Forums > Off the beaten path

Utah anti-immigration law under fire

Posts (8)

• quazz4life

quazz4life

#30460328 - 10 years ago

Via KSL.com
    A new Utah law that is scheduled to go into effect on July 1st is about to be faced by a federal lawsuit.

Now, I'm all for immigration reform (meaning less illegals and more ways to get the ones here made into permanent citizens that contribute rather than drain the system), but this is taking things a bit too far. The Law Enforcement impact alone would require the hiring of almost twice the officers and associated staff that are currently employed. I just don't think that this is a step in the right direction. instead of dealing with the issue, they're sidestepping the issue and handing off the responsibility to the already overwhelmed state agencies.

Post edited 6/23/09 9:09PM

• SupaChurchFn

SupaChurchFn

#30460329 - 10 years ago

I feel like this would only support a lot of racially-tied immigration bias. I live in an area heavily populated by Mexican migrants and immigrants and a majority of the time if immigration is mentioned, someone throws out a racial slur or derogitory statement. Not allowing immigrants ID would just be disastrous- I can just picture some racist and some illegal getting in a car accident and the illegal not being able to provide ID. Not good.
    The whole issue of punishing people for 'harboring' immigrants is ridiculous. We are human beings. Last week I had a hispanic mother and her two children dumpster diving on my campus- she would hide from people passing and was so terrified that when I approached her to ask if she wanted food for herself and her children, she ran from me. I don't want to live in a country where that is encouraged or even acceptable.

• Tb0ne

Tb0ne

#30460330 - 10 years ago

In reply to quazz4life, #1:

The thing that sticks out is how vague the article makes everything sound. Being denied bail and not providing a solid definition of "harboring" are things to be horribly afraid of. I do think there should be more channels to attain if not full citizenship, legal residency. Honestly the illegals already in the country aren't going to go away any time soon. Simply the logistics of doing so would be a nightmare not to mention the bottom would fall out of the agriculture industry. Also even if we can't help the situation much it'd be good if Mexico weren't going to hell in a hand basket as it seemingly is. I haven't read much but it doesn't sound fun down there, if it were a better place we wouldn't have such an issue.

• SupaChurchFn

SupaChurchFn

#30460331 - 10 years ago

I was discussing this issue with a friend who is less opposed to this law than myself, and one interesting point he made was that he believes that limiting immigration here more effectively would improve the economies and countries people immigrate from (namely Mexico), and in turn the world economy. What do you guys think?

• Tb0ne

Tb0ne

#30460332 - 10 years ago

In reply to lonegirl, #4:

Honestly with Mexico, at this point I don't think it will change much. People will always chase the dream and America has the greenest grass. They have found a way to get into the country effectively around security, so I think they'll find a way to do it if we tighten things up. It might take a while and we might see a reduction, but I think it would assuredly still happen.

• SupaChurchFn

SupaChurchFn

#30460333 - 10 years ago

In reply to Tb0ne, #5:

I also feel like the people aren't the problem in that situation- it's the government. However, I know very little about the whole thing.

• quazz4life

quazz4life

#30460334 - 10 years ago

In reply to lonegirl, #4:

Another point that needs consideration is that Mexico isn't exactly a nice place to live and raise a family at this current juncture. Organized crime has made living in any city or good-sized town a nightmare with constant violence. Add to that the corrupt police and officials, and what you get is a population that is willing to do whatever it takes to go someplace that is better all around. They hear all about our immigration discussions, and still come. why? Because the grass really is greener. Even in our tough economic times, jobs are still available to those who are willing to take whatever money they can get. and what they get paid here is still leaps and bounds more than what they'd probably be getting paid in there. Basically, the only way to stop it, is to stabilize our southern neighbors to the point that people feel safe in their own homes. Without that, people will feel that coming to the U.S. is the only option they have.

• breakbread

breakbread

#30460335 - 10 years ago

Can't forget to mention that the United States has a hand in Mexico's ridiculous amounts of drug-related organised crime. Our international War on Terror (TM) has wreaked havoc on a number of countries and created a lot of unnecessary crime and violence.

Regardless, though, Mexico is a pretty shitty place and that's because they have an overtly corrupt government.