Forums > PC Gaming

Planetside Unofficial Add

Posts (29)

• Het

Het

#3615213 - 13 years ago

It also bears mentioning that PlanetSide will be running a "fodder" program similar to the one Anarchy Online has been using...
    That is, you'll be able to play FREE, with a limitation on the levels you can attain....Probably "Battle Rank" 6 or 8, and "Command Rank" 2....
    The FodderSide program should start in March, and it's a great opportunity to experience an MMOFPS if you never have..
    Unlike most MMOs, PlanetSide isn't "level-based"...That is, a level 6 can compete fairly with a level 25, the highest in the game...Your abilities aren't dependent upon your level, only on your skill...The levels only allow you to have more "certifications", or things trained, at once....A level 6 can have anything in the game trained, and they'd only have to choose which certs to use, rather than have them all at once..
    It's the way the game played for a long time, and it allows even the low levels to fight and compete fairly with anyone in the game.
    But anyone the least interested in FPS, or huge battles, and especially anyone that loved Tribes and wished the areas and battles were bigger should really take advantage of the free play...It IS a very addictive game, given a chance.

• Het

Het

#3615226 - 13 years ago

www.gaminguploads.com/forums/local_links.php?action=jump&id=223&catid=1

This is a direct link to the video, bypassing the forum post it's in..

• Kleptomaniac

Kleptomaniac

#3616699 - 13 years ago

Hmm, BattleRank (BR) 6 or 8 only? And a CommandRank (CR) of only 2?

Well I've never even gotten CR1 so I don't mind that, heh heh, but the BR limit is a tad low. Yeah, it's for testing the game out, but if someone planned to play competitively with that limit they'd have trouble.

You get implants every 6 levels (3 at most)...which give you nice little bonuses, like being able to see invisible people, or you heal, or you run faster, etc. The level 25's will have all 3.

And yes, while you COULD max out your ground force skills by level 6, thus having the heaviest armor and the biggest weapons, but you would have no certs left to be able to drive any vehicles. The higher level players will have their own personal attack vehicles, and their side's biggest gun, and rocket launchers incase of enemy vehicles.

Now granted, if you learn the engine of the game, and see the best way to kill people, then yeah...a level 6 could take out a level 25 with possibly no trouble at all. But for the majority, the level 25's will have the superior firepower.

Still, it IS a game that you shold try at least once, especially if it won't cost you money. I thought the game was a great idea, but lately it's been getting a little "Eh..." with the expansions. Plus, there's still bugs in the game that have yet to be fixed...

• Het

Het

#3618130 - 13 years ago

I always saw PlanetSide's biggest strength as being the simple fact that your performance is strictly based on your skills and the amount of effort you put into learning to play....
    MORE certs don't make you "better".
    In virtually all other MMO-type games, a level 6 can't remotely fight a level 30...The abilities are too disparate.
    PlanetSide doesn't suffer from that.
    Again, you can have MORE things certified and learned at once with higher rank...But there's nothing you can't do at lower rank...No certification you can't have, no ability that a higher level player can use but you can't...That's a big deal.
    Most vehicles are multi-passenger, and a ride is rarely a problem...And, there has to be a reason for those that DO become addicted to subscribe...Having all the certs at once is that reason.
    But, having to make a choice between a bigger gun or a car isn't any problem, the way I see it...I still play several of my lower-level characters occasionally, and I always have just as much fun, and am as succesful, with my level 5 or 8s as I am with my maxxed out characters. There is no level disparity in abilities.
    I just have to forego a tank for heavy assault...Or vice versa...I can change to whatever certifications I want at any time...I can play a completely different type of chracter, with totally different abilities, every DAY if I want..and be completely competitive.

• Kleptomaniac

Kleptomaniac

#3618568 - 13 years ago

Well, hrm...I'm trying to figure out the right word to use in this situation. Let me set it up.

We have a New Conglomorate soldier. He has heavy armor, the JackHammer, and the Rocket Launcher for his side (I think it's called the Devastator). He can handle himself against 3 soldiers at once, and has no problem dealing with one or two MAX's. Inside of the base, he works the best, due to the small tunnel-like halls. However, because he has no vehicle certs, he cannot get around quickly by himself. Unless people are nice and offer him a ride, or he managed to get a good squad, he will have to trek on foot where he is easy prey for vehicles, snipers, and the ocasional cloaker or two.

We have another New Conflomorate soldier. He has the heavy armor, the JackHammer, the Rocket Launcher. He's not as good as the previous guy. He can take on one enemy, and beat him, but he's too weak to take on another guy. He can damage a MAX severely, but not kill one by himself. However, he has many vehicle certs. Even if there are no nearby spawns at the base that his team is attacking, he can spawn at the nearest base and grab a vehicle or a Mobile Spawn to bring back to the front lines. He also travels around in a Lightning, where he can take out vehicles by himself, and lots of soldiers. However, he likes to use the Vanguard Tank as well.

Now, which one is "better"? This is why I didn't know the right word to use. Granted, the first soldier can take on lots of men by himself. He's got good shooting and evading skills. However, the second soldier is much more useful. He can bring in a Mobile Spawn, and use the Lightning or Vanguard to help assault bases before the soldiers move in to hack it. Both are good in capturing bases...since one can go inside and clear out the infantry for the hackers, while the other can camp outside and prevent them from resupplying the base or bringing in vehicular reinforcements.

• Cyrus_Ramses

Cyrus_Ramses

#3618582 - 13 years ago

I've always wanted to try Planetside, but fuck paying all that money a month for a glorified shooter. So maybe this is the thing for me.

• The_Geck

The_Geck

#3619136 - 13 years ago

i reckon there should be a game like this...but set in the vietnam era (i got the idea after watching platoon and good morning vietnam) it'd be awesome with the different roles like piloyt and stuff... also you could have non combat related jobs like radio guy but anyway if they do a free trial thing ill definately get it as i liked the concept of the game but wasnt willing to pay

• Het

Het

#3619371 - 13 years ago

Actually, it's not a "trial"...It's a year of free play, limited in battle rank and command rank...A lot like what Anarchy Online has been doing for a year now..
    In other words, you get the full game, and essentially unlimited play, free...But, if you want to get all the certifications at once, like paying players, you'd have to subscribe..
    You can still have any of the certs...Just not all of them at once.
    You can play a grunt, a medic, an engineer...A vehicle driver...All have combat ability, but you'd need to specialize more than a paying player...
    Not that that's any particular problem...You can change certifications at the drop of a hat at any Certification Terminal..The only limitation is that when you drop a particular cert, you have to wait 24 hours to cert that particular one again...But all the others are available immediately..You can recert every 30 minutes if you want.

• Het

Het

#3619538 - 13 years ago

For clarification, here's a link to the Official Announcement concerning FodderSide.
    I gives all the details straight from SOE themselves.

psforums.station.sony.com/ps/board/message?board.id=psdiscussion&message.id=798667

• Radant

Radant

#3619993 - 13 years ago

Planetside is the game thats perfect for people who like the idea of a million players, playing at once in a huge world, but prefer rockets and bullets to swords and arrows.
    It's also the only MMO that I'm aware of where the battle system requires actual true First Person Shooter tactics, such as aiming, reloading, cover etc. instead of a 'lock on target and watch your character do the fighting'.

As mentioned before, think of Tribes, on a World of Warcraft scale.

You'll have a blast no matter what your disposition to the genre.

• Rogue100

Rogue100

#3623447 - 13 years ago

Cool! My planetside discs have been gathering dust for awhile now, but this might be reason to reinstall them and give it another run!

• Tin

Tin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#3743527 - 13 years ago

In reply to Het, #2:

It is confirmed that it is battle rank 8 and command rank 2 for the fodder program and it has started now

• Het

Het

#3743832 - 13 years ago

Tin, I just left the PlanetSide forums, and there is no mention of the FreePlay having started....In fact, a lot of people on the forums are asking for the exact date it WILL start....
    You'd better check your information...It seems you're very misinformed.....
    Your statement about the rank limits also seems to be wrong...The official statement from Enrico that is on the forums still says BR6....
    It's not a good idea to post this stuff without verifying that it's correct...It can be very frustrating for anyone that is interested in trying the game.
    Wait until you see an OFFICIAL announcement about the release before you go spreading misinformation. I assure you that SOE will make sure it's prominently displayed when it goes live.

• NamelessPlyr

NamelessPlyr

#3745099 - 13 years ago

I find it surprising that no one has mentioned PlanetSide Universe and their Buddy Key Exchange program. It's because of the BKE that I have a very strong addiction to PlanetSide-unfortunately, the system is very low on 10-day trial keys. I donated all 10 of mine, but they're probably all used up now.

Yes, it's not FodderSide, but we'll have to have something for an easy-to-acquire trial until the whole Cannon Fodder program kicks in.

• Het

Het

#3748896 - 13 years ago

I used up all my Buddy Keys maybe 2 years ago...It didn't take long to pass out the 10 you get to give away...and, as you said, 10 days isn't a very long time to play when you consider PlanetSide is almost a 2-gigabyte download...many see that, and just don't bother for ten lousy days..
    I see that as the biggest benefit of FodderSide...Same as for Anarchy Online, a full YEAR of play makes a huge DL worth the effort and time.
    2 gig is a major consideration when contemplating downloading a game for most people..Even those of us with fast cable.

• Zorbokk

Zorbokk

#3752378 - 13 years ago

About BR 6/8 being too restrictive:
    The best thing to do is to find yourself an outfit you can get along with. I'm on Emerald, VS, and after a few days I joined up with Azure Twilight. Being in an outfit takes care of the transportation problem, and it always helps to have a few buddies helping you slaughter the enemy.

• Het

Het

#3752921 - 13 years ago

I don't really find a rank 6 limit to be restrictive...I have 24 characters across all the servers, and I still play my rank 5-8 characters occasionally.
    I find I can do anything with them I can do with my maxxed-out characters, to be honest..I can't have as many certifications at once, but as far as my abilities to go anywhere and do anything, the rank limit isn't a factor.
    With BR6, you can still have Reinforced armor, Heavy Assault, and then you can choose between a vehicle or a support cert...And that pretty much makes you as capable as anyone in the game.
    And, as you said, if you're in of an outfit, you become much more powerful as part of a team.

• Tin

Tin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#3761343 - 13 years ago

It has started because i asked in the VR training if anyone was in the fodder program and many people said yes

• Het

Het

#3762088 - 13 years ago

Whoever you asked, then, Tin, is as misinformed and apt to spread false information as YOU are.
    Again, all you have to do is hit the PlanetSide forums and read all about it for yourself....It's full of posts about it.
    We all know it's soon...But no one know when it'll go live....The last information that has been released was 3 weeks ago, and people have been clamoring for more ever since.
    But, quite simply...Go verify your information before you make assumptions based on hearsay, and before you post it where people that may sincerely be interested in trying the game will read it and become frustrated and disappointed.
    They have been activating old accounts for 30 days lately, that is, people that used to play and haven't in a while receive emails that give them a 30-day key, to come back and try the game since changes have taken place...But "FodderSide" is NOT active as yet.
    By the way, "FodderSide" is not the official name of the free play program...It's a humorous name that the players came up with in the forums..The official name for it is being bandied about now..

• Tin

#3784015 - 13 years ago

i know that isnt the proper name i DO go on the forums and i DO play the game and the 30 day free trial has now ended it started Jan 1st end Feb 1st so maybe it is YOU who are misinformed

• Het

Het

#3788686 - 13 years ago

The 30 days *I* was referring to...IF you had read the post....was the "Return to Auraxis" promo for old players that had left the game...Which is still taking place.
    NOT the 30-day trial for everyone...The one active is only available if you receive an email on the email account you had registered as a paying player of PlanetSide before having left more than a certain time past.

• Tin

#3792079 - 13 years ago

Yes i know what you mean and it has finished i asked my friend to make sure and he said it has finished because he used it and then carried his supscription on heres a question do you actually PLAY the game?

• Het

Het

#3792682 - 13 years ago

I've been there since closed beta..Still have the closed beta disks, in fact...And although your friend may have finished HIS "Return to PlanetSide" promotion...Others are still getting invitations...again, as you'd know if you read the forums..It's an ongoing effort.
    The "Return to PlanetSide promotion started last November and they call in a few every week...The requirements are that you must have been a previous subscriber, and you must have been away from the game for a matter of months.
    It's an entirely seperate promotion from the 30-day trial that just ended.
    If you read the forums much, you'd know that, since I have over 2400 posts in there...I'm a frequent poster...It's simple enough to do a search for my name there, or just scan the topics for one I've posted.

Post edited 2/23/06 4:03AM