Forums > PC Gaming

ULTIMATE DOOM THREAD

Posts (46)

• MechaTails

MechaTails

#2276464 - 13 years ago

u all know about the Doom movie

• LorD_BaZ

LorD_BaZ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#2277856 - 13 years ago

Yes. We do. Anyone and there monkey knows about it, and almost everyone who does is hoping it doesn't suck hardcore. Now damn. I got the impression that this thread was about ultimate doom and discussing it. Yet I've seen doom3 and the movie and nada about doom. Come on folks, the community is still active, making some impressive maps. People still play it to this day. Can we discuss doom please?

• MechaTails

MechaTails

#2283027 - 13 years ago

uh.......more gore!!!!

• caboose_i_AM

caboose_i_AM

#2638173 - 13 years ago

if only there was one site with thousands of ultimate doom mods

i've made a few but they aren't very good

• cvsqvc

cvsqvc

#2643989 - 13 years ago

Who els thinks the originle doom games were better then the new one?
    I do.

• sgt_major

sgt_major

#2644400 - 13 years ago

ultimate doom is good, but doom 3 is ultimater.
    'is that a word?'
    'we can make it one. we have the technology.'

• sgt_major

sgt_major

#2644404 - 13 years ago

hey, i think thats the first time ive ever gotten first post on a page. just fyi.

• LorD_BaZ

LorD_BaZ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#2650297 - 13 years ago

Doom 3 was a better game, easily. Gave the fun originals better gameplay and expanded the backstory tenfold. I always found it funny when people complained that D3 didn't have a story yet then told me they skipped all the pda's, fools.

As for original doom, I still play iot because the mods are numerous and incredible to this day. Some big projects coming soon this year possibly early next year as well.

• Keybob

Keybob

#2685186 - 13 years ago

doom 3 gave me the heebie-jeebies.
    Anyway, I am working on a 32-level wad for all you peoples to enjoy, you may recognize some of my work... the eenfamous hell-spawn revolutions wad... all three of it's new levels.

Gotta love Ultimate Doom.

• Calavera

Calavera

#2688594 - 13 years ago

Wait, so is this the "Ultimate Doom" thread, or the Ultimate "Doom" thread?

Doom 3 was a different game. It had story, but some of the changes I didn't like much. The Soul Cube just felt wierd, and some of the monster changes didn't work for me. The Imp eyes were great, but more often than not, they looked grayish black along with everything else. Demons really didn't need to be partly mechanical, and Hell Knights looked like high-definition Shamblers from Quake 1 (honestly, no eyes or powerful war cry). Doom 3's horror/survival felt more like souped up Quake 1 than Doom series. It wasn't BAD, it just wasn't Doom.

Doom is about taking on legions of Hellspawn and that's about it.

Thankfully, Doom 3 was not a remake or retelling of Doom. It was simply explaining the events of Mars while the Marine in the green suit kicked ass up on Phobos and Deimos.

My biggest quirk about Doom 3...The marine outfits were totally wrong. Why the hell couldn't they just use the look from Doom/Q3A? If you're worried about looking too much like the Master Chief, just remember, the Doom marines came first. :)

• LorD_BaZ

#2689942 - 13 years ago

Hey calvera, hate to break it to you mate but it actually WAS a retelling. Original doom never happened but Doom 3 did. Resurrection of evil expands doom 3 in place of doom 2 although I wouldn't cry about it, it's not like ultimate doom had a plot to care about. Which is why Doom3's plot is damned cool, backstory and characters to be interested in.

Keybob, not familiar with your work, you hang around doomworld/newdoom forums? or elsewhere?

• Calavera

Calavera

#2701629 - 13 years ago

In reply to LorD_BaZ, #36:

Well, I'd like to say no, but you could be right, considering Quake 2 had nothing to really do with Quake 1, and like most Final Fantasy games have nothing to do with each other...

• LorD_BaZ

#2702057 - 13 years ago

Yeah that's true but the quake games were never related to each other anyway, but id outright stated that it was a retelling of the classic game using modern technology. Also keeping in mind that there was no reference to the original games at all, also phobos and deimos are really far to small to build anything on.

• Keybob

Keybob

#2740698 - 13 years ago

As far as I know, doom 3 was a remake of the original... just look at the story lines. They were changed a bit, but still technically the same.

• Calavera

Calavera

#2744801 - 13 years ago

It's not the greatest retelling...seems more like "Resident Evil On Mars" now. The story was great, but the gameplay needed to be more one-man-army-ish.

• Keybob

Keybob

#2768256 - 13 years ago

yeah. not enough monsters. Was creepy though.

• slobbergoat

slobbergoat

#2768926 - 13 years ago

a little more on topic:
    my best grade/high school/college/wasted youth years were spent on everything doomish. it was/is amazing. i don't think there many games that old that have as big of a modding community. people say that the half-life mod community really turned pc game modding into an artform/brought it to the surface. the doom mod world had been around and thriving years before half-life. don't get me wrong, the half-life mods, not to mention the game, were fantasmagoriffic (sp?); i just can't replace the chunk of my time that was devoted to all things doomly. long live duff!! i mean, doom!!!!=1

• caboose_i_AM

caboose_i_AM

#3480224 - 13 years ago

for the love of god shut up about any thing that isn't origanal doom

• caboose_i_AM

caboose_i_AM

#3480235 - 13 years ago

i mean the origanal dooms

• LorD_BaZ

#3485588 - 13 years ago

You necro-ed the thread to slag everyone off... nice move. Personally I'd take all conversation to the Doom95! thread started by merc church. It's been a little more active than this one.

• caboose_i_AM

caboose_i_AM

#3706058 - 13 years ago

no shit!!!!
    this is boring