Forums > Music

Use of Rap music on Red vs Blue

Posts (68)

• GalakFyarr

GalakFyarr FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#15250789 - 7 years ago

In reply to Arkham8, #56:

Did you read ANY of the arguments made?

Sorry if the odd "joskyMT" puts in his useless 2 cents of "I hate rap", but there are people making reasonable arguments why rap isn't fitting in the scenes.

I don't hate rap. I just think it doesn't fit the action on screen. instrumental pieces tend to work better (in my opinion), because the rhythm of the music can be fitted to the rhythm of the action (or other way around). Vocals can still be added.

As reference, take the scene of Season 9, Episode 10 with Tex beating up Wyoming and Maine. 3 tracks were used there (although if you downloaded the soundtrack, you'll know they cut in the tracks, and even combined 2. It works perfectly, the lyrics are relevant to what's happening and the rhythm is fitting the action on screen.

The song is called "On Your Knees", and if you have the soundtrack, you'll also know there is a rap bridge in it. While it works very well for the song itself, I'm very glad they cut "On Your Knees" before the rap part, because it wouldn't have fit any of the action. At. All.

Post edited 6/09/12 12:43PM

• Mattyoc

Mattyoc

#15252704 - 7 years ago

I'm really enjoying all the music Jeff Williams has produced. The rapping by Lamar Smith has been fitting in ever place it's been. Punchy delivery over the the savage guitar riffs and jamming drum and bass! Love it. Rooftop free-fall was one of the best scenes of RvB animation to date to me, and the "Falling Toward The Sky" only served to make it a more intense and awesome scene. Lamar is awesome!

I can appreciate people not liking rap, but I think its presence in RvB has been perfect!

• RTZachGuy00

RTZachGuy00

#15253239 - 7 years ago

I agree. Not because it's rap specifically, but because, like somebody said, the vocals are as audible as the music. Action scenes and lyrical pieces don't fit very well, because there's noise coming from the scene and noise coming from the background. It doesn't balance well unless you mute the noises coming from the video. I can't stand hearing "and if you fuck with Tex" mixed with "pew pew pew pew" and "advantage Texas".

• ArrwCatchr

ArrwCatchr

#15253328 - 7 years ago

I generally dislike lyrics overlapping dialogue. The dialogue isn't much of an issue in action base sequences because it's more focused on the action. But i've found the lyrics are still distracting from the scene they're supposed to compliment. Both Falling From the Sky and the songs used in both episode 1 and 2 of season 10 took me out of the episode. They all had a negative impact on the scene for me. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking rap as a genre, but how well the music compliments the scene. I like some rap, I dislike some rap, just like most genres of music. But for me, the music has gone from complimenting and improving the series to distracting and hurting the series.

It is a personal judgment however, and no one is really "wrong" about the music in RvB these days. You either like it or you dont, and I don't seem to like it as much.

Post edited 6/10/12 10:27PM

• Pokedude3000

Pokedude3000

#15254385 - 7 years ago

I'm actually a huge fan of rap (I listen to Eminem, Jay-z, Dr. Dre & now Lamar Hall) and I think Falling Towards the Sky and On Your Knees were very well placed, were very good songs and I know all the raps but ( In reply to Jarrgon_II, #29: ) I agree with you because the song ( I apologize, I don't know the name) was completely misplaced and you couldnt even hear it over York and the space vacuum.

• MrWunderbar

MrWunderbar FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold What's a display title?

#15257368 - 7 years ago

I didn't think the rap was that good (I'm not really one to talk, I couldn't rap if my life depended on it), but I guess its a matter of taste. If I had my way there wouldn't be any lyrics at all.

• Cromazoneable

Cromazoneable

#15257666 - 7 years ago

I find that the addition of 'Falling towards the sky' in the jump scene of Season 9 only made the episode more incredible and just gets me so hyped up every time I watch it
    Personally, I think Jeff Williams and Lamar Hall do good jobs with their rap collabs

• JoskyMT

JoskyMT

#15257947 - 7 years ago

In reply to GalakFyarr, #58:

In reply to Arkham8, #56:

Did you read ANY of the arguments made?

Sorry if the odd "joskyMT" puts in his useless 2 cents of "I hate rap", but there are people making reasonable arguments why rap isn't fitting in the scenes.

I don't hate rap. I just think it doesn't fit the action on screen. instrumental pieces tend to work better (in my opinion), because the rhythm of the music can be fitted to the rhythm of the action (or other way around). Vocals can still be added.

As reference, take the scene of Season 9, Episode 10 with Tex beating up Wyoming and Maine. 3 tracks were used there (although if you downloaded the soundtrack, you'll know they cut in the tracks, and even combined 2. It works perfectly, the lyrics are relevant to what's happening and the rhythm is fitting the action on screen.

The song is called "On Your Knees", and if you have the soundtrack, you'll also know there is a rap bridge in it. While it works very well for the song itself, I'm very glad they cut "On Your Knees" before the rap part, because it wouldn't have fit any of the action. At. All.

Alright, it was a short post and I had very little time. Kiss my ass.

Okay, here's the extended version: I don't like rap. At all. Mostly because it's mostly just shitty, hateful noise, but also because it simply doesn't fit Red vs Blue. Watch the last two episodes of Season 8. The music used for the fight scenes against the Meta was more suiting for the theme.

• Mattyoc

Mattyoc

#15258072 - 7 years ago

In reply to GalakFyarr, #58:

Dude doesn't like rap, he doesn't rap. Simple as. I number of us here have expressed the opposite opinion, and done it how we want, he did the same. Lay off the dude. Just mod the comment and leave it at that sure. Be grand :)

• Dikkgozinya

Dikkgozinya

#15261926 - 7 years ago

Don't know why they had to drop so many f-bombs though, it doesn't make it anymore cooler...it actually started to make it less so

• EspadaC

EspadaC

#15262559 - 7 years ago

I don't understand why people were so off put with the Music. Hell I've turned Most of the music from Season 9 and The More into workout music. It's awesome! Though I've noticed most people complained about the more saying it made no sense or it was completely pointless. Not true it actually perfectly represents the shit the bloodgulch crew and the freelancers have gone through and now in this season they're fighting back. I personally love it.

• cinnamonNO

cinnamonNO

#15266366 - 7 years ago

I dont like rap but lamar hall does an amazing job

• Mindless2164

Mindless2164

#15267340 - 7 years ago

As long as there never are any rap songs playing during a fight scene with the Blood Gulch crew, I don't mind. It helps set a tone for the Freelancer scenes.

If the Freelancers eventually team up with the Reds and Blues during this season and have a fight with the Director, it would be a cool change of pace to have them fighting with the classic guitar music we know from the Bloodgulch guys.

Post edited 6/19/12 6:54AM

• Tactical_Leo

Tactical_Leo

#15269595 - 7 years ago

I personally don't have a problem with the rap. But if it had sexual lyrics like EVERY song had these days then I'll start complaining. If I wanna hear a stupid song I'll listen to Justin Bieber or Nicki Managi or how ever you spell that girls name...

• RTZachGuy00

RTZachGuy00

#15718397 - 6 years ago

In reply to D00ughBoy, #72:

H...how did you find this?

• ONI_Spartan

ONI_Spartan

#15718994 - 6 years ago

In reply to RTZachGuy00, #73:

Indeed

• RTZachGuy00

RTZachGuy00

#15720515 - 6 years ago

In reply to Jake, #75:

Well, for one thing: it was 3 pages back.

• MissingLink1

MissingLink1 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#15731899 - 6 years ago

Who the hell made this thread anyway?!... oh wait...