Forums > PC Gaming

Rust Discussion (Servers, Gameplay, etc)

Posts (31)

• Elosan

Elosan

#16622352 - 5 years ago

Hello everyone! I was surprised I could not find a Rust discussion thread. So I decided to make one. What I love about the game is that it can be play on PC, Mac or Linux!

For those who don't know what Rust is, I pasted the "about section" from the developer website here to give you a summary.

Rust is a survival game created by Facepunch Studios. Inspired by games like DayZ, Minecraft and Stalker – Rust aims to create a hostile environment in which emergent gameplay can flourish.

The aim of the game is to survive. To do this the player should gather resources. Hitting a tree with a rock will give you wood, hitting a rock with a rock will give you rock and ore. You can then craft a hatchet from the wood and rock, allowing you to gather faster. You can go out and hunt a variety of wildlife such as boars, chickens, rabbits, bears, wolves and deer. Once you have killed an animal you can butcher it to gather its meat and skin. You can craft a fire using wood and cook the meat inside the fire. Then you can eat.

You face two major dangers in game.

Rust is a multiplayer game, so there will be other players trying to survive in the same way that you are. Unfortunately for you they can find you, kill you and take your stuff. Fortunately for you – you can kill them and take their stuff. Or maybe you can make friends and help each other survive. Rust’s world is harsh – so you might need to make friends to survive.

The environment is not kind. Bears and wolves will chase and kill you. Falling from a height will kill you. Being exposed to radiation for an extended period will kill you. Starving will kill you. Being cold will kill you.

You can discuss anything related to Rust. Gameplay, Suggestions, Bugs, setting up a server, servers you like, seeing who plays it, funny stories, etc...

Below are some help links about Rust

playrust.com/ (developer website)

facepunch.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415 (main discussion thread)

playrustwiki.com/wiki/Play_Rust_Wiki_-_Main_Pa...

rustmap.net/ (primary rust map)

admin.playrust.com/item/list/approved/consumable...

Enjoy!

• Elosan

Elosan

#16623537 - 5 years ago

In reply to Biniferz, #2:

I know what to mean. Every time some I see a naked, I move cautiously. It is mostly I fear anyone that has clothes on. I am still rather nice to everyone. Whenever a naked player comes up to me, I usually offer them some wood or cloth (which really annoys whoever I am teamed with XD ). Hell, I even give stuff to people who try to kill me XD .

Anyway, I heard some BIG changes are coming. They are going to make the items you build and use more primitive. Such as getting rid of the M4 and using a rusky AK. Replacing some of the armor with Scrap Metal Armor.

Some of the possible upcoming features can be found in the thread below (i think)

facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1354611

• Jack3sixty

Jack3sixty FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16623589 - 5 years ago

Every so often you meet a nice person and they help you out,
    that's when I murder them :D

• whyonly12cha

whyonly12cha

#16624037 - 5 years ago

I played a lot of Rust about a month or two ago. Fun game, but needs a lot more content.

• Jack3sixty

Jack3sixty FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16624819 - 5 years ago

Still waiting for them to put in the 'Patrol Helicopters' that they finished a while ago, and wish I knew the back story of it.

• Elosan

Elosan

#16626728 - 5 years ago

In reply to Jack3sixty, #6:

I heard about that. I don't know whatever happened to them.

In reply to whyonly12cha, #5:

Yeah. It is still in alpha. They are planning to add alot more stuff. I have some links below to some threads of the objects and materials they are thinking of adding. Over all, it seems they are going to my the objects, materials, equipment, and weapons you use more primitive. For example, they are getting rid of the M4 and replacing it with a rusky AK. I think they are going to get rid of Kevlar armor and replace it with Scrap metal armor. Also, being able to forge for berries is another thing that is going to be added.

facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1354611

• whyonly12cha

whyonly12cha

#16628267 - 5 years ago

In reply to Elosan, #7:

That all looks really cool. I'm probably going to wait till at least the beta to start playing again though.

• Edain

Edain

#16629250 - 5 years ago

After months of relentless attempts to say hello to people before I took a shot, I finally learned that I am too nice to play this game. But I have a short memory...

• Elosan

Elosan

#16630692 - 5 years ago

In reply to whyonly12cha, #8:

In reply to Elosan, #7:

That all looks really cool. I'm probably going to wait till at least the beta to start playing again though.

Yeah. I am thinking of taking a break from it as well. I am going regularly going to the forums and trying to submit suggestions. I am even working on some blender models to use as examples. It won't be until they add more variety of things you can do when I will probably get back into it.

What are somethings you guys want in it?

• whyonly12cha

whyonly12cha

#16630791 - 5 years ago

In reply to Elosan, #10:

More diverse terrain, bigger maps, incentives not to kill on sight, and greater amounts of harvestable resources are some of the main ones for me. A greater selection for crafting would also be cool.

I should really learn how to use blender. Did you use tutorials?

• Elosan

Elosan

#16630901 - 5 years ago

In reply to whyonly12cha, #11:

Yes. I do use tutorials. I am still learning XD . I would start off here www.blender.org/support/tutorials/ . There are tons of tutorials out there. Just make sure to start from the beginning.

They are going to add wild berries you can harvest I think.

As for greater reasons not to kill on sight, I am not sure. The game is literally survival of the fittest. What they would do is to add features to the game to encourage teamwork and things that would discourage people from attacking on sight. One thing they are really working on is customizable characters. I was killed quite a few times because my attacker thought I was someone else. Or how about customizable flags or clothing to form teams?

One feature someone suggested that I like is the incorporation of gun holsters and quivers. Now, this does not mean the player MUST carry a quiver or holster to carry a weapon. The quiver/gun holster only appears on the character's model when he/she has a weapon (bow/gun) in one of his/her selection bar at the bottom of the screen. This way, someone who is naked can't "pretend" to be a fresh spawn, run up to someone asking for help, and then suddenly pull out a shotgun.

• whyonly12cha

whyonly12cha

#16630931 - 5 years ago

In reply to Elosan, #12:

Thanks for the link!

The customizable clothing and flags is a great idea. Maybe the ability to forage and craft dyes from berries is a good idea?

The holster would be nice. Maybe make some benefits to wearing the holster, like an extra hotkey slot. That way there would be an incentive to wear the holster.

• Edain

Edain

#16637559 - 5 years ago

So about my short memory, I started playing again. But this time with a couple friends. It's much more fun with friends. I survived for more than a minute, successfully repelled angry people from our base, and led a successful ambush which drove the malcontents away for good. Hooray!

• Elosan

Elosan

#16699463 - 5 years ago

I have recently been getting back into it. But in a rather different way. I have been rather active on the forums recently giving suggestions on stuff that should be added to the game. I have even been using some of my computer modeling skills to show examples of how they would work. Most recently I been showing how adding corner pieces would add more variety to constructable buildings. You can see some in the links below. They are not as good as other models people made. I am still learning XD

facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1354611&...

What do you guys think?

• Edain

Edain

#16699787 - 5 years ago

In reply to Elosan, #16:

Looks promising. I would like a game where the environment would be more dangerous than players, or something to promote cooperation incentive. Tired of getting bullets in response to "hello"s.

• Edain

Edain

#16702985 - 5 years ago

In reply to Biniferz, #18:

Gasp, but I am unique in every way. None are my equal...lol

• Elosan

Elosan

#16709330 - 5 years ago

Just a quick update. Here is an example of a structure people could make with metal corner pieces.

• Mar4uder

Mar4uder FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16712781 - 5 years ago

It's a game that I can only play in short bursts without getting ragey.
    Hunt. Die. Build. Destroy. Raid. Get raided. Repeat.
    It's a good game but to stay in good standing on a relatively busy server you would have to dedicate a big portion of your time. You'd also have to be ruthless because you will rarely find someone genuinely friendly and I find that I burn out pretty quickly after doing the same things over and over.
    A lot more fun with friends but there's only so much we can take before the constant raids and starting from scratch gets too boring/annoying.
    A lot of potential though and I'm looking forward to seeing how development progresses.

• Edain

Edain

#16713086 - 5 years ago

In reply to Mar4uder, #21:

Very much agreed. It used to be a lot kinder, but I think perhaps the DayZ folk got tired of waiting for updates or something and so they set their sights on terrorizing Rust natives. I can't get on without getting a group of friends to play. Just not worth the trouble to dodge the hostiles that build on top of the loot places and shoot anything that moves. Even with friends, we always take casualties in the attempt. Hard to fight with a rock lol.

• Mar4uder

Mar4uder FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16713140 - 5 years ago

In reply to Edain, #22:

None of my friends want to play anymore due to a lot of servers being overly competitive/hostile. The only way I can play well as a solo player is to have hidden weapon and resource caches all over the map and to not settle anywhere. This game is definitely aimed at people wanting to group together but the people who tend to play are too hostile to make it work.

• Edain

Edain

#16714358 - 5 years ago

In reply to Mar4uder, #23:

It's a terrible catch 22. Need to play in a group, but can't be a part of a group because the group attacks you lol.

• Elosan

Elosan

#16716698 - 5 years ago

In reply to Edain, #24:

In reply to Mar4uder, #23:

I know the feeling. It is very difficult to be a "nice person" in the game. Usually I only attack people that attack me, but by then it is too late.

I think on part that is holding back Rust is the lack of creative content. When I look at suggestions on the forums, most of them are items people can use and that will help them better survive or raid. While I love the survival aspect of it, I wish there was more creativity in what you could make. That is why I am trying to add the idea of corner pieces.

Another thing that people seem to forget (or at least I think they do) is that this game is a MIX of wasteland, Dayz and Minecraft. Many people in the suggestions want to make things more realistic, like item weight or limit to what you can carry, which too me would ruin alot of the experience 0_o . I have rarely seen anyone make suggestions that are for a pure creative level. Such as a table or chair or something XD

• Edain

Edain

#16717169 - 5 years ago

In reply to Elosan, #25:

Agreed. I like the idea of ladders and the like, making something you're proud of, rather than generic square. What would be even more enjoyable is some defensive capabilities for the bases. Spike pits and the like would curb aggression I think

• Ripe_Kiwi

Ripe_Kiwi

#16720416 - 5 years ago

I uploaded a Rust Let's Play a couple of week's ago, but of course I didn't get anywhere,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMOfD8DZit8&list=...

Here it is, please subscribe.

• Jack3sixty

#16767718 - 5 years ago

Got my server back up

Starter kits with Supply Signals

Currently at war with the Russians aha

109.169.60.67:28515