Forums > Music

The Gear Discussion Thread

Posts (5295)

• Attitude13

Attitude13 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Boots

#17613564 - 4 years ago

In reply to TheJamesP, #5292:

You checked out the Yamaha THRs? I'm surrounded by them as almost everyone I know has one, or two plus one for the tour bus haha!

I've got one as my practise/demo rig for my apartment which I live in 95% of the time now, the VCM "feels" real, which is odd, but nice.

Check out a guy called "Sithu Aye" if you don't know him, all his albums so far were done all with free amp sims/vsts etc. Think the post pro is maybe paid stuff, like waves and such. Think he used the LePou amp sims (which ROCK) and the Two notes WOS.

Yeah I find for that kind of stuff, a goosed Tube screamer/OD is the only way to get it to do the metal thing!

Y'know, I'm the same haha, same boat too! A Vox/marshally rig is my go to guitar stuff, thankfully, I very rarely need to play guitar live, so they can live in a studio, haha! I'm weird though, I like mid/low gainy tones most of the time. All my rhythm tracks are usually gain cranked though, for a nice compressed rhythm tone (yeah, I'm a weird) Been using a jet City which I love, as I adore the Soldano amps, and it's scarily close at times.

There is the BIAS/Positive Grid stuff too, worth checking out, all stuff you may want to play with before sinking a 4 figure some is all I'm trying to say haha! Depends of course, what you're hoping to do and such :)

I'm actually demoing an album using a yamaha THR, and the free Sennheiser drum samples. Having some stress choosing the drummer for the album though... Two candidates, stress!

The Kemper community is great though, my friend has a Kemp, and it's just great, and you want any combination, someone will have it, or the parts for you to simulate it!

• TheJamesP

TheJamesP FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17613597 - 4 years ago

In reply to Attitude13, #5293:

A friend of mine had a THR actually, great little amp. Still not enough gain for my liking though. It's rare that I go really high gain in my overdrive, but I like to have it there if I want it, even if it's just for creating cool sounds to sample in other tracks. My entire plugin library is all NI and Waves, so I think I'm good on that front. Was planning on sinking some money into a tube preamp as well. Looking at the PreSonus Studio Channel, as I want something that will fit in my rack. This is kind of the plan, to get everything rack mountable so it will all sit nicely inside of my desk. I was also looking at an ENGL tube preamp, which looks to give a better tone, but doesn't have much use outside of guitars, which is pushing me towards the PreSonus.

Money isn't really an issue here, more space than anything. In the event I don't get on with something, I've always got 2 weeks to return/exchange it. ;)

I haven't seen the BIAS software up close, so I'll definitely look into it.

Whenever I'm stuck choosing between candidates, always go with my gut. Even if the other option is a marginally better musician, if you don't have the chemistry the results are never as good. That's what I've found any who, haha.

I do love a good community, that's why I'm on here! And why I'm ever more tempted by that Kemper. Like I said, 2 weeks to change my mind. smiley6.gif I'm hanging back for now though, got some pricey plugins I've had my eye on and my poor iMac is begging for that extra 16GB of RAM, hahaha. It's looking like August/September that I'll make the plunge, going to try and find somewhere doing those back-to-uni discounts. If not, Andertons seem to have consistently good pricing on the rack version.

• Attitude13

Attitude13 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Boots

#17613904 - 4 years ago

In reply to TheJamesP, #5294:

The THR10X has bags of gain, it has have a certain voice.

Depending what you're doing, you probably don't need a pre-like that. Something more simple like a 512C may fit the bill nicely, but the tube ones give you that sweet gentle compression.

Ever considered the Axe-FX?

Thanks man, appreciate the advice. Just not sure, as there are pros and cons in ever column for the two guys. The album is a solo project esque thing, and it depends on costs I guess. One drummer is a great friend of mine, and mad skilled, and would be available for any one off lives shows (though I doubt that'll happen) the other guy lives in another country, but is willing to do just as much, and has access to so much great stuff/recording facilities, plus his name would carry some weight, plus he's helped me get to this stage, so who knows, haha.

Definitely! Man I know that feeling, just need some money first... hah!

• TheJamesP

TheJamesP FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17614252 - 4 years ago

In reply to Attitude13, #5295:

I can't resist a classic tube-pre sound though. It'd be something that I'd use for loads of other applications though, so for just under £300 it's a no brainer.

Of course I've considered the Axe-FX, Steve Vai's a huge fan of it and I'm a huge fan of Steve Vai. Few places seem to stock it in the UK though, and looking at the interface, the Kemper looks like it's just be more my style, haha.

And no, thank you for the advice you've given me. And if you still can't decide between them, then I guess you'll have to go with the lowest bidder. ;)

• Attitude13

#17614470 - 4 years ago

In reply to TheJamesP, #5296:

Ah! Huge Steve Vai fan myself. I've been lucky enough to play with the man himself. Can't beat a bit of Passion and Warfare!

You have to get the Axe directly from Fractal distributors, and there isn't one in the UK as far as I know.

Ah true ;) What pre's you got in mind?

No worries bud, any time, but all the same, thank you! Haha, that's the plan... see what ends up leaving me with some money left, hah!

• TheJamesP

#17614709 - 4 years ago

In reply to Attitude13, #5297:
    I'm jealous dude! Would be lying if I said it wasn't the Halo 2 soundtrack back in 2004 that made me fall in love with Vai and the rest of his works! Haha.

And that puts me off the Axe, warranty would be a nightmare if any problems arise. I don't mind importing guitars as there's very little that could go wrong that I wouldn't be able to fix for less than £100, but this is a box full of circuitry, all soldered and integrated to the motherboard, no doubt.

The main one I'm looking at is the aforementioned PreSonus Studio Channel. I've heard very good things and it's fairly inexpensive for what you get. Going to be teaming it with the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and Behringer BCF2000 that are already in my setup. All run through Logic (Soon to be Pro Tools, as that's what I used to use and I don't know why I ever switched) on my 27" iMac with KRKs for the output.

Another thing I need to decide is whether to up the RAM of my iMac to 24GBs from the 8 it's currently got or go all out and buy that lovely new 5K Retina thing. Mine is a powerhouse, but the HDD is starting to show it's age and the whole system is 4 years old now, so that might be another investment for me when the student deals roll around! Haha.

• CrispCocoa

CrispCocoa

#32891645 - 3 years ago

I'm in the process of completely revamping a beat old ESP 7-string that I bought for like $100 at a Guitar Center a couple years back. I have a few progress pictures in an album on my page that I'll probably update sometime today, but still don't have everything I need. The repair guy at GC ruined all the electronics inside so I figured I would just fix everything I didn't like about the guitar. Building a new neck for it (Basing it on the Ibanez Wizard neck profile, with a different ESP style headstock), putting in a Floyd, new pickups, all that. So far I've got some lumber for the neck and most of the electronics. New pickguard material came in the other night that looks INCREDIBLE.

• grenou

grenou FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32929436 - 3 years ago

A couple weeks ago, I got some work done on this:

Charvel_zpsb0gxq5bx.jpg

I'm elated with how it sounds! It's been 20 years since it sounded this good!

• Attitude13

#32932306 - 3 years ago

In reply to grenou

What pickups are under the hood? :D

I want the tonez!!

• HarryGoodair

HarryGoodair Part Time Alcoholic

#32938329 - 3 years ago

Latest acquisition is my '09 MIM Telecaster.

Black, black three ply 'guard and maple neck.

First thing I did was rip out the bridge pick up and drop a 'Duncan Hot Stack in there, can't be dealing with all that 60 cycle hum. This is when I learnt about how Tele's are grounded (I haven't previously owned one) and boy is it a pain in the ass.

• jymmy

jymmy FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33250247 - 3 years ago

My guitar player just got 4 of these Texas Dragon 4x12 cabs built and delivered to us on tour by a super talented guy we met through my band. I've never heard a cabinet with as tight of a low end as these. Whatever the guys secret is, it works. I believe they are loaded with Eminence Governors. He offered to build me an 8x10 bass cab that will blow my Ampeg 8x10 away and I'm starting to believe he can. If you're in the North Texas area and want the best cabs around check this company out!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-f9OjfQDEZ6LVFhX1I5cERVZnc/view?usp=drivesdk

• Attitude13

#33252273 - 3 years ago

In reply to jymmy

Any sound clips?

Been rocking Zilla, and Barefaced cabs, and they're so monstrous, yet light.
    I do miss having an 810...

• jymmy

jymmy FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33276430 - 2 years ago

In reply to Attitude13

Nothing at the moment. We'll be back in the studio in a couple weeks and will be using them though!

• DMessmer

DMessmer

#33319600 - 2 years ago

Has anyone ever had a super lucky purchase? I've recently acquired a Fender Johnny Marr signature jaguar for £100 just because the pawn shop thought it was a replica XD

• jymmy

#33326413 - 2 years ago

In reply to DMessmer Back in 2012 I got a hold of a 1970 Ampeg V4 for 200$ I had no idea what I'd gotten my hands on at the time.

• DMessmer

DMessmer

#33328554 - 2 years ago

In reply to jymmy that is so cool haha. I love stories like these

• jymmy

#33332078 - 2 years ago

1976 Rickenbacker 4001 that I use for just about everything. I love this bass so much!

• Attitude13

#33332165 - 2 years ago

Very, very tasty!

A friend of mine, who is a jammy, jammy fellow, got an all original, mint Vox AC30 1964TB for the same price the guy who owned it paid for it in 64, £50.

Ridiculous! 

• davescotts

davescotts

#33629444 - 2 years ago

So I found an Ion guitar in somebody's trash I'll posy pics when im home but essentially its a strat copy the neck is the size as a baseball bat and the pickups touch the strings luckily the electeonocs seem to work fine. Anybody have any suggestions for a replacement neck that won't cost a fortune , also any good single coil pickup suggestions I'd like to replace them as well.