Forums > PC Gaming

Rift

Posts (30)

• PerfectDark

PerfectDark

#14379201 - 8 years ago

I couldn't find a thread for this so I figured why not start one. Is anyone else going to play it?

• Varsh1138

Varsh1138 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold 3D Games artist guy

#14406724 - 8 years ago

I am kind of surprised at the lack of notice of it on RvB. Finally saw they have an ad for it on the AH page which is great! For those who might not know you have a chance to play the beta of Rift right now for free. All that you need to do to participate? Just go on over to here RiftBeta follow the instructions and you should be all set up and good to go.

Hope to see you all out there with the many thousands of others who have been in the betas since the first one and who knows maybe it will get you out of WoW even if its just for a little bit smiley1.gif

• MuffinProof

MuffinProof

#14412640 - 8 years ago

I tried the beta, and since I'm not sure if the NDA's lifted I'll only say this much: It is NOT a WoW-killer

• Varsh1138

Varsh1138 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold 3D Games artist guy

#14414723 - 8 years ago

Ah there in lies the underlining question right there. For me I would agree that its not. Why? Well I honestly feel that WoW has done what it set out to do by giving the internet an mmo that could appeal to fans of the warcraft series as well as those who just like fantasy. With it being out there for how long now 6 years? its pretty apparent that something would have to totally reinvent the wheel of MMO's to be considered a WoW killer in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong I still think WoW is a pretty decent MMO but I love what Rift has done. It has a lot to offer and I have been finding it an actual challenge, and a fun challenge at that, that I wasnt finding in WoW anymore. Also for me just the environments of this game are amazing. I could go on but I will stop myself before this becomes an even longer post smiley0.gif . Truth is this game is giving me something new and fresh and although not a WoW killer I feel its a pretty good contender out there against other MMO's and I look forward to playing it upon its release.

• Hetheblueone

Hetheblueone

#14415490 - 8 years ago

In reply to DennyHaze, #3:

I managed to play the beta for two days before it got ripped violently from me like a crack addict going to rehab and i gotta say, out of all the MMO's out there this is the ONE that i think even REMOTELY has the potential to put WoW down a few pegs, if not all together.

Now I don't say this out of hatred for WoW, i love WoW, i own a bunch of the extended universe books, played the RTS series and play the MMO (Dont believe me? Look up Aennicus on Baelgun, level 74 Belf hunter thank you very much) But I also look at the competition because what makes the gaming industry great is the competition, wanting to top each other over and over is what makes games better for us consumers. So it annoys me when everyone says "OMG dis tottally ripped off WOW lolz" so what? Its taking what worked and expanding. WoW ripped off everquest and expanded, and did wonderfully (Understatement) and RIFT has done that here, it has taken what made WoW great and expanded on it. I am very excited for the true release in the next week and I plan to give it a true try beyond testing the beta.

• Hetheblueone

Hetheblueone

#14415491 - 8 years ago

In reply to DennyHaze, #3:

And just as a side note, even my RT avatar is a warcraft character, you know, biggest bad ass mage ever.

• MuffinProof

MuffinProof

#14417982 - 8 years ago

In reply to Hetheblueone, #5:

I totally agree, and I sincerely hope RIFT succeeds in its mission. I, personally, just didn't see it. I wish I did, though. Got any pointers?

• Hetheblueone

Hetheblueone

#14418178 - 8 years ago

In reply to DennyHaze, #7:

On something in game or enjoying it?

• MuffinProof

MuffinProof

#14419882 - 8 years ago

In reply to Hetheblueone, #8:

I don't really know. The game felt empty to me. Might be I'm too old to get into new things, or just generally anhedonic.
    What I mean to ask was if you could suggest anything to pay closer attention to, or some place to see ingame. Just something, that would set it apart from just about every other mmo.

• Hetheblueone

Hetheblueone

#14420088 - 8 years ago

In reply to DennyHaze, #9:

I'd suggest getting into the rift invasions or the multi-soul system, those are two stand out things for me

• MuffinProof

MuffinProof

#14421499 - 8 years ago

After trying again for a bit I think I managed to find what's wrong with the beginning, for me. As a new player, and character you're slapped in the middle of a battle. It doesn't give me the new beginning feeling. It may be I'm used to starting out as a newcomer in games. In other ones I've extensively played (Lineage 2, WoW, and even EvE) you start out in a flowery newbie area.
    Ok, I'm bad at explaining my thoughts.
    Rift felt like one of those games, where you start out all powerful, and ten lose your powers, and have to get them back, but you're already in the middle of everything. It felt like that, but without having any powers in the beginning.
    Granted, I didn't get very far to experience the things further in, but that pretty much shows that it's another endgame mmo.
    I'm the kind of player, who likes to stop to look at the cave paintings, and statues. Rift didn't offer me anything to stare. It didn't say "This is a pretty world, but will get darker, and bigger as you advance". It was just dark, and plain, and promised to stay that way. That doesn't make me want to keep playing.

• Hetheblueone

Hetheblueone

#14421693 - 8 years ago

In reply to DennyHaze, #11:

Ahhh, see im good with either. I'm good with starting out in a cushion and pretty area and working up (I think silvermoon is a good example) But i actually prefer getting thrust into the middle of something, it creates an environment of "The worlds a fucked up place, welcome to it" I mean silvermoon gave me a false sense of security until you get out into the world (Pre-cata) and realize that if you see something thats not in a city its either a mob or an alliance player

• CaesarsDeath

CaesarsDeath

#14455254 - 8 years ago

I decided to bump up this thread because I was thinking of picking it up this weekend after watching a few videos and was wondering if anyone wanted to give me some tips or level together.

Have been looking for a new MMO for a while and am interested in this Class system, was thinking of playing a Ranged Rogue, sounds like my style of gameplay.

• Hetheblueone

Hetheblueone

#14457633 - 8 years ago

In reply to CaesarsDeath, #13:

Well i went a rouge with the ranger, marksman and assassin souls, which means im a ranged ranger with cloaking abilities, its tons of fun. I suggest getting a good computer though, the starting zones arent to hard on the PC but when you get into rift zones or cities it starts to make a comp scream

• Rarfhr

Rarfhr

#14460913 - 8 years ago

The TGN videos on Youtube are pretty good, specifically the ones by Cromar. It looks like a fun game to play and I love the soul trees. And speaking about WoW killers, Blizzard is the WoW killer right now. Their WoW development team got moved to their new mmo Titan and some of the changes in recent patches are just weird. So I think some people are moving onto other games. I know a few people I raided with that have started playing Rift so I might give it a shot too.

Post edited 3/19/11 1:25PM

• Hetheblueone

Hetheblueone

#14461045 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rarfhr, #15:

You should its fun, if a bit copy tastic.

But honestly i knew WoW and blizzard were doomed when they decided to become buddy-buddy with activision

• CaesarsDeath

CaesarsDeath

#14461177 - 8 years ago

Yea I got it, fun game, good custimization, anyone else find the graphics to be a bit dark though?

• Hetheblueone

Hetheblueone

#14462011 - 8 years ago

In reply to CaesarsDeath, #17:

remember, in todays gaming brown is real

• CaesarsDeath

CaesarsDeath

#14468609 - 8 years ago

In reply to Hetheblueone, #18:

Sadly true nowadays :(

• Rhojin

Rhojin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14481574 - 8 years ago

Loving the game so far. The world event that hits today sounds like it will be a blast. I rolled a Defiant Necromancer/Warlock/Dominator on the Millrush Shard.

• Hetheblueone

Hetheblueone

#14482135 - 8 years ago

In reply to Rhojin, #20:

Sadly i have to do theater all week so i might miss the event, looks awesome though

• Varsh1138

#14483476 - 8 years ago

In reply to Hetheblueone, #21:

The event will be running for a while so you might be able to catch phase 2 and 3 of it still if phase one is already over on your server. Made sure that the next phase doesn't kick off right off the bat when phase one was completed.

• Hetheblueone

Hetheblueone

#14484291 - 8 years ago

In reply to GeneMcTardo, #22:

Alright cool

• Mardrayn

Mardrayn

#14700415 - 8 years ago

Rift has been a great experience for me so far. Right around the time Cata came out, i was already losing interest in WoW so once i heard about Rift, i was eager to check it out. I would definitely agree that it is NOT a WoW killer on a large scale, but as for me, it has taken it's place

Also, just as a side note, whenever i played WoW, i would always hear people talk about how they had always been around since vanilla WoW, and now with a new, quality MMO on the market, now i can be that guy!

• NoTarget2Tuf

NoTarget2Tuf

#14710500 - 8 years ago

Anyone on Briarcliff?