7 years ago

In reply to ChevyCobb, #30:

I was actually thinking the same thing, like it will come back into play and then as the music goes there will be an actual scene to go with it. But it's sort of a teaser of what's to come.