Forums > PC Gaming

Steam Gamers

Posts (1913)

• Jim_Survak

Jim_Survak Ain't Nobody

#33248025 - 3 years ago

In reply to FLASHFIST

Is a desktop better then a laptop for gaming?

Generally speaking, at the same price, a full-size desktop will perform better than a laptop.

Would a laptop over heat?

Any computer can overheat for a number of reasons. Assuming a cool room, out of sunlight, not in a confined space, and no dust buildup in the laptop: no. I've had an Alienware 13 for a 19 months now, it runs absolutely fine.

Should I get the Alpha or the Aurora?

What kind of budget do you have?

I am not a fan of MMOs...

Then don't play them? I'm not sure what you're saying here.

...I don't think super graphics engine are necessary for playing a good game.

Depends on your point of view. And it depends on the kind of gaming you do. Not all games have a demanding graphics engine.

And would a Alpha be like buying a consoles? and can I update its hardware like a pc?

It's marketed that way, but has some upgrade options. Most notably the RAM & CPU. The GPU is designed to be upgradeable with the Alienware Graphics Amplifier, since it's very difficult to find a standard for the mobile GPU design.

would it over heat?

Assuming a cool room, out of sunlight, not in a confined space, and no dust buildup in the Alpha: no.

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33248158 - 3 years ago

In reply to Jim_Survak

I see so the SteamoS and machine truly is dead in the water then, a shame a pc console is a decent idea although it seems they aimed it at pc gamers rather than targeting the more casual console group. I seen that the latest alpha is upgradable but I'm very lost in terms of tech jargon and upgrading so I suppose your right.

It's not so much about portability as it is space. I dont have a big room so I was looking for a laptop which is it's own screen and system or the small consoles since I can plug it into the tv.

My only major concern is the longevity of pc gaming since everything seems to go obsolete quickly and I can't afford to keep buying for those outrageous prices. Even the laptop.

From what I'm getting though is pc gaming has settings so so long as I'm not caring about outrageous graphics like 4K or VR (have no interest in VR tbh) then I can extend it's use much longer right?

Like mid settings could carry that 60fps for longer than the pc's 4-5 years?

Edit: This laptop seems more promising and around the same price. Do you know anything about it?

• FLASHFIST

FLASHFIST

#33248226 - 3 years ago

so should I buy a Alpha or should I try and build my own gaming pc?

In reply to Jim_Survak

• Jim_Survak

Jim_Survak Ain't Nobody

#33248339 - 3 years ago

In reply to OtherGram

Yea I suspect it'll do medium settings fine for quite a few years. And you can always adjust settings to keep frame rate up or if you're less sensitive to that (like me) then you can improve the quality to sacrifice frames per second.

That laptop is Dell's Gaming Inspiron (they have a weird model numbering system so it's not always easy to tell that).

• Jim_Survak

Jim_Survak Ain't Nobody

#33248341 - 3 years ago

In reply to FLASHFIST

I can't make that decision for you.

If you want a lower cost-of-entry then go with an Alpha knowing that, before too long, you'll have to pay ~$200 for the Graphics Amp and a new desktop GPU to upgrade it's graphics performance. If you're comfortable building your own rig, then price something out on PC Part Picker and go for it.

Or buy a modest standard desktop PC, put in a new GPU and power supply. It'll cost more than the Alpha, most likely, but you'll probably go a longer amount of time before needing to upgrade any of the components.

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33248516 - 3 years ago

In reply to Jim_Survak

I see so the laptop wouldn't have to be have up too early. I guess that 7559 is the best option in my case.

Thanks for the help. :

• NumberXVRiku

NumberXVRiku FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Builder of the Web

#33253856 - 3 years ago

Hey guys I built my PC a while ago and am starting to get more into my PC backlog but would also like some people to play games like Dead by Daylight, RWBY, Rocket League, and 7 Days to Die with. Add me if you like, just looking to expand my friends from 2 :/ Steam: rikuansem001

• batsyy

batsyy

#33257448 - 2 years ago

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kingofcuttlefish/

i dont have a ton of friends who play activly on steam, so if we have a game in common, i'd love to play!

• Ivaneowski

Ivaneowski RTX 2017 Tech Guardian

#33258479 - 2 years ago

Ivan2294, I'd love to play EU4 or Stellaris sometime.

• Jacovich

Jacovich

#33264019 - 2 years ago

Hey guys, I was thinking of doing the GTA heists hardcore first-person, anybody interested?

• meelis13

meelis13 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Estonian

#33264344 - 2 years ago

In reply to Jacovich

i would, but you live across the world so thats probably a problem

• VKNGQ

VKNGQ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold MN Born and Raised

#33269894 - 2 years ago

My steam name is BariSaxy. I don't have many games, but i am looking for a good "long-ish" term multiplayer game.

• Hypeoster

Hypeoster FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Achievement Hunter

#33281811 - 2 years ago

Hey, just looking to play some games or have a chat. Steam: noahkelley1109 Xbox: Picklehairs

• Snobbil

Snobbil

#33282497 - 2 years ago

[N°52] Snobbil

making a murderer

• bluReaper

bluReaper

#33283237 - 2 years ago

Yo Figured i may aswell drop my steam in here. I'm an Aussie so FYI i may not be able to play with somepeople due to ping issues. Nevertheless feel free to throw me an add i add any and all.

Steam is: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/765611981250632...

• frackbutt

frackbutt

#33323242 - 2 years ago

I mean, I like PC games so hmu.

user: louisemarie2

• Ivaneowski

Ivaneowski RTX 2017 Tech Guardian

#33323963 - 2 years ago

In reply to frackbutt

Not coming up on Steam community for me. Might want to add a link to your profile.

• frackbutt

frackbutt

#33324137 - 2 years ago

In reply to Ivan2294

Aah, yeah my profile was set to fully private and I hadn't realized haha. It's changed now, but here is the profile link for anyone that wants it :)

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198083019534/

• TadhgK

TadhgK FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33330035 - 2 years ago

http://steamcommunity.com/id/IRLHannibal/

I'm getting a laptop that can play games finally, hoping to get back into some online play and would love to hang out with people from the community. I'm Irish living in Singapore so the timezone make it difficult to hang out with people from home. Feel free to ping me a message, should have my laptop in the next week or so. Looking forward to meeting you all!

• Swobes_the_Emo

Swobes_the_Emo

#33334104 - 2 years ago

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Swobes

I play alot of csgo and am a filthy casual.

Also join my steam group.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/EmoPrincesses

• Treanomaly

Treanomaly Absolute Travist

#33392659 - 2 years ago

treanomaly for xbox, ps4, steam

• TheGamingPastry

TheGamingPastry FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33447078 - 2 years ago

ThePastryGamer or thecakerbaker85

• naildgod

naildgod FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33448606 - 2 years ago

Steam ID: ursineunclejon

• DaisyJones

DaisyJones

#33454937 - 2 years ago

steam ID is daisyjonz

I'm going to stream a game of fibbage/drawful on twitch (if I can figure out how to do it) if anyone's interested?

• Spud_lol

Spud_lol

#33454999 - 2 years ago

STEAM: Spudwinn

I mostly play H1Z1 and Rocket League, always down for more steam folks to chill out with!