Forums > PC Gaming

Steam suggestions? Anyone want to play?

Posts (29)

• PirateBabe

PirateBabe

#16769243 - 5 years ago

I'm new to PC gaming. I have a steam account and if anyone has any game suggestions or wants to play something with me, Id love to know. What are some fun games for someone just starting to learn what the fuck they're doing?

Post edited 6/11/14 6:41PM

• StryfeRyder

StryfeRyder FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16769275 - 5 years ago

I used to give away keys in my journals, I have a bunch of steam game keys still floating around if you want some just to have something to try out? It's mostly more budget or indie games.

I am currently playing Bioshock, but have had a lot of fun with DayZ. I might suggest something like Limbo or Fez if you wanted something more casual.

For the most part I base what to buy on what sounds most exciting on the RT podcast and patch, I don't have the time to do much research on games myself.

Always down to play I should be under -- stryfedelivery these days

• FlawedLogik

FlawedLogik

#16769525 - 5 years ago

Steam has a ton of free to play stuff to get you started.
    For shooters you have Team Fortress 2, Planetside 2.
    Decent MMOs like Rift.
    DOTA 2 for a league of legends type game.

If you were planning to purchase any games I'd wait until next week when the Steam summer sale opens up and you can get some huge discounts.

• Dice

Dice wOrk

#16769607 - 5 years ago

I highly recommend tf2, banished, portal 2, and if youve got the cash, ESO (not on steam) smiley0.gif

• Guesty

Guesty FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16770151 - 5 years ago

Guacamele gold edition.
    A fun platform combat side scroller. Set in Mexico. Funny, beautiful and great to play.

Recommends a controller but you can totally play it with just a keyboard.

Also Biniferz is right, summer steam sale. Play the waiting game. Then buy ALL THE GAMES.

• Limemuffin

Limemuffin

#16770278 - 5 years ago

Tf2 is a must, Portal 1 and 2, Bioshock series and the half life series. They would be my recommendations for new pc gamers.

• possumgumbo

possumgumbo

#16770524 - 5 years ago

Dishonored features the best controls and gameplay I have seen on PC, and it's quite pretty to look at.

• Dice

Dice wOrk

#16770530 - 5 years ago

In reply to possumgumbo, #8:

Yes! I love Dishonored smiley0.gif

• possumgumbo

possumgumbo

#16770531 - 5 years ago

OH! ALSO MAGICKA. You can't play it on a console, and it is amazingly fun and cheap.

Magicka makes you feel like a real wizard; rather than set spells and abilities, you have the buttons QWERASDF (each representing an element) to combine and cast spells on the fly. It has absolutely hilarious co-op, and a hilarious, parody- riddled storyline.

• spinny

spinny

#16771272 - 5 years ago

I recommend Counter Strike, Portal series, Half Life, Starbound, Rust (I dont own it but my brother loves it), and FTL. There is a free updated version of Half Life 1 at www.blackmesasource.com/, but it still doesn't have the last level on it.
    I would wait until the steam sale, you can get half of these games for $5

Post edited 6/12/14 2:26PM

• spinny

spinny

#16771303 - 5 years ago

Oh I also recommend watching the Humble Bundles https://www.humblebundle.com/. There is nothing really on it right now, but sometimes they have amazing bundles you can get for under $5.

• leiacorn

leiacorn

#16771554 - 5 years ago

You could always try Left 4 Dead. It's all about killing loads of zombies and it's really fun (especially if you have 3 idiots to play with you).
    What I'd also recommend is Portal 1 and 2. It's a puzzle game with the most amazing characters and dialogues. Rarely have I ever played a game as funny as Portal. The developers sure did great work.
    If you're into RPGs there's always the TES series which I can also greatly recommend (from Morrowind to Skyrim), those were many hours well spent.
    If MMO's are your thing they have Lord of the Rings Online, Rift and a few others which cost you nothing except a long time to download, depending on your internet connection.
    Amnesia and Among the Sleep are good choices if you're into survival horror and if you're looking for a game that will confuse you beyond measure but is still worth the money, go for Saints Row 4.

Other games I've played and enjoyed would be Dishonoured, Tomb Raider, Worms of course, it's a classic (but much more fun with friends), Rayman Legends (Jump n Run game for children, but fun as hell and certainly not as easy as you'd think) and TRINE 2 which too is tons of fun, but more so with friends than when playing alone.

• i_Ross

i_Ross

#16771672 - 5 years ago

Heyyy! Alright, so I'm pretty new to PC gaming too, so if anyone wants to add my steam ID, we'd be friends for life :P Fun games, I find Garrys Mod and DayZ fun :D My steam ID is...

steamcommunity.com/id/oxighostxo/

• StryfeRyder

StryfeRyder FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16771674 - 5 years ago

In reply to possumgumbo, #8:

not to mention, Dishonored has DLC for daayysss if you get hooked.

In reply to leiacorn, #13:

L4D2 is def on my top fun list, but the AI sucks, so I really only find it fun if there are enough ppl for Co-op

• leiacorn

leiacorn

#16771701 - 5 years ago

In reply to StryfeRyder, #16:

True story. I only play with my friends even though they are much more retarded than the AI could possibly be. It's all about finding the right people to play with, IMO L4D2 is pretty lame when you're on your own.

• SrA

SrA

#16772062 - 5 years ago

In reply to PirateBabe, #1:

Some easy ones that are fun to play with friends.... Hmm...
    Well, I love Terarria, especially for the nostalgic 16-bit graphics. X-COM: Enemy Unknown is a good turn-based game. Torchlight is a fun Diablo-type RPG. For tower-defense style games, I would recommend Sanctum (both 1 and 2, each for different reasons), and Dungeon Defenders.

• Edain

Edain

#16773530 - 5 years ago

Summer sales win! Can poke around games for less than $10 and find out what fits your fancy. That's my method at least, turns out my fancy is widespread and schizophrenic haha

• PJTam

PJTam FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16773702 - 5 years ago

This summer sale might be from June 19th - 30th so there's not that much of a wait left. Team Fortress 2 is a must like the others have said, the Left 4 Dead Series, I would suggest Payday and Killing Floor to play with friends, Terraria and Starbound are great fun as well. Also Counter Strike and Half life. You'll find a number of fantastic first person shooters by valve.

Definitely keep your eye on humblebundle or even bundlestars. Honestly I've found most of the games in my library while just searching through the steam store. Go by genre and just look around~

• UnscathedGrunt

UnscathedGrunt FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16775900 - 5 years ago

FTL is one of my must buys. Lots of fun, and a very different Rogue like style game.

• Epicmarkvan

Epicmarkvan

#16776946 - 5 years ago

I'd be down for playing some RTS games, if anyone wants. Preferably Civ 5 and Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.

• StryfeRyder

#16777829 - 5 years ago

In reply to Epicmarkvan, #22:

Not to b a dick, but civ is a TBS not a RTS. Completely different mechanics

• Epicmarkvan

Epicmarkvan

#16777861 - 5 years ago

In reply to StryfeRyder, #23:

Meh, Tomato Tomato...that may not have got the point across, so essentially I view them as the same thing. Colonize, advance through the ages, research technology, get women, get money.

• Zarattini

Zarattini

#16777989 - 5 years ago

well, Left 4 Dead 2 is always a must buy when it comes to steam, and it's an awesome game to play with friends. It never gets old, especially with the variety of mods available

Post edited 6/14/14 9:19PM

• Treviso

Treviso

#16778156 - 5 years ago

In reply to PirateBabe, #1:

My Library right now full of pretty good games: gyazo.com/2d32dbaa651193307024e47ab9da3...
    My Wishlist full of a lot better gr8 games: gyazo.com/10cd0137cc8f8665305bb7b2c0549...

• StryfeRyder

#16778684 - 5 years ago

In reply to Epicmarkvan, #24:

lol, I def feel you, for me the big difference is an RTS I need to drink 3 redbull to play and can't blink, a TBS I can play any time because the natural pauses let you do it while multitasking, while say doing homework or at actual work.

In reply to ItalianIce, #26:

DayZ is still pretty glitchy, it takes some real desire to have that be fun for beginners
    Watchdogs has underwhelmed everyone I know with it, it might be worth getting, just not at full $60 retail. wait a year for it to be $20 unless you really want the multiplayer