Forums > Music

Jam Bands

Posts (14)

• Seraph_Six

Seraph_Six

#848 - 14 years ago

Got a new Jam Band you want to share?
    Got old favorites like Phish, String Cheese Incident, or The Grateful Dead?

Discuss here.

• dark54555

dark54555 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#890 - 14 years ago

In reply to Seraph_Six, #1:

john scofield...kinda more along the jazz jam line, but he's damn talented.

• peacefrog

peacefrog FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#901 - 14 years ago

The Roots

• Servo

Servo

#2994 - 14 years ago

I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a jam band, but I'll say Liquid Tension Experiment, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Gordian Knott for now.

• Jimmerz

Jimmerz

#3672 - 14 years ago

In reply to dark54555, #2:

john scofield...kinda more along the jazz jam line, but he's damn talented.

Damn skippy. The thing that impresses me is the variety of stuff he can do.

Didn't think I would like them, but I saw Phish in concert on PBS the other night. Pretty cool. I always thought they were just the band all the Deadheads found after Garcia died. Never really liked the 'Dead.

• RDM

RDM

#3680 - 14 years ago

In reply to Seraph_Six, #1:

Theyre not around anymore, but The Refreshments. I loved them. I dont know if theyre a jam band, but theyre worth discussing.

• lilspiel

lilspiel

#4096 - 14 years ago

Umphrey's McGee are a rising band that are going to be huge in the jam world.

There's a local band of guys I know who are truly talented and have a great, original sound:

Bohemian Sunrise

• BeoWulfe

BeoWulfe

#24757 - 14 years ago

Brother
    Don't really know if they qualify either, but...
    Their shows are iffy depending on how they play their songs(they're constantly changing them) but what saves it is when they start freestyle jamming, especially with any available musicians in the house(I usually end up seeing them with The Sandcarvers) then it turns freakin spiritual!

• DefineMisery

DefineMisery

#1246661 - 14 years ago

www.stateofshock.tk <my band
    www.somethingtofightfor.com <band we played with last night

• the_ghost

the_ghost

#2508019 - 13 years ago

Moe., Leftover Salmon.

• nofxmn1

nofxmn1

#2508496 - 13 years ago

john scofield a lot of talent there!

• RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

#2537309 - 13 years ago

Sco rules...and he's the nicest guy in the world. I was lucky enough to get to have a fairly long conversation with him when he came to play at my alma mater three or four years ago. Absolutely one of the most friendly, unassuming, appreciative musicians I've ever met.

And he can fuckin' jam.

I was once lucky enough to see MMW, Sco, Soulive, Galactic & DJ Logic jam together at a show in NY several years back. One word...jamgasmic.

• mikoumi

mikoumi

#2537957 - 13 years ago

What is a jam band exactly?

• RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

#2538032 - 13 years ago

A band categorized by extended prog-rock/jazz influenced instrumental jams (20+ minutes) during songs.

Best examples: Phish, Moe, Umphrey's McGee, The Disco Biscuits.