Forums > PC Gaming

Looking for a PC-compatible controller

Posts (30)

• Rakolai

Rakolai FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Huntsman

#16927848 - 4 years ago

Lately, I've been looking to buy a controller that I can use to play Steam games with. I know that wired-Xbox 360 controllers work well, but they're also pretty expensive and most stores near me don't carry them anymore. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for reliable 3rd-party controllers that won't break the bank or if I should just buy a 360 controller.

• X_Werewolf_X

X_Werewolf_X 535 Wolf

#16927893 - 4 years ago

Are there any GameStops near you? I don't know if they still do, but at least they used to sell good third party 360 controllers on a reasonable price. I'd like to be more helpful but I don't live in the US /:

• theingramworks

theingramworks

#16927966 - 4 years ago

I've tried the Logitech controller and the Steel controller in the past (been a few years now) and found them to be pretty wonky. Could have just been my setup but either way I was pretty disappointed. I purchased the wireless 360 controller and it worked perfectly without any headaches, so I kinda have to recommend going that way, even though I know they aren't the cheapest. smiley4.gif

I also recently purchased the Xbox One controller and it works really well over wire, though it gives an error message every time I plug it in, but I just clear it and it still works great (appears to be a known issue with the driver).

• RAWRGRIZZLY

RAWRGRIZZLY

#16928443 - 4 years ago

Just about any controller will work third party or not; just keep in mind that while some game pads work well, others will require a little extra time to get right. If you do buy third party you can use software like x360ce to make the game think it's using a 360 controller and sort out any trouble you may have.

I've been using the afterglow PS3 controller from gamestop with x360ce for awhile with no issue.

• xLilCubbie25

xLilCubbie25 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Hoot

#16928801 - 4 years ago

I'd recommend just sticking with the 360 controller. Have you tried checking on eBay for some decent prices? As long as you can find listings with free/low priced shipping, you can get a decent deal on a 360 controller.

• thisaccountisdead

thisaccountisdead FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16928876 - 4 years ago

Check Craigslist for lower prices on 360 controllers, it's honestly the best PC gamepad there is (IMO)

• AcornHunter

AcornHunter

#16931411 - 4 years ago

I've been using a PS2 controller with a USB adapter on my PC for a long time now. However, an Xbox controller is your best bet imo due to many other controllers not being completely compatible on many games.

• Jeff_Blair

Jeff_Blair

#16931546 - 4 years ago

Your best bet is to find a cheap 360 controller. Itll be reliable for most games and some games even have the console ui ported over to pc (ie. skyrim).

• Jeff_Blair

Jeff_Blair

#16931547 - 4 years ago

Your best bet is the wired 360 controller. Itll be the most reliable for the most games and some games even have the console ui ported over to pc (ie. skyrim).

• Rakolai

Rakolai FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Huntsman

#16931764 - 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I went ahead and ordered a wired 360 controller off of Amazon, which should be here by the weekend.

• AcornHunter

AcornHunter

#16931786 - 4 years ago

In reply to Rakolai, #11:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I went ahead and ordered a wired 360 controller off of Amazon, which should be here by the weekend.

Good luck, I hope it works well :)

• Goric

Goric FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16941014 - 4 years ago

Download motioninjoy then a ps3 controller will work. Or get a Logitech at target or walmart

• superspeed27

superspeed27

#16943018 - 4 years ago

I had a Logitech one once but it never worked quite right. They might be better but since then I've just used xbox controllers when I need a controller.

• Goric

Goric FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16943644 - 4 years ago

if you go the xbox controller route does'nt it have to be wired?In reply to superspeed27, #14:

• theingramworks

theingramworks

#16943795 - 4 years ago

In reply to can576, #15:

Only on the Xbox One controller, the version of the 360 for windows comes wireless

• Brownmeister

Brownmeister FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16943905 - 4 years ago

In reply to can576, #15:

The Windows 360 controller is wired, although there is a wireless version but it's not as common to find. I use one to play games such as Saints Row and Tomb Raider. I recommend it above other alternatives just because it has the most support. A lot of controller enabled games these days come with preset profiles for the 360 gamepad, which means you don't have to spend time remapping controls.

• superspeed27

superspeed27

#16945789 - 4 years ago

In reply to can576, #15:

For the 360 it either needs to be wired or a wireless with the dongle. For the xbone controller you just need to have a micro USB cable. If you just connect the xbone controller to your PC with a micro USB to USB cable it becomes a wired controller. Windows should automatically download the driver, and you're good to go.

• Aadrian1234

Aadrian1234

#16947960 - 4 years ago

I have a DualShock 4, using DS4Tool to emulate a 360 gamepad. With that tool you can also change rumble options, your lightbar, and even use wireless with a BlueTooth dongle. And it supports up to 4. So if you don't like the hassle of setting up multiple controller types to work with eachother, just go buy 4 of them for some awesome split-screen gaming with friends.

Or, just get pretty much any other USB controller that mimics the XBox/ PS controllers, and use x360ce, which also supports 4 controllers at the same time. Though, for x360ce, you need to place the files for it into the folder that contains the .exe files that starts the game for it to use it, as x360ce temporarily injects it's own files into the game, while DS4Tool runs alongside the game. And, since x360ce just emulates whatever you are using into Xinput (what xbox uses for their controller input), you can just customize the button input to mimic an xbox controller's input

• SaintRogue

SaintRogue

#16949495 - 4 years ago

I'd say just stick with the 360 controller, it's cheaper than most if not all third-party ones, and I gave them a google search and found one for $18. I personally use a Razer Sanertooth, but it does break the bank a little, so I wouldn't recommend it if you just want something to get the job done.

• theingramworks

theingramworks

#16949500 - 4 years ago

In reply to SaintRogue, #21:

How is the Sabertooth compared to the Xbox controllers? I've been considering it, but not having any to test with, I've been wary on pulling the trigger?

• SaintRogue

SaintRogue

#16949505 - 4 years ago

I was worried about the tiny triggers as well since I have large hands, but surprisingly they work just as good if not better. Size does indeed not matter, evidently. You can watch this for more info I'm not willing to type :P:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=P877_sICB0w

• theingramworks

theingramworks

#16949515 - 4 years ago

In reply to SaintRogue, #23:

Awesome, thanks for the info smiley0.gif

• jdog90000

jdog90000

#16950769 - 4 years ago

I'm not exactly sure what breaks the bank but on amazong this www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Controller...

is only $30 and the off brand ones are like $15. I have a 360 wired for windows and I just recently got a xOne wired for around $50 off amazon and they both work great.

• sigma476

sigma476 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16951773 - 4 years ago

Your best bet is a 360 controller, since most games focused around controller play are moddled around that. You would need the controller, an adapter if it's wireless (and a charging cable won't work) and the driver to manage the input,

• wolfymaster1

wolfymaster1

#16998505 - 4 years ago

i use this one www.amazon.com/Power-Xbox-360-Warfighter-Edition-Controller/dp/B0090ON0U4 it requires no drivers and it is super cool it has fans to cool your hands when they sweat and the LED lights can help if you have the lights off (i personally keep them off) but yeah, The only complaint i could possible have about this controller is that it is a little small but then again im a 6'1 male. so i have big hands could be a big problem