Forums > Politics & Current Events

This is how jobless idiots kill time

Posts (47)

• jclfjanet

jclfjanet FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#13162298 - 9 years ago

While everyone else is grinding at their jobs, they are STEALING OUR FREAKING PARKING SPOTS!!!!

GRRRRRR smiley5.gif

www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/sep/19/parking-spots-briefly-turned-parks/?uniontrib

For those who don't want to read the article, it pretty much says that jobless morons (and the dumb strain of college students who think that they're better than everyone) took parking spaces in big cities all across the U.S. and turned them into various pointless things- like lounges and stages, and pottery classes, etc. And they sang songs and performed Shakespeare and all that noise.

Why?

Because they are making a social statement about how cars are dominating the landscape of urban centers. Blah blah blah

The problem? They did this shit on a Friday!!! When people need to find parking spots for work!

People were doing this in busy cities on a busy work day! Why can't they do this crap on a Sunday morning?!?!? It's the rudest, most self-important crap I've ever heard of! I work in Downtown and had a co-worker who was picking up lunch for some people in Little Italy and ran into these jerks taking up a prime parking spot!

Seriously, I don't care if you want to make a social statement, but don't impede on other people's lives to do so. You don't have that right!
    These people are pretentious jerks who feel like they have the right to put other people out because they think people who drive cars are evil and polluting the environment. Boo hooo hoo.

No. I drive a car because I live 30 minutes down the freeway and have a long way to commute to work. If I was rich and could afford to live in downtown and walk to work, I FREAKING WOULD!

They act like we ENJOY driving cars and battling for parking spots. Holier than thou crap, in my opinion!

“Converting a parking space into something else challenges people's assumption about how space is used and allows them to reimagine the possibilities of the urban landscape,†Passmore said.â€Â

That’s a quote from the article. “Challenge my assumption about how space is used?†Reimagine the possibilities of the urban landscape?â€Â
    I’m not making “assumptions†a parking space is used for PARKING CARS!

Bottom line: you don't have the right to make a social statement in a way that directly impededs on the lives of people who don't agree with you. Parking is hard to find in busy cities- taking people's parking spots and forcing them to drive around looking for somewhere else to park is putting hardworking people out of the way. Just do it on a day that's not as busy- like sunday morning!

• pal_sch

pal_sch

#13162383 - 9 years ago

In reply to jclfjanet, #1:

What exactly is the point in a demonstration that doesn't disrupt anything?

• jclfjanet

jclfjanet FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#13162880 - 9 years ago

Like the tea party/tea baggers (depending on your political affiliation0 LOL). Here in San Diego, they were picketting in the park by the USS Midway museum. They weren't blocking people on the road, they weren't in the walkway, etc.

Or UFCW union workers who pickett outside of grocery stores during contract disputes. They aren't allowed to block people from entering the grocery store, the tea party people aren't allowed to block the road, abortion protesters aren't allowed to block entrances to clinics, etc.

I'm just saying that you can make a social statement without preventing OTHER people from living their lives or carrying out their tasks.

• Duste

Duste

#13162987 - 9 years ago

In reply to jclfjanet, #3:

Depends.
    The point of protests usually is to disrupt the normal routine of others, to draw attention to an issue.

• mobius87

mobius87

#13163003 - 9 years ago

Unfortunately all that does is piss other people off. I agree with jclfjanet, protesting is fine, but dont' harm or impede others to do it. There are other ways to draw attention.

• Duste

Duste

#13163010 - 9 years ago

In reply to mobius87, #5:

But.... the point of protesting is to piss people off, to get their attention for an issue.

Imagine if instead of sitting at busy lunch counters in protest, the Black civil rights movement sat on their front porches with signs.
    Not saying they're of the same caliber... but the general idea of protest has taken a shocking turn in the popular American opinion.

• Livein5

Livein5

#13163197 - 9 years ago

hahahaa, oh wait.. Im part of that group of people... Dayum.

• DoNothing69

DoNothing69

#13163214 - 9 years ago

I like this kind of protest. So the great unwashed jobless hippies cause some parking problems for one day. It just highlights our reliance on the car. I know I couldn't go a day without my car which I am ashamed of.

• LBCountry

LBCountry

#13163580 - 9 years ago

In reply to pal_sch, #2:

What's the point of a demonstration if it doesn't mean anything to anyone who has the power to meet the goals of the demonstrators? It's not like the guy commuting to work is capable, even if he wanted to, of replacing his parking lot with trees or pottery. It's a place of business, and owned by whoever owns the building, who probably doesn't have to come into work every day across town.

Don't like cars? Join a lobby against their use, or create one if it doesn't exist. You're not going to do shit by fucking with peoples' ability to park for a day.

• jclfjanet

#13163964 - 9 years ago

In reply to LBCountry, #9:

I agree. +1ditto to you, LBCountry.

These people are not gaining any ground by inconveniencing the regular people who just want to go about their business. They don't care about your cause and aren't going to join your cause because you forced them to notice you.

There are indeed a lot more proactive things to do about cars polluting urban areas rather than sitting in parking spots.

• Duste

Duste

#13163978 - 9 years ago

You assume they are the target.
    Rather, you should assume they'll complain to the target.

• pal_sch

pal_sch

#13164028 - 9 years ago

In reply to LBCountry, #9:

In reply to jclfjanet, #10:

Matthew Passmore, who helped start Park(ing) Day, said the concept strikes a chord with urban dwellers everywhere because they're dealing with similar issues of traffic congestion and pollution. The temporary parks highlight the fact that curbside parking “results in increased traffic, wasted fuel and more pollution,†Passmore said.

He cites a study by Donald Shoup, a professor of urban planning at the University of California Los Angeles, that found drivers spent an average of 3.3 minutes, or half a mile, circling the block in search of a parking space. Over a year, vehicles traveled 950,000 miles  the equivalent of 38 trips around the Earth  just looking for a parking spot. Shoup said many drivers would rather cruise for open spots on the street than park in higher-priced lots and garages.

“Converting a parking space into something else challenges people's assumption about how space is used and allows them to reimagine the possibilities of the urban landscape,†Passmore said.

Organizers said many cities have been supportive, even when miniparks occupy a parking space beyond the time limit.

It seems to me that they both have good ideas about why and how they are doing this, good organisation and contacts and a pretty proactive attitude.

• SMGstring

SMGstring

#13164064 - 9 years ago

Seems to me like these guys should have just picketed by the spaces to get the word out instead of actually taking those spaces up and messing up other peoples' day, They may have good intentions, but if you want to protest do it in a less disruptive manner.

• LBCountry

LBCountry

#13164092 - 9 years ago

In reply to pal_sch, #12:

It seems to me that they both have good ideas about why and how they are doing this, good organisation and contacts and a pretty proactive attitude.

And no real plan to get stuff changed. It allows people to reimagine the possibilities of an urban landscape, but it doesn't actually CHANGE anything.

In reply to Duste, #11:

That's the dumbest plan I've ever heard. If you want change, complain DIRECTLY to the people who can make the change, don't try to encourage other people to do it for you.

• Duste

Duste

#13164106 - 9 years ago

In reply to LBCountry, #14:

Ah, but why do people chose protest?
    Because they can't get to the people who can change, or they need to spread awareness about the issue to make it mainstream enough to become considered.

Politics isn't about doing it yourself, it's about building networks.

• Duste

Duste

#13164110 - 9 years ago

In reply to SMGstring, #13:

But who would have cared?

• LBCountry

LBCountry

#13164119 - 9 years ago

In reply to Duste, #15:

I've worked in politics and seen first hand how people get what they need from politicians. Taking over parking stalls of working people isn't what works.

In fact, why would you think the people whose parking spots were taken would complain or even AGREE with the protesters. Seems the people they'd naturally be mad at would be the protesters, not the people PROVIDING the parking stalls.

Your position is all kinds of flawed.

• Duste

Duste

#13164127 - 9 years ago

But it gets attention, and for every 10 people they pissed off, they got 1 convert.
    Grassroots disobedience is a classic dude.

So they'd complain about the protesters.
    Oh, what protesters?
    Some guys were protesting because....

There, now their message is spread again.

• Duste

Duste

#13164132 - 9 years ago

Also, we're not talking "politicians"
    We're talking municipal councilors and civil service.

• LBCountry

LBCountry

#13164137 - 9 years ago

In reply to Duste, #18:

Do you have stats on that? I'm willing to bet they got less than 1 in 100 business people who got fucked out of their parking spots to agree with them. They get almost no attention, and will be forgotten by all but a few people by next week. They've reached no politicians directly, and their message is spread by people who hate their message.

I'm done. Got better things to do, and more legitimate arguments to consider.

• pal_sch

pal_sch

#13164158 - 9 years ago

In reply to LBCountry, #14:

Look at the picture in the article. There is a tram in the background. The parking spaces they took up are short stay, the sort outside shops and on main roads. The sort you don't actually use when you are at work. The sort that people use to drive from shop to shop to avoid a ten minute walk or using public transport.

They weren't blocking people looking for work. They were blocking people looking for shortcuts and price cuts in an ineffective manner. Making it harder for people to find parking will probably deter some of them from doing it this way in the future, moving them to the more efficient lots and garages where they just drive in and park rather than cruising the streets. Or, better still, getting them to use that tram.

• Duste

Duste

#13164232 - 9 years ago

In reply to LBCountry, #20:

Business people arn't the only ones in a city.

As well, enjoy these, they're interesting

• Duste

Duste

#13164237 - 9 years ago

In reply to LBCountry, #20:

Of course, you've forgotten about the media, and the other social activist groups they are now exposed to.

So...

• Duste

Duste

#13164637 - 9 years ago

And finally, it seems that, from the article anyway, the only people upset by this are the ones in this thread.

• nottashizno

nottashizno

#13165023 - 9 years ago

This Is How Jobless Idiots Make Poles