• Pavuk

Pavuk

#33172537 - 3 years ago

kbkelohel, i play prety much anything im in the mood for

• Funkle

Funkle

#33174376 - 3 years ago

http://steamcommunity.com/id/funkle_/

I just play games. A lot of Rocket League these days.

• phantomsg13

phantomsg13 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33174523 - 3 years ago

PhantomSG13 if you're looking for me on Steam, I play way more LoL and minecraft, but I do love me some ARK, 7DaysToDie, and all other kinds of steam fun

• DairyPro

DairyPro Execute Missed Approach

#33175570 - 3 years ago

DairyPro - Mostly playing The Division right now, mainly GTA V or DayZ Mod aside from that.

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33243556 - 3 years ago

I'm interested in Steam but steamboxes dont seem to be going anywhere and I'm very dumb about tech. I've seen all the vids and I've especially went through the browsing of building a PC and I don't have the smarts or money for that.

So, not to offend, but can someone spare me the build argument and

tell me about laptops? Are there any good gaming ones? What's your

recommendations? D:

So far my family computer doesn't seem to hold Steam well even if I only have Undertale on it right now.

• meelis13

meelis13 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Estonian

#33243741 - 3 years ago

In reply to OtherGram

that depends on budget you can use. Gaming laptops are there, just if you want one equal to medium-grade gaming PC, those can be rather pricey (depending where you live of course).

And mate, trust me- building PC isnt that hard, if you let IT-savy person pick parts for you. If you can hold a screwdriver & connect cables to correct spots on back of the panel, you can absolutely do this :)

I do understand it can be scary though- some parts need to be pushed in with certain degree of force (but not too much). But believe me, when i say modern PC parts are designed to be quite foolproof- if you arent supposed to put part in like that or that spot, you mostly cant. Biggest pain is connecting those little pins to front panel to correct spots on motherboard due to small letters & spots- still, everything is marked. I know you said you dont want to build it, but im saying just in case you will end up doing so at some point- i reccommend taking old PC apart & seeing what is connected where

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33243745 - 3 years ago

In reply to Meelis13

So I minds well give up hope entirely then. T-T

Yeahhhhh no you dont understand me and computers or see the huge trail of dead ones in my wake. T-T

I dont get computers so taking it apart would do me no good either. =[

• Jim_Survak

Jim_Survak Ain't Nobody

#33243790 - 3 years ago

In reply to OtherGram

Alienware and MSI both have laptops with breakout boxes to upgrade an external graphics card. I have the Alienware 13 which is pretty convenient for on-the-go gaming but have it hooked up to a beefy graphics card thanks to the Graphics Amplifier. So at home I get much better performance.

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33243804 - 3 years ago

In reply to Jim_Survak

You lost me. o-o I take it those laptops are good?

• Jim_Survak

Jim_Survak Ain't Nobody

#33243808 - 3 years ago

Well, yea as a brand they are pretty good. I guess it's better to ask: what DO you know about PC gaming?

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33243812 - 3 years ago

In reply to Jim_Survak

Well like I said I'm very dumb about computers. It's kinda sad but I dont comprehend it all despite my generation.

I know nothing thus why I ask. I do know I can't afford no build though. Was just curious about the laptop since it's done built but it seems it's just as high...

• Jim_Survak

Jim_Survak Ain't Nobody

#33243828 - 3 years ago

Well then... aside from Undertale - what other games do you like to play?

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33243831 - 3 years ago

In reply to Jim_Survak

It's always random. I did play Portal 2 & Quantum Conumdrum albeit by erasing one and to play another. I noticed a lot of games from childhood days on there.

• mrexpensive

mrexpensive

#33243857 - 3 years ago

http://steamcommunity.com/id/drunkswede/

Mostly playing Rocket League and Total War:Warhammer, would be happy to play with others!

• Jim_Survak

Jim_Survak Ain't Nobody

#33243887 - 3 years ago

In reply to OtherGram

Ok, well you don't need a lot of gaming power then. What kind of budget can you play with? Are you buying it or is someone buying it for you?

The most affordable "gaming" laptop that I can think of is Dell's 7000 Gaming series. It starts at $800. It's a good system for what it is, and has a couple upgrade options (RAM & hard drive/solid-state drive).

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/p...

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33243927 - 3 years ago

In reply to Jim_Survak

Ehhhhh I'd say anything over 1000$ is impossible for me. I'm not smart enough and I definitely see no point in getting anything too high when it just requires upgrading in a few years.

That seems simple enough. Would it handle games for a while? I dont know what the rAM is :[

• DairyPro

DairyPro Execute Missed Approach

#33244694 - 3 years ago

Just a note - in my personal experience, I've never had good luck with MSI products. From what I've seen from others, the general consensus is mixed, and I would avoid them based on my past luck with them. Again, it's just from my personal experiences with them, but if you're going to go with a gaming laptop, I'd go with an Asus or Alienware. If you're wanting to stay under $1000, you can build a really good gaming desktop for under that. This imgur post outlines some decent builds for different price ranges. - Also, I'm not a "PC Master Race" guy, although I am a PC gamer.

Bottom line is: If you want a laptop, that's fine, but you'll get better performance for your dollar out of a desktop should you ever want to play other games. Whichever way you go, do some research on what you're buying so you know what you're getting in to. +1 on the Dell Inspirons that Jim_Survak linked above. They would be able to handle some decent games with the 960m (including the ones you listed), and would be a good choice if you want to dip your toes into PC gaming without committing to fully building a PC.

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33245179 - 3 years ago

I've done a lot of research and asking here is basically my last option. Finding videos and such helps but nothing helps more than one on one talking. So far what I've learned is that at cheapest I can build a pc for 600 if I'm lucky but the odds of it being useful long are low.

For laptops I've learned you can get decent ones at 800$ but that still begs the question of how long it'll last before upgrading.

What got me interested in the pc thing was Steam and pc gaming's, what basically amounts too, always backward compatible. I'd never lose games I like to time.

What's deterring me however is this upgrade rate I'm seeing. It makes it more costly than console gaming and I'm not tech smart enough to keep something like that up to snuff.

Games I like tend to be like Undertale or in more modern examples Journey and the DMC Reboot. How long would a PC last, laptop or otherwise, with those standards?

I've never cared about stupid things like brand (like most console fanboys), "specs", or even graphical level. What I care about is a game that's fun and if I can play it. So how long would a more budget wise pc last with that kinda gaming starndard?

I've heard of those Alienwares but most I see are kinda outrageous in price. :[

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33245181 - 3 years ago

In reply to Jim_Survak

I've heard of those Dells. Would they be okay for what I'm talking about?

• Jim_Survak

Jim_Survak Ain't Nobody

#33247179 - 3 years ago

In reply to OtherGram

Yea, for what you're doing it'll be perfectly fine. I think you'll be plenty happy with that for a few years, given the games you play. I'm not promising perpetual 1080p High Settings, but it'll get the job done for you & you'll be happy, I think.

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33247184 - 3 years ago

In reply to Jim_Survak

Then let me ask, how is that laptop in comparison to these steam machines and alienware alphas things I'm seeing.

I'm sorry for so many questions but I gotta save for things and I need to know what I'm saving for.

• FLASHFIST

FLASHFIST

#33247280 - 3 years ago

Hi. I bought some game on steam but I need Windows to play them so I need get a pc. I'm starting to see that the consoles are a turning in too a joke and I would like a pc that I can change the software so I never have to buy the latest model. I'm thinking about buying Alien because I don't know how to build a pc from scratch and Dell will cover the problems. Is a desktop better then a laptop for gaming? Would a laptop over heat? Should I get the Alpha or the Aurora? I am not a fan of MMOs I don't think super graphics engine are necessary for playing a good game. And would a Alpha be like buying a consoles? would it over heat? and can I update its hardware like a pc?

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33247295 - 3 years ago

In reply to FLASHFIST

I asked similar questions. You'll like find some answers on the previous page. It seems desktop tops laptop but I think that's only if you want some kinda monster outstanding system.

• mabrasm

mabrasm FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33247401 - 3 years ago

In reply to FLASHFIST

I'd be more likely to look up a tutorial online or ask some friends who might know more about PCs. You can build a computer that'll run most games for fairly cheap these days. When you buy an Alienware you're putting a lot of money into the name Alienware.

• Jim_Survak

Jim_Survak Ain't Nobody

#33248016 - 3 years ago

In reply to OtherGram

It's not a Steam Machine. And if you want something specifically to run Linux/SteamOS games, then go buy a Steam Machine. I experimented with building my own but the game performance on SteamOS as compared to Windows was pretty bad. I think that laptop I showed you is a much better deal than any of the Steam Machines out there.

The Alphas use laptop components, but have a few options for upgrades. But I won't get into that since you're pretty hardware adverse. So in comparison, if you're looking at the base models (the ones you won't need to configure to order) the laptop is $800 vs the Alpha's $500, but you get much better hardware (more RAM, a better CPU, and a better GPU). If you were to buy the $800 Alpha you get a slightly better CPU & slightly better RAM speeds; though there won't be any difference in performance. At the $800 price point the biggest difference is that you can later upgrade the Alpha by getting the Alienware Graphics Amplifier & upgrading to a higher-end GPU (though I don't think that'll be necessary unless you want to get into virtual reality).

If I were you, given the near-nothing difference in performance, the biggest question that I would ask yourself is: do I want to be portable? If yes, get the laptop. If no, get the Alpha.