Forums > Philosophy & Theology

The Butterfly Effect

Posts (11)

• Dane_SFC

Dane_SFC

#10849053 - 11 years ago

ButterflyRed.jpg

c6e022f325ba37fb64b6caaf7be9a383.png

The butterfly effect is a phrase which encapsulates the more technical notion of sensitive dependence on initial conditions in chaos theory. Small variations of the initial condition of a nonlinear dynamical system may produce large variations in the long term behavior of the system.

The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that ultimately cause a tornado to appear (or prevent a tornado from appearing). The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale phenomena. Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different.

Just think... If you didn't waste your time reading this then you would be 1 minute 'ahead' in your life. This 1 minute of difference will spiral out of control, eventually causing your life to deviate drastically from where it would have headed if you didn't read this.

There is no such thing as 'God'

There is no such thing as 'Destiny'

I make my own decisions.

• Satarus

Satarus

#10849414 - 11 years ago

In reply to Dane_SFC, #1:

I think you are taking things a bit to the extreme there. Its simply the mathematical idea that small changes to an initial setting can have extreme effects on the entire system. Think of it this way. You stand on a mountain and you set a ball down. Moving that ball a few inches either way could drastically alter where it ends up. Then again, maybe not.

• Dane_SFC

Dane_SFC

#10849560 - 11 years ago

Just think about it... When you read that comment and decided to reply, it changed your life. You would be doing something else right now if you hadn't have. Then in 15 years your life will have taken a totally different path to where it could have.

• Satarus

Satarus

#10849915 - 11 years ago

In reply to Dane_SFC, #3:

Nope. I'll likely forget I ever posted this. Since I'm waiting for people to return my phone calls before I can get some real work done here, even my lack of posting would not have likely resulted in me doing anything different. I mean what would I do? Post in some other thread?

• KWierso

KWierso AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#10850979 - 11 years ago

In reply to Satarus, #4:

Solve world hunger.

• GIJooWarHero

GIJooWarHero

#10852384 - 11 years ago

In reply to KWierso, #5:

Maybe the reason world hunger isn't solved is because everytime we try to work on it, the butterfly effect comes into play which some how makes things worse.

HA!

• Dane_SFC

Dane_SFC

#10855507 - 11 years ago

In reply to GIJooWarHero, #6:

Not necessarily worse, just sending us on a different path to that if we hadn't have helped.

• Webinator

Webinator

#10856355 - 11 years ago

In reply to Dane_SFC, #7:

But what if the path the chaos theory/butterfly effect sends you down was already predestined?
    What if you had to create this thread?
    Its all speculation man. no one can really prove that they would have done something hugely different later in life if they changed something seemingly insignificant in their past. maybe they have no other option than the path they "chose"

• the_bloke

the_bloke

#10857092 - 11 years ago

You are the fucking man!! But dont over use the phrase and get it confused with the domino effect!!!

• GIJooWarHero

GIJooWarHero

#10857587 - 11 years ago

What if the thought about creating this topic was the reason the my girlfriend broke up with me? Maybe it somehow correlates into me hunting down the creator of said topic and enacting nasty revenge? Not saying I would. Maybe it was the overall creation of this thread that stopped me from going on a bloody rampage. Who knows?

• NaraVara

NaraVara FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Politics Forum Mod and P

#10857619 - 11 years ago

What if somebody actually said something intelligent in this thread that wasn't covered in the Fate/Free Will thread?

Maybe it wouldn't have been locked?